Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

Deleted member 30519

I have the command trac transfer case on my 6speed and I still don't know how to use it compared to my 18JL or other pick ups I had over the years. We only had one snow storm so far and I could only get the shifter to lock into one position even though it says 2H, 4H, N, 4L. It reads 4wd on the dash when engaged and that's it. I can't get the shifter to lock in anything else.
Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If I may play pocket psychologist for a moment...the fact that you are looking at something new probably already means you're going to pull the trigger. You are just looking for a valid reason to do it and want some confirmation. Personally Selec-trac isn't a deal maker for me. I just drove to work this morning on icy roads on MTs and had no problem sliding or my ass end coming around in 2H or 4H. Take those garbage HTs off for sure and get some ATs.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Why would I need that when all I need to do is move a lever or two to access 4H and be done with it? Seems like one more thing to wear out/break at the worst time. I would rather have the ability to use positrack diffs fr and rr.
The selectrac in auto mode is using a clutch that can slip while you are turning (essentially AWD). In 4 hi, it is locked up and cant slip... 4hi is not good on pavement where selectrac is fine.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have the command trac transfer case on my 6speed and I still don't know how to use it compared to my 18JL or other pick ups I had over the years. We only had one snow storm so far and I could only get the shifter to lock into one position even though it says 2H, 4H, N, 4L. It reads 4wd on the dash when engaged and that's it. I can't get the shifter to lock in anything else.
Dealer?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Does your transfer case have this shifter?

Z1myMz6.jpg

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/newbie-question-4wd-auto-part-time.24254/page-2

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Deleted member 30519

Okay. I just looked at my window sticker. Says Command–Trac® Part–Time 4WD System

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I had an XJ with Full Time 4WD. I used it once in a great while when the pavement was in a wet-dry-snow-wet-dry situation. Otherwise, all it did was use more gas unnecessarily. Sounds like the JT Select-Trac doesn't engage unless it's necessary. That's nice, but I still don't see the need for it.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I had an XJ with Full Time 4WD. I used it once in a great while when the pavement was in a wet-dry-snow-wet-dry situation. Otherwise, all it did was use more gas unnecessarily. Sounds like the JT Select-Trac doesn't engage unless it's necessary. That's nice, but I still don't see the need for it.
Just adds to another part of the equation that can break down when you most depend on it. Give me the piece of mind with analog/manual controls any day.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for adding that before I did. Part #2 of my $.02 is it reliable Jeep has been slipping full-time systems in "Jeeps" line up for over 50 years. Back in XJ years the main T-case (s) was 231 (part-time)or 242 (full-time) I don't remember many of the 242 failing. But it was mainly in more "upscale models"
I started to install the 242 in my MJ before I moved, unluckily during my move the T-case disappeared and my 231 spare too.

IMG_20210126_160708~2.jpg

IMG_20210126_160616~2.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know why it was sliding out. I was just surprised at how easily it slid out compared to my Wrangler JLU. Tires are the 18" Bridgestone HTs
I had my JT fishtail more than once with the stock Overland H/T tires. They are horrible on black ice, snow pack, etc.
The other transfer case is "sort of" full-time 4 wheel drive - what is really does is lock the FAD and when it detects loss of traction, it engages the clutches in the transfer case. So technically, it's not really in 4wd. It's more like my Silverado - automatic 4wheel drive.
That's my take on it, anyway. My understanding is that it's not true full-time like other vehicles I've had.
I really wish I had that transfer case. I really wish there was a full-time option in mine, but it's a lot better with these tires than it was.

I found the Falken A/T tires to help a lot, plus if you have limited slip differential they are more likely to fishtail with less than great tires.
I drove through deeps snow and snow packed roads and icy roads this AM to get to the dentist 30 minutes away - it took me 45 minutes to get there with unplowed and partially plowed roads, but with the A/T tires it was rock-solid, stable. I was fine with it.

I hadn't plowed my drive, and the road up there - single quick pass of a plow, then the road down the steep hill to the highway wasn't plowed at all. I did fine.

Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? 20210126_095131
Jeep Gladiator Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021? 20210126_095123

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Selec-Trac in the Wrangler and Gladiator uses the MP3022 transfer case. I think there's some concern about it being clutch based instead of differential based. However, the MP3023 in the 5.7L Grand Cherokee and MP3010 in the 6.4 and 6.2L Grand Cherokee are also clutch based and I haven't heard of any issues. I've got 30k miles on my GC SRT and have launched it many times.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm

Also, the clutch in the MP3022, at least in the Wrangler and Gladiator application, is supposed to be interlocking in 4-Hi and 4-Lo part time and not just held with clutch pressure.

A computer controlled center clutch should have definite traction advantages on the road over a center open differential. The rear diff LSD also has a computer controlled clutch in the Grand Cherokee.
I wonder - is that similar to what Chevy put in Silverado years ago - 4wd "auto" mode - it sensed slippage and engaged based on that. I left it in auto all the time and that truck was almost unstoppable.
We've had countless Grand Cherokees of every chassis design they ever made, ZJ, WJ, WK, on up. Never could get those things stuck, they'd walk right up our unplowed driveway or my neighbors even steeper driveway (I use his shop drive to get my WJ out)
Sponsored