Sponsored

Is Jeep tracking my mileage and everything through U-Connect?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Next I wonder if the telematics box can be disconnected. That box has its own internal cell antenna for if the other two don't work (or they became disconnected somehow) and taps into a lot of stuff. The description of the things it does takes 10 pages of the service manual but some of it is lacking in detail with descriptions such as "enhanced customer experience" and "applications required by government regulation".

I'll probably decide after I see my next "Vehicle Health Report" from Jeep and see if it was able to stay up-to-date even with the two cell antennas disconnected.

Pulling all the umbilical cords is as much a game as it is personally gratifying. Trying to force something upon me that I do not want is a sure way to get me to do everything in my power to get around it. Game on.
I still donā€™t get the claim that itā€™s forced on you. You bought a brand new Jeep and chose that head unit with uconnect. Base sports donā€™t have telematics. You have choice. No one forced you to do a single thing.
Sponsored

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
I still donā€™t get the claim that itā€™s forced on you. You bought a brand new Jeep and chose that head unit with uconnect. Base sports donā€™t have telematics. You have choice. No one forced you to do a single thing.
Okay, I'll state it another way. I bought a vehicle that has some features I did not want. To get all the features I did want, I had to get features I did not want. My choices were 1) not buy anything, 2) buy something else (something that did not have the features I wanted), or 3) buy the vehicle I did want and figure out how to remove the features I did not want. I am removing the features I do not want.

Think of it like de-badging. You could say the badges are "forced on you" because you cannot get a Jeep without them. I am "de-badging".

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I'll state it another way. I bought a vehicle that has some features I did not want. To get all the features I did want, I had to get features I did not want. My choices were 1) not buy anything, 2) buy something else (something that did not have the features I wanted), or 3) buy the vehicle I did want and figure out how to remove the features I did not want. I am removing the features I do not want.

Think of it like de-badging. I am removing something I don't want.
Fair enough.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Think of it like de-badging. You could say the badges are "forced on you" because you cannot get a Jeep without them. I am "de-badging".
Now that makes sense as I like the Mojave, but can't stand the orange around the tailgate JEEP lettering, or a couple of the other "badges" on them. To get what you do want, they bundle things you prefer to not have - or just do not want

I don't have to agree with your goal to understand it. Will be interesting to see how things turn out. Not that I'd ever consider as I'm fine with mine - but I'm by nature very curious and want to see how things go.

Sponsored

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Why do I keep reading posts where people claim the smaller screen isnt unconnect enabled? It absolutely is. I donā€™t think you can buy a JT without a uconnect enabled head unitā€¦ā€¦Unless the older models came with that option.

My 2023 7 inch screen currently has an active WiFi hotspot subscription running on it as well.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I keep reading posts where people claim the smaller screen isnt unconnect enabled? It absolutely is. I donā€™t think you can buy a JT without a uconnect enabled head unitā€¦ā€¦Unless the older models came with that option.

My 2023 7 inch screen currently has an active WiFi hotspot subscription running on it as well.
My 2021 7ā€ has no WiFi, no app, no location, and remote start only works from my key fob.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
My 2021 7ā€ has no WiFi, no app, no location, and remote start only works from my key fob.
I believe they all gained the capability in 22 and 23. Of course now they probably definitely do due to the complete overhaul of the infotainment system.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The 8.4 was standard equipment in the '22 Rubi's. When I ordered mind. The 7" wasn't even listed.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
The 8.4 was standard equipment in the '22 Rubi's. When I ordered mind. The 7" wasn't even listed.
So maybe Iā€™m mixing up the size of my screen then. I definitely have the standard size though and not the upgrade. Uconnect is in all of them by default now it seems. Just a fyi.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I donā€™t think you can buy a JT without a uconnect enabled head unitā€¦ā€¦Unless the older models came with that option.
Early base sport models came with 5 inch screens without any navigation.

Now Rubicons and Mojave come standard with 8.4 and Sports came standard with 7.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Early base sport models came with 5 inch screens without any navigation.

Now Rubicons and Mojave come standard with 8.4 and Sports came standard with 7.
Ok. Makes sense.. I have the 7 inch then. Itā€™s uconnect supported.

Janster

First Name
Jandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Mojave X
Occupation
Biller
I didnā€™t read everything in this threadā€¦but just wanted to chime inā€¦.

I have a 2024 Mojave with the 12.3ā€ Uconnect 5.0.
The UConnect 5.0 is what gets you the wireless carplay.
Sponsored