Sponsored

Interior Rattle help

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I chased a similar rattle for close to 3 weeks and would have sworn it was coming from the passenger top dash area near the speaker. Tore the dash almost all apart and the A - Pillar trim off to no avail.

Finally while driving, I pushed up on the passenger side Freedom Panel top and notice the sounds went away and came back when I took pressure off.

My eventual fix was to get some silicone grease and remove the two freedom tops and light film lubricate the seals all around to include the pad are on the front latch. Rattle has been gone for over a month now.

You want to make sure it is silicone grease and not silicone spray as the spray last maybe a day at most and it will be back. Do not use any regular petroleum base grease at it will degrade the seal.
Sponsored

DIABOLIK

First Name
dwain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
check that the 4 bolts that over the cross bar that hold down the roof are fully tightened...I almost brought mine into the dealership to figure out the rattle...saved myself some grief. It was probably a month after I'd last had the roof off that the noise started and it sounded like it was coming from inside the driver door or column where the seatbelt was, turns out that the bolts vibrated loose and were the cause of the sound.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Do service depts actually work on interior rattles under warranty? (I.E. free of charge?) I have a similar rattle but only occurs when hitting a series of bumps, but more of a concern is what sounds like a friggin marble rolling around inside the dash. Can't wait to find out what nut or bolt came loose and completely fell from its designated location. Maybe this is part of what causes the radio to short out and reset, or the rigs we've seen go up in smoke from loose electrical connectors/wires?

Pazzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
check that the 4 bolts that over the cross bar that hold down the roof are fully tightened...I almost brought mine into the dealership to figure out the rattle...saved myself some grief. It was probably a month after I'd last had the roof off that the noise started and it sounded like it was coming from inside the driver door or column where the seatbelt was, turns out that the bolts vibrated loose and were the cause of the sound.
Thanks for the info. I recently developed what sounded like a door creak and with the help of my wife, we determined it is actually coming from the passenger side of the freedom top. I check the bolts, some were loose and it seemed to help for a brief period of time. The rattle has become progressively worse and I have an appoint for Thursday.

I guess it's the price for paying more for the freedom top. smh..

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Do service depts actually work on interior rattles under warranty? (I.E. free of charge?) I have a similar rattle but only occurs when hitting a series of bumps, but more of a concern is what sounds like a friggin marble rolling around inside the dash. Can't wait to find out what nut or bolt came loose and completely fell from its designated location. Maybe this is part of what causes the radio to short out and reset, or the rigs we've seen go up in smoke from loose electrical connectors/wires?
Here is my 2 cents from past experience on getting OEM’s to address squeaks and rattles. In theory, the OEM’s do give the dealerships a set amount of warranty time (usually under an hour) to verify the complaint and then the dealership negotiates with the OEM on what they suspect it is and what they think it will take to address.

In actual use, the squeak or rattle needs to be really obnoxious and readily repeatable for a dealership to address it and deep dive the problem. Things that are ambient or operating temperature related or a special circumstance to repeat the complaint, are going to give you the most grief with the dealership techs say they “cannot duplicate” the complaint. You may even have to insist on a ride along with the tech to show exactly your problem.

Sound complaints that are not readily evident are some of the worst things to trouble shoot as sounds have a habit of tricking the human ear. Something you swear is coming from one area of the vehicle can be actually on the opposite side. Things you swear are inside the vehicle interior, can be under the vehicle suspension related and/or coming from the engine.

Lastly, be prepared that eventually the dealerships if they cannot figure it out, will just hand it back to you and call it “normal” and give up because the OEM will stop paying warranty time to look for it. Then you are on your own to figure it out and most state lemon laws will not cover such complaints unless you can prove it applies to safety and/or degrades vehicle value severely.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pazzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Thanks for the info. I recently developed what sounded like a door creak and with the help of my wife, we determined it is actually coming from the passenger side of the freedom top. I check the bolts, some were loose and it seemed to help for a brief period of time. The rattle has become progressively worse and I have an appoint for Thursday.

I guess it's the price for paying more for the freedom top. smh..
Here's my update from the dealer. it was from the rear of the passengers side freedom top.

Annotation 2019-11-23 165839.jpg

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
I get a minor rattle when I drive on a certain route. It is a newly paved road, not rough but there is a certain texture of the road surface that triggers the sound. I can hear it but not the passenger so it is a very weak rattle.
Seems to come from the point in between the front driver side door near the handle bar and the visor area.

Last edited:

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
Had an annoying rattle just start today could not figure out where it was coming from sounded like it was coming from the center of the dash. After driving around the block multiple times on bumpy rd happen to be that my drivers side visor wasn’t clicked into place ! 😒 Duh

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Check your steering wheel

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Check your steering wheel
I am desperately looking for a fix for this and the dealer isn’t helping.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m gonna try a piece of foam behind mine. Will report back with results

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine figured out. First, remove the two snap covers with small screw driver by popping them out

DF041128-3B29-40B9-AF38-9529802E676E.jpeg

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Next, pull the two 10 mm bolts on each side of wheel

5888EEAF-6B4A-4F89-8F56-BA7E58D2122E.jpeg

02CA2386-D2F1-4FB1-82F4-B09D6C207D4A.jpeg

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
it still made rattle with air bag/horn out of wheel. It was this black piece at bottom of air bag cavity

0FD75C34-CDAF-4E42-93B0-D966C1F552AA.jpeg

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As you can see at very bottom I shimed it with a piece of shipping foam I had laying around.

31EA5F08-6062-4845-99CF-52FC5AF9D977.jpeg
Sponsored