Sponsored

Is Jeep tracking my mileage and everything through U-Connect?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your rights end at the end of your nose or when your rights interfere with the rights of the larger masses.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like operating out dated vehicles with inferior engineering on public roads?
Driven in limited conditions, limited distances and places and circumstances.
I'm normally more careful with the older tech as I know the braking is inferior, I know that I'm more prone to injury ( and thus would drive up the cost to the public if in an accident).

Not so sure the engineering is inferior in general........... but the safety factors aren't there.
Every accident costs the public, we all pay in the end, regardless of insurance, because there's first responders, their equipment and time, public safety officers, and more.
I'm very aware of the limitations and try to treat them accordingly.

Sort of funny in a way - driving my SX4 on I80 we got into the typical idiots slowing down for no reason other than someone in another lane hit the brakes and for some reason Iowans drop back to 50 mph on I80 at the Altoona exit when it's graded and posted for 65 (EASY) and of course, that slow-down caused the traffic which was heavy at the time to come to a standstill. Big truck, everyone, came pretty much to a stop because of those idiots not knowing how to exit a highway and figured that transition to another highway was a true exit with a stop.
As always, I allow more space when driving my other cars. I was able to stop very quickly without problem (brakes are done way before engines). The fool behind us slammed on their brakes and literally had to slide onto the shoulder, almost into the ditch, to avoid hitting me..
My car stopped better than their 2 year old SUV.
You can't engineer out stupidity of some drivers, and, apparently modern braking isn't always better than 40 year old braking.

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
You mean like operating out dated vehicles with inferior engineering on public roads?
Yes, exactly. Youā€™ve got it now.

And like buying a heavy inefficient 4WD American icon, when you could just walk to work. And, like not being able to choose where you live and if your domicile may be larger that 220sq-ft, because nobody needs a house bigger than that and you have to be able to walk to work. And like not having control over your home thermostat because you donā€™t need it cooler than 83F in the summer. And like when you are not aloud to have more than one kid or any kids at all, because the earth is over-crowded. And like when you should only eat vegetables because animals are carbon heavy, and make you fat and drive up healthcare costs. And like when you should not be entitled to cancer treatment because it cost Medicare too much and youā€™ve already lived a long enough life.

Yeah, see this is fun. We can most definitely run everyone elseā€™s lives better than they can. Sheesh, Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m so much smarter than everyone else.

We can create a technocratic utopia.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, how this morphed.
Tons of pent up anger and hate.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I and a few hundred million Chinamen would probably challenge your view on this.

The CCP is a few steps ahead of the US in terms of authoritarianism. We are discussing this so we can start going in the opposite direction of the CCP.

As for the food and bunker talk, that too we want to lessen the future need for.

Letā€™s be careful not to politicize essential human liberty. The Mods will hijack and delete this thread if people start getting a buttburn.
He was being sarcastic.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Straw-man argument. Although I respect the sentiment.

History is full of these false justifications over the past 50 years. Just sticking to cars:

ā€œSo buy a car without seatbelts thenā€¦
ā€¦without fuel injection
ā€¦without ABS
ā€¦without stability control
ā€¦without airbags
ā€¦without the seatbelt door chime
ā€¦without a catalytic converter
ā€¦which is not an EV
ā€¦which canā€™t be pushed updates (OTA)
ā€¦that canā€™t tattleā€¦

Wether any of these are good or bad has nothing to do with it. They were all slowly and insidiously pushed by the unelected administrative state. The whole time, mostly well intentioned people said, ā€œrelax, your being dramatic, you have full controlā€

To believe there can be no free, prosperous, and rationale middle ground between a robot serf of the state, and an uncontacted tribe living in the Amazon is a false contrast. Serfdom is the clear design intent within all of this.
All your listed supposed examples are safety items, or environmental improvements. Not one of them has to do with your privacy. And ā€œunelected administrative stateā€?! Only if you choose not to vote.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
Today I disconnected the two cellular antennas from the back of my radio. I don't use any "connected" services, I don't want any unplanned Uconnect updates, and I don't need anyone telling me how many miles I've driven or how old my oil is or what my tire pressures are. All went well except one of those little plastic bezel clips came off and fell into the dash somewhere. Those little buggers cost $3.30 each!

Or do UConnect updates come through Nav/Satellite?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Tin foil hat time!

You as the owner and end user can control everything if you choose.......its a matter of convenience vs security. So you have to choose whether you want the cake or not. Fuses, antenna removal and other actions can assist in you privacy....but lose some functionality.

Again......pick your poison

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Today I disconnected the two cellular antennas from the back of my radio. I don't use any "connected" services, I don't want any unplanned Uconnect updates, and I don't need anyone telling me how many miles I've driven or how old my oil is or what my tire pressures are. All went well except one of those little plastic bezel clips came off and fell into the dash somewhere. Those little buggers cost $3.30 each!

Or do UConnect updates come through Nav/Satellite?
Not mocking you......your money, your rig....your decisions.

Jeep Gladiator Is Jeep tracking my mileage and everything through U-Connect? 1711658893550-nd

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No need for tin foil, for a hat or otherwise. The antennas are disconnected so I have no need to wrap anything in foil to prevent transmission/reception.

No poison to be picked. I lost exactly 0% of "convenience". I do not use or want the hot spot. I do not use or want any of the "connected" services. I gained control over when and where or if any Uconnect updates occur. I no longer have mommy Mopar looking over my shoulder telling me I'm a good boy for having proper tire pressures and doing my maintenance on time. Everything was a gain, nothing was a loss, and it can be put back like it was in less than 10 minutes at no cost. It is a complete and total win.
I'm not judging you man.

You do you and be happy!

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
Sorry. I posted that then noticed it was a post from you I was responding to. I deleted it as soon as I realized my mistake. We've already shared a beer. We're good.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
Next I wonder if the telematics box can be disconnected. That box has its own internal cell antenna for if the other two don't work (or they became disconnected somehow) and taps into a lot of stuff. The description of the things it does takes 10 pages of the service manual but some of it is lacking in detail with descriptions such as "enhanced customer experience" and "applications required by government regulation".

I'll probably decide after I see my next "Vehicle Health Report" from Jeep and see if it was able to stay up-to-date even with the two cell antennas disconnected.

Pulling all the umbilical cords is as much a game as it is personally gratifying. Trying to force something upon me that I do not want is a sure way to get me to do everything in my power to get around it. Game on.
Sponsored