Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had an XJ with Full Time 4WD. I used it once in a great while when the pavement was in a wet-dry-snow-wet-dry situation. Otherwise, all it did was use more gas unnecessarily. Sounds like the JT Select-Trac doesn't engage unless it's necessary. That's nice, but I still don't see the need for it.
Funny thing - today I drove through the results of our massive storm - 40 minutes down, 40 back - partially plowed roads, going down, some were not plowed at all. I'd say I was in 4wd 90% of the time. I watched the average and current MPG and it sure didn't seem any different than the first 80 miles I put on this tank. I figured it would be lower but I didn't see any appreciable difference.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Weight transfer is a big part of the equation especially with a pickup truck around 3/4 of the weight is on front end on it empty. (2 door) my MJ is a prime example not the same with my JT average weight is 5660 lbs with 2920 lbs front axle weight the rest on back axle. Almost ballanced front to rear. The reason FWD and AWD perform better on slick / snow roads is weight is on front end and pulling not pushing.... To a point. Jeep's AWD system in the XJ and Grand Cherokee's of the past lost a few MPG over Command Trac for you guys in snow and ice country a good trade off over mpg loss. "IMHO"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Weight transfer is a big part of the equation especially with a pickup truck around 3/4 of the weight is on front end on it empty. (2 door) my MJ is a prime example not the same with my JT average weight is 5660 lbs with 2920 lbs front axle weight the rest on back axle. Almost ballanced front to rear. The reason FWD and AWD perform better on slick / snow roads is weight is on front end and pulling not pushing.... To a point. Jeep's AWD system in the XJ and Grand Cherokee's of the past lost a few MPG over Command Trac for you guys in snow and ice country a good trade off over mpg loss. "IMHO"
AMC dropped "Select-Drive" in the Eagle because their studies found only 1 mpg difference between full-time 4wd and the ability to select 2 wheel drive.
The result - all later Eagles were full-time 4 wheel drive, no ability to shift to 2wd.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had my JT fishtail more than once with the stock Overland H/T tires. They are horrible on black ice, snow pack, etc.
I have a set of the JT tires on rims I'd not "run" them of choice in wet let alone ice and snow conditions. 👍

I'd like to have the AMC Eagle that someone I knew as a kid had, it was his fishing and go anywhere car.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder - is that similar to what Chevy put in Silverado years ago - 4wd "auto" mode - it sensed slippage and engaged based on that. I left it in auto all the time and that truck was almost unstoppable.
We've had countless Grand Cherokees of every chassis design they ever made, ZJ, WJ, WK, on up. Never could get those things stuck, they'd walk right up our unplowed driveway or my neighbors even steeper driveway (I use his shop drive to get my WJ out)
The Grand Cherokee SRT is 475 hp and it's very difficult to spin the tires in 4H Auto. You really need to launch it in the rain to get any noticeable wheel spin.

The SRT drive modes change the torque split: Auto 40-60, Sport 35-65, Track 30-70, Tow 50-50, Snow 50-50.

If it only directs power to the front when the rear slips, it does it so fast that you can't tell the difference.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Interesting reading people fishtailing and spinning in the JT, my previous truck was a Tundra it had horrible traction in the wet and snow compared to the JT, the JT feels really well planted to me, my driveway at my camp I had to always put my Tundra in 4wd to leave even when dry, the JT goes right up without spinning a tire. Compared to the many other pickups I have had the JT has much more grip on the rear wheels.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting reading people fishtailing and spinning in the JT, my previous truck was a Tundra it had horrible traction in the wet and snow compared to the JT, the JT feels really well planted to me, my driveway at my camp I had to always put my Tundra in 4wd to leave even when dry, the JT goes right up without spinning a tire. Compared to the many other pickups I have had the JT has much more grip on the rear wheels.
Mine is comparable to other trucks I've had. Put them on wet grass and they'd spin trying to go up a mild incline. The JT will do as bad with the H/T tires. The A/T tires do grip better.

One also has to consider the LSD option - if you have that you are more likely to fishtail. I have a study in my shop that proves that.

Freakency

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021
On my side, I’m living in Quebec with alot of snowbin winter. I replaced a true fighter as a Jeep Wrangler 2008 to a Gladiator 2021 having in mind to tow a camper trailer with it. I choose all the tow options available (max tow) and as I ordered before the canadian options available wa available with the american options from jeep usa, I found the awd option and took it right away :

on my Wrangler I was always on a 2wd setup unless I got some ice or snow but my wife keep getting it on the 4HI and it’s pretty hard on the axel as we can get some asphalt between snow and ice. When I saw the option it was a no-brainer for me.

for the moment, I try to keep it on the 2Wd but at least when my wife put it on 4WD as usual like the older one she put it in 4WD instead.... so I’m noe a happy man!

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
In slippery surface operation, it's the right foot that determines your driving experience. I went up the road a piece to where there was deep snow and found two 4X4's stuck. I pulled both out without even getting into FWD. Silly kids.....

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
In slippery surface operation, it's the right foot that determines your driving experience. I went up the road a piece to where there was deep snow and found two 4X4's stuck. I pulled both out without even getting into FWD. Silly kids.....
Maybe they didn't know how to use 4x4, but instead tried shifting into 4wd once they were stuck.

Sponsored

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Being the former owner of a quadratrac Commander that ate up 3 front drive shafts over ten years, part-time 4wd was actually a selling point for me! 😄 AWD just seems weird on a jeep, and chews up parts (including front tires). My 2 cents.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
It is not available with manual transmission.
That's what dissuaded me. When I heard the selec-trac was being offered, at first I had the OP's same quandary. I've been in conditions in the mountains encountering icy, snowy patches on mostly dry pavement where I imagine it shines. When I realized it's not offered with the MT, that solved that. Also, I've grown pretty fond of my gator color.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Being the former owner of a quadratrac Commander that ate up 3 front drive shafts over ten years, part-time 4wd was actually a selling point for me! 😄 AWD just seems weird on a jeep, and chews up parts (including front tires). My 2 cents.
You seem to have been the only one who had that issue. It wasn't the drive system that messed with the tires.
We've had Jeeps with that option for years - tires last, never any drivetrain issues ever in any of them. Sure-footed in any weather or conditions.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I bought a 2020 Sport S in June. I have noticed it is not hard to fishtail the Gladiator in any slick conditions, even in the rain. I have a 2019 Wrangler JLU and I have tried to fishtail it in 2wd and have been unsuccessful. I know the difference between the 2 vehicles is the weight over the rear wheels and the extended wheel base in the Gladiator.

Used Gladiator and Wrangler prices in my area are crazy right now. I can trade in my 2020 for a 2021 with the exact same options and the addition of the Aux Switch Bay for about $1,000 out of pocket. (I put down $1,000 on my 2020 in June.)

Is it worth doing just to have better traction in the rain and light snow when you can't drop into 4H?
This is also a good question for people looking to buy a 2021; Is spending an extra $700 to get Selec-Trac worth it?
You factoring in paying taxes on two new car purchases? I would think that your 2020 would need to appreciate in value by $2,000-8,000 (depending on your local sales tax) in order for you to only be out $1,000. I live in an unincorporated county, and sales tax is around 3%, but within city limits it is 8%. Let's say your tax rate is 5%, and the JT costs $50,000; that's $2,500 in taxes on each new car purchase (for a total of $5,000 in taxes). If you are only out $1,000 then your 2020 appreciated in value by $4,000? Am I missing something here?
Sponsored