Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I agree, if you can do it for $1k, it's well worth it. I had Selec-Trac in my JLU, and it is seamless. I've heard others question the durability of the Selec-Trac system, but it's standard on the 392, so I feel like it must be stout.
Sponsored

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
If I was only losing $1000 but gaining Selec-Trac and a 2021 model year I would do it.
But I have Gator, So hell no.
Dang, reading through this thread I was thinking man I could definitely do this too. But I too have Gator, and sarge just doesn't cut it for me.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I agree, if you can do it for $1k, it's well worth it. I had Selec-Trac in my JLU, and it is seamless. I've heard others question the durability of the Selec-Trac system, but it's standard on the 392, so I feel like it must be stout.
The Selec-Trac in the Wrangler and Gladiator uses the MP3022 transfer case. I think there's some concern about it being clutch based instead of differential based. However, the MP3023 in the 5.7L Grand Cherokee and MP3010 in the 6.4 and 6.2L Grand Cherokee are also clutch based and I haven't heard of any issues. I've got 30k miles on my GC SRT and have launched it many times.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm

Also, the clutch in the MP3022, at least in the Wrangler and Gladiator application, is supposed to be interlocking in 4-Hi and 4-Lo part time and not just held with clutch pressure.

A computer controlled center clutch should have definite traction advantages on the road over a center open differential. The rear diff LSD also has a computer controlled clutch in the Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
This is a Rubicon JT/JL Rock-Trac Full Time transfer case, probably very similar to the Selec-Trac.

Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? thumbnail_20201210_114104

In order to do a swap for a full time transfer case, an active wire harness that plugs into the transfer case full time shift motor would be needed.

Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? thumbnail_20201210_114304

This is a part time Rock-Trac, notice the absents of the full time shift motor.

Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? 68240441AC-2-SID

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
This is a Rubicon JT/JL Rock-Trac Full Time transfer case, probably very similar to the Selec-Trac.

thumbnail_20201210_114104.jpg

In order to do a swap for a full time transfer case, an active wire harness that plugs into the transfer case full time shift motor would be needed.

thumbnail_20201210_114304.jpg

This is a part time Rock-Trac, notice the absents of the full time shift motor.

68240441AC-2-SID.jpg
If you look at the exploded diagrams of the Command Trac vs Rock Trac vs Selec Trac vs Rock Trac Full Time, it almost looks like they're all the same transfer case in 4 different combinations. Rock Trac adds 4:1 gearing in the front half, Selec Trac adds the clutch in the back half. The mating between the front and back half of the casings looks the same.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/v-2...d-power-transfer-unit--case-and-related-parts

It's possible FCA has re-purposed all these existing terms to describe different variants of the same Magna transfer case. Granted, this is just how it looks in the parts catalog diagrams.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
If you look at the exploded diagrams of the Command Trac vs Rock Trac vs Selec Trac vs Rock Trac Full Time, it almost looks like they're all the same transfer case in 4 different combinations. Rock Trac adds 4:1 gearing in the front half, Selec Trac adds the clutch in the back half. The mating between the front and back half of the casings looks the same.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/v-2...d-power-transfer-unit--case-and-related-parts

It's possible FCA has re-purposed all these existing terms to describe different variants of the same Magna transfer case. Granted, this is just how it looks in the parts catalog diagrams.
Yeah. There’s no great wizardry going on here. When I found out that the full-time unit was an active clutch rather than a diff, as in the old NVG242, I became less interested. Still curious if the necessary info to engage the clutch could be had on a vehicle that didn’t come that way.

Last edited:

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Why would I need that when all I need to do is move a lever or two to access 4H and be done with it? Seems like one more thing to wear out/break at the worst time. I would rather have the ability to use positrack diffs fr and rr.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Why would I need that when all I need to do is move a lever or two to access 4H and be done with it? Seems like one more thing to wear out/break at the worst time. I would rather have the ability to use positrack diffs fr and rr.
It is a good feature to have if you live in colder climates. Lots of black ice after snow events, thaw freeze cycle. Roads will we dry, but many areas will have black ice that you cannot see and don't have time to shift to 4wd.
Just a nice feature to have. Not really needed, but you don't need it until you do. Use it all the time in my F150

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Isn't 4HI also limited to around 50mph?
This can run highway speeds and kick in on an overpass where there's a bit of ice without slowing down to shift to 4HI and then back out to get back to speed.

I think it's worth it here in the midwest. Kind of a "safety" feature in my view.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I kinda wish at times this had been available on my 2020, but going through my 2nd winter now, I’m used to using the part time 4x4. Still holding out hope that a torsen lsd shows up one day that I can just put in the back.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
The Rock-Trac Full Time transfer case, when in 4WD Auto mode, the front axle disconnect (FAD) stays engaged, assume the Selec-Trac does the same, so there is zero effort to shift back and forth from 4WD Auto and 4WD Full time. When shifting from 2WD to 4WD with a standard JT/JL transfer case there is some resistance (some have more, others have less) because the front drive shaft is not turning because FAD is disconnected and everything needs to get to spinning at the same rate before the 4WD shift is complete.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
I don’t consider the Selec-Trac as full time 4WD, but rather 4WD “on demand”. It is in 2WD while transfer case is in 4WD Auto, but front is activated in milliseconds when computers say it is needed. It is seamless.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Losing only $1k? I'd probably do it. However, I would be well behind what is owed on my JT. I'm nearly 34k miles into it, didn't get great financing because of being newly out of school and had limited time to negotiate a price, and this is my first Jeep so there is a lot of sentimental value.

I had to use 4WD on a paved road for the first time this weekend: snow had thawed/frozen on a windy mountain narrow road and going uphill with a turn necessitated 4WD, otherwise there was some tire slipping.

Mud terrain tires are not good for ice/snow/rain driving. It's just their design. I fishtailed a lot early on, adding 250-350lbs in the bed with sandbags helped alot.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? 001

I wish Jeep JT and Wranglers transfer case operated like the older manual shift Land Rovers transfer cases operated. The center differential and hi/low gear range were mutually exclusive.

Available options:
hi range, open or locked center diff
low range, open or locked center diff
center diff open, high or low range
center diff locked, high or low range

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why would I need that when all I need to do is move a lever or two to access 4H and be done with it?
You can't use 4H on dry pavement unless you have a selec-trac type of transfer case.
Sponsored