First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I currently have a Tuff Stuff Alpha rtt with annex. Im trying to cram 2 adults and 3 kids in. The RTT can hold me, wife and two little kids max, it isnt super fun as the youngest does interpretive dance in her sleep. We have the annex but i am not in love with it as a solution.
Is there some other option I havent considered? Like awning rooms etc? I know Iron Man 4x4 has awnings with rooms and all that but is it any easier than the tuff stuff setup? it has a zipped on floor which makes it nice vs critters.
Sponsored

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
The IronMan awnings/rooms only seem to be three sided. Roam makes rooms for their awnings but similar problem... four sides and a floor but not totally sealed at the top so issues with bugs.

I have the annex for my Roam Vagabond and it does seal completely and has a floor .. but I get your reluctance to use it for a sleeping option.. I've got an upcoming event and not entirely sure the dog will be happy sleeping in it but there is no way I'm hauling 85lbs up into the RTT itself !!

With five of you, I'm thinking overlanding trailer with a second RTT or just getting big regular tent !

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The annex provides plenty of extra room but it's just extra hassle. Plus then you need cots etc which just takes up more space.
If it helps my retriever loved the annex and just wanted in it the whole time. :)

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Try a nice ground tent with multiple rooms. No weight up high, no one falling off the ladder, lots of room, can stand up, and likely a lot less expensive.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Try a nice ground tent with multiple rooms. No weight up high, no one falling off the ladder, lots of room, can stand up, and likely a lot less expensive.
fair point. I mean i already have the rtt and annex i just was curious if there was a better way to get it done, especially cheaper lol

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
@Berserker556 I agree with @aqcjeepGlad, there really is not much out there that is designed for that many people in/on a single vehicle unless you went to one of the integrated canopy/campers (and maybe not even then). Most of those awning/room setups leave a lot to be desired for effectively keeping weather and bugs out...at least well enough that I would be willing to set up a cot and sleep in there (much less some little kids).

My kids are grown and gone now, but I have a nice REI 6-man, two room tent that we used when the kids were with us and it is a much better option.

BTW...Go Kentucky! I was born and raised in Morehead...lol

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
@Berserker556 I agree with @aqcjeepGlad, there really is not much out there that is designed for that many people in/on a single vehicle unless you went to one of the integrated canopy/campers (and maybe not even then). Most of those awning/room setups leave a lot to be desired for effectively keeping weather and bugs out...at least well enough that I would be willing to set up a cot and sleep in there (much less some little kids).

My kids are grown and gone now, but I have a nice REI 6-man, two room tent that we used when the kids were with us and it is a much better option.

BTW...Go Kentucky! I was born and raised in Morehead...lol
I am right by morehead :D

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I am right by morehead :D
I’ll show my age here but I lived there when Phil Sims played for MSU. My uncle was the team trainer and my dad was the team doctor. So I would hang out in the locker room with them before he was an NFL superstar…lol
Sponsored