Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I do have the LSD with the HT tires.
I just find it interesting that the Wrangler JLU (Soft Top) with both the LSD and HT tires doesn't have the same issue. I know there is a weight difference and a wheel base difference, but it isn't that much of a difference,
I would imagine the JLU has a lot more weight over the rear tires than the JT. Heck, that spare tire hanging off the back and the back seat even helps the JLU
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Or a GOBI!

My takeaway from reading through this thread is sure it's worth it... UNLESS you've got a Gator. Then it's not.

I concur.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Only you can decide if it is worth trading it in.

What I can give you is some insight into Selec-Trac: it is one of those features you do not really appreciate until you have it.

I have Selec-Trac on my JL. I live in the PNW; we have some type of moisture in the roads 9 months of the year. It is easy to get the rear wheels to spin. I engage Selec-Trac in the fall and leave it engaged until spring, or if I engage part-time 4WD on the trail. The Jeep drives so much more planted, composed and secure.

Knowing what I know now, I would have a hard time going to a Jeep without Selec-Trac.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Tax isn't a factor. I live in Maryland we only pay tax on the difference in price between the trade vehicle and the new vehicle. Since the Jeep market in my area is crazy right now I would only be paying tax on the additional amount of the new JT. It makes trading in an old car for a new car more affordable.
Got it! Thanks for your reply.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Fun question: Has anyone seen or ordered a Rubicon with selec-trac? I haven't been able to find one in dealer inventory anywhere.

My latest annoying analysis paralysis is gas+selec-trac vs diesel. I would definitely get use out of AWD, but my soul yearns for that diesel....

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Fun question: Has anyone seen or ordered a Rubicon with selec-trac? I haven't been able to find one in dealer inventory anywhere.

My latest annoying analysis paralysis is gas+selec-trac vs diesel. I would definitely get use out of AWD, but my soul yearns for that diesel....
It is called Rock Trac on the Rubicon. Search sites do no make the Selec Trac and Rock Trac options easy to find. Even dealers websites do not have the option identified in the option menu.
I have found the Selec Trac Mojaves on Cars.com by entering Selec in key word. Some, but I am sure not all show up. Just tried Rock Trac in the search and they show up:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/830788253/overview/

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
It is called Rock Trac on the Rubicon. Search sites do no make the Selec Trac and Rock Trac options easy to find. Even dealers websites do not have the option identified in the option menu.
Nice catch! Yeah Jeep's website doesn't let you search by rock-trac. Forgot it was a different name.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Live in Minneapolis. I have KO2s. It’s been great in 2WD. No issues. You just can’t drive like an ass. In some ways, I think it’s safer.

that being said, if it had been available to me I would have gotten it....mostly for my wife.

CC2

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport s Max tow
Vehicle Showcase
It is a good feature to have if you live in colder climates. Lots of black ice after snow events, thaw freeze cycle. Roads will we dry, but many areas will have black ice that you cannot see and don't have time to shift to 4wd.
Just a nice feature to have. Not really needed, but you don't need it until you do. Use it all the time in my F150
Good comment on black ice.. I am in Mn so it is nice and my wife likes it so she does not need to think about shifting in and out of 4hi when it is marginally slippery

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have 20 rubi with stock Falken tires have been thru many snow storms no issues with traction on any surfaces, wet or frozen, have rarely put it in 4wd and never felt Any compelling need for full time select trac. But in hilly winter city driving it would help with certain tasks like pulling away from intersections. Shift on the fly is a practical backup option for rare needs for relatively quick extra traction. So I’ve been perfectly content with my 20 glad and would find zero incentive to trade only for select trac. Honestly it was a concern at purchase time due to my other SUV having it but I have zero regrets. Traction control has been very effective in stopping skid on corners. Tires and driving habits are the number one factor in skidding, stopping or any form of loss of friction with road surface. Select trac won’t fix tires or driving habits.

Sponsored

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good comment on black ice.. I am in Mn so it is nice and my wife likes it so she does not need to think about shifting in and out of 4hi when it is marginally slippery
Why do you see so many SUVs in the ditch... black ice and drivers thinking their full time AWD is a solution, it’s not. Black ice causes loss of friction with road surface on all tires, no form of AWD or 4WD has any significant value the solution is drive cautiously

Reactions: BDK

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Absolutely not. My sport S came with the upgraded all Terrain tires and it is handling this current storm on the east coast wonderfully. 12" snow/ice mix in 4H... get better tires.

OP
OP
berb

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher

phreak480

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubi
Occupation
U.S. Army
Too bad it can't be had on the diesel... A diesel Rubicon with the auto case would be epic.
Sponsored