Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
IFS putting a heavy load on the rear raises the front a bit, making the camber change on. Toe could change if it was enough of a lift on the front.
A solid front axle - what the toe and camber are can't change.

The transfer case in a JT is different in that unless you are in 4wd auto, the front drive shaft does nothing.

If your commander had the NV247 it should have never ever worn a front shaft as the front whees aren't given much torque unless there is a fair rotational difference front to rear, then a clutch pack applies and gives equal torque to both. Even the later 245 is similar - 52/48 with the front getting full power only if there's a rotational difference then a clutch applies.
There's no reason that front shaft should have gone even once since the main pull is the rear wheels.
I would not trade just for that but the version in the XJ and ZJ were Great. If I could have gotten with my diesel JT I would have
Sponsored

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
IFS putting a heavy load on the rear raises the front a bit, making the camber change on. Toe could change if it was enough of a lift on the front.
A solid front axle - what the toe and camber are can't change.

The transfer case in a JT is different in that unless you are in 4wd auto, the front drive shaft does nothing.

If your commander had the NV247 it should have never ever worn a front shaft as the front whees aren't given much torque unless there is a fair rotational difference front to rear, then a clutch pack applies and gives equal torque to both. Even the later 245 is similar - 52/48 with the front getting full power only if there's a rotational difference then a clutch applies.
There's no reason that front shaft should have gone even once since the main pull is the rear wheels.
You're spot-on with the alignment issue. Airbags in the rear springs helped save the fronts from scrubbing off the outside tread. Not sure why front shafts failed. I assume from driveline angle being nose-high because the joint failed (started howling and rumbling on the fwy one day). I suspect the second was just defective - cracked.
Overall, much happier towing with the JT vs the XK. Anything over 5K lbs was sketchy as hell with the XK.