DangerClose

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
ISSUE:
Ordered a Mopar rolling soft cover for 2021 Mojave, only to find out during installation instructions my jeep did not have lower threaded holes (to mount the cover to the bed). This issue is found on some newer Jeep beds where the threaded holes are now open.

NOTE: we did not purchase a rivet nut tool, we used some tutorials on Youtube and did it with a wrench and washers/nuts.

124966-e7bfcb40a7c4ee81e19c5a76f36b4b14.jpg

You will find a few different topitcs on the site but here are the steps taken to fix.

PARTS NEEDED: (this is for the Mopar rolling cover that comes with the M8 bolts to mount)
  • Stepping Bit to open hole a little- we got from Lowes - $20 (optional if drilling is required to fit the rivnut into the bed directly)
  • Stainless Steel Rivnuts $9 (M8 threaded from Amazon or wherever)
  • M8 hex head tool - $0 (we used the Jeep rachet/head)
  • open ended wrench / adjustable wrench (to hold the screw in place as you ratchet)
  • other washers / screws to fit over the bolt to cause the rivnut to lock in place. Use these tutorials.
STEPS:
  • Use the stepping tool to drill into the holes and clean-up (if bedliner) or widen as required to fit rivet nut into the hole - use CAUTION when drilling as the stepping bit will quick tear into your bed and you will have a huge hole. So cut small and refit a few times. The fit should be snug for the rivet nut
124974-6a1cf9b866d84fdc8f7570dd9ec54d49.jpg

• Insert the rivet nut Frankenstein setup (if not using the rivnut tool) and tighten - keep the open ended wrench in place and spin the ratchet only.
124968-6befc285b96129288d955b4ec319629d.jpg

124975-93a66c6331a2c73b13f8da782938d661.jpg

124976-eda4a98d1d39ee0c8f3664c92ec71514.jpg

• Tighten the bolt until the rivet nut expands on the back of the bed - do not over tighten or you could get bad threads - check the tutorials on youtube for other ways to tighten and install - see the setup we used below as the 'tightener'
124977-fc11ede1739de0e816161cc3a2b6bfba.jpg

• Once tightened it will expand and act as the permanent threaded screw for the top installation.
124978-35fd3d9ecbfdc82849979289f97a7574.jpg

• Repeat on the other side and mount the bed as required.
I hope this helps those that buy hardware and suddenly realize there are no threads in the bed of their Gladiator :(

ntreads1.jpg

rivnut8.jpg

rivnut2.jpg

rivnut3.jpg

rivnut.jpg

rivnut6.jpg

rivnut7.jpg

rivnut5.jpg
Sponsored

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
Nice write up.
As any FYI, I used 1/4-20 riv nuts and did not need to enlarge the holes. I then used my own hardware to install my brackets.

OP
OP
DangerClose

DangerClose

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks for the feedback...

The local truck pros that work for the dealer were doing the same thing - with the bolts below (from Lowe's I think) - since the bolts really don't need a ton of pressure to hold a bed cover, they were just inserting them instead - went with the rivet nuts and stainless and the Mopar hardware for a cleaner look. 1/4" screw and would push them through - seem to be working fine for most customers he said.

125050-7b05031fb2af06179a6df1ec7e2de325.jpg

bolts.jpg

KimAnn

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
web developer
ISSUE:
Ordered a Mopar rolling soft cover for 2021 Mojave, only to find out during installation instructions my jeep did not have lower threaded holes (to mount the cover to the bed). This issue is found on some newer Jeep beds where the threaded holes are now open.

NOTE: we did not purchase a rivet nut tool, we used some tutorials on Youtube and did it with a wrench and washers/nuts.

Jeep Gladiator Installing Rivet Nuts (rivnuts) when you don't have threaded holes bolts

You will find a few different topitcs on the site but here are the steps taken to fix.

PARTS NEEDED: (this is for the Mopar rolling cover that comes with the M8 bolts to mount)
  • Stepping Bit to open hole a little- we got from Lowes - $20 (optional if drilling is required to fit the rivnut into the bed directly)
  • open ended wrench / adjustable wrench (to hold the screw in place as you ratchet)
  • other washers / screws to fit over the bolt to cause the rivnut to lock in place. Use these tutorials.
STEPS:
  • Use the stepping tool to drill into the holes and clean-up (if bedliner) or widen as required to fit rivet nut into the hole - use CAUTION when drilling as the stepping bit will quick tear into your bed and you will have a huge hole. So cut small and refit a few times. The fit should be snug for the rivet nut
Jeep Gladiator Installing Rivet Nuts (rivnuts) when you don't have threaded holes bolts

• Insert the rivet nut Frankenstein setup (if not using the rivnut tool) and tighten - keep the open ended wrench in place and spin the ratchet only.

• Tighten the bolt until the rivet nut expands on the back of the bed - do not over tighten or you could get bad threads - check the tutorials on youtube for other ways to tighten and install - see the setup we used below as the 'tightener'

• Once tightened it will expand and act as the permanent threaded screw for the top installation.

I hope this helps those that buy hardware and suddenly realize there are no threads in the bed of their Gladiator :(

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation, the pics, everything. Searched high and low for this exact information. Even talked to my dealer, they aren't even aware of the issue yet. Just ordered these rivnuts and can't wait to get my tonneau cover on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DangerClose

DangerClose

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation, the pics, everything. Searched high and low for this exact information. Even talked to my dealer, they aren't even aware of the issue yet. Just ordered these rivnuts and can't wait to get my tonneau cover on.
No problemo. We had a full bag of 30 we could have sent you a few. Be sure not to over drill the bed when putting them in if you're using a stepping bit - it will chew threw that bed like it's butter.

KimAnn

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
web developer
No problemo. We had a full bag of 30 we could have sent you a few. Be sure not to over drill the bed when putting them in if you're using a stepping bit - it will chew threw that bed like it's butter.
Good advice thanks. And yea, same here- going to have 28 extra rivnuts for the taking.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Nice write up.
As any FYI, I used 1/4-20 riv nuts and did not need to enlarge the holes. I then used my own hardware to install my brackets.
Thanks. I ordered this size and it worked perfectly. I can finally secure the upper corners of my Rough Country Molle panel. One weird thing, the passenger side was an oval shape, so the nutsert is not fully seated. The driver side hole was round, so I thought that was strange. I’m not worried about the passenger side one coming out though, it’s still pretty secure. Just odd…

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
The Gladiator sheet metal is very thin and I would recommend adding a washer and especially a stainless fender washer on the back side of the sheet metal to spread the load around. You would have to hold it in place against the sheet metal while expanding the Rivnut so it doesn't mushroom prematurely and leave a gap between the washer and sheet metal.

jonsheritahe04

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2018 F250 Super Duty
Occupation
IT Support
Guys, thanks for the write up. I installed mine last week on my 21 and had the same issue. Wrote to RC on solutions, no response. Found this thread, took your feedback/experiences, used the 8mm RivNuts, worked like a champ. This is the best forum

FalKor JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
ISSUE:

STEPS:

I just did this and it worked great!
Jeep Gladiator Installing Rivet Nuts (rivnuts) when you don't have threaded holes E4460C03-D05F-410B-BBCE-31FCCAABC420
Jeep Gladiator Installing Rivet Nuts (rivnuts) when you don't have threaded holes E4460C03-D05F-410B-BBCE-31FCCAABC420

C1803096-FF00-421F-A077-88BD9B76ECBB.jpeg

7ECCD02C-E0EE-4301-8FF5-414E4C14C5EC.jpeg
Sponsored