Is there an argument for a naked bed?

satfico

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
You said to YOU, the bed is just a tool. However, not every pickup truck is "work" truck, a simple non-emotional tool (like a hammer) that spends its life hauling lumber and gravel every day, and has no value outside its standard utility.

Unless you think that people should only use their vehicles in ways of which YOU approve? Apparently, this is the case, since you go on to say that anyone who doesn't use a JT in YOUR way should buy something else.
agree. I will never use mine for work. My job doesn't involve a truck bed.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Haha you sound so angry.

I'm just looking for examples of how people use a painted truck bed.

My side of the argument is that I wouldn't slide a plastic cooler across the hood of my truck. So it doesn't seem practical to me to have my bed painted the same way my hood was painted.

That's all. I approve of however you use your painted truck bed. Just tell me how exactly you do.
Yeah, I'm not angry at all. Multi-tasking and probably not being very mindful of how "tone" gets lost in text.

Anyways, I don't disagree that a painted bed is pretty fragile, as I intend to at least install a bed mat, even though it would be extremely rare that I carry anything more "sharp" than luggage or light camping gear. I always thought manufacturer's did a "painted" bed was because that is the cheapest way for them to do it, not because they thought it was best.

I think the only disagreement we had was the impression I got from your post that if your bed isn't all scratched up, then you aren't "using" your truck like you "should", and should've bought a JL. Just seemed a little presumptuous for anyone to assume that they should dictate what vehicle others should buy, based on their own standards of usage or "need". Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, or perhaps I read more into it than you intended... that darn "text not tone" thing again.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I’m not 100% sure but I believe my mid 2000 Tacoma had a composite bed and it was black textured like a lineX. If so, Toyota sees it the same way. Not sure what the Tacoma bed is made of these days.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
i dont use it for work and it was getting scratched to hell just with stuff like coolers and baseball gear within 2 weeks of having it. The Rhino liner has been fantastic.

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Yeah, I'm not angry at all. Multi-tasking and probably not being very mindful of how "tone" gets lost in text.

Anyways, I don't disagree that a painted bed is pretty fragile, as I intend to at least install a bed mat, even though it would be extremely rare that I carry anything more "sharp" than luggage or light camping gear. I always thought manufacturer's did a "painted" bed was because that is the cheapest way for them to do it, not because they thought it was best.

I think the only disagreement we had was the impression I got from your post that if your bed isn't all scratched up, then you aren't "using" your truck like you "should", and should've bought a JL. Just seemed a little presumptuous for anyone to assume that they should dictate what vehicle others should buy, based on their own standards of usage or "need". Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, or perhaps I read more into it than you intended... that darn "text not tone" thing again.
That's fair. I take back saying if it's not getting scratched then you are not using it.

I'll elaborate:
#1 I don't know how it's possible to use a standard painted bed without scratching it to hell

#2 If I had one, I would be too afraid to use it. Like I said before, I wouldn't slide a plastic cooler across the hood of my truck. So how can I look at all that beautiful paint in the bed and slide stuff in there? Let alone something more damaging like firewood or pavers.

So I posted this to understand how exactly people use them. Maybe I'm wrong can enjoy a nice body color bed.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I wonder how much getting the bed painted for initial corrosion protection while the rest of it is being painted plays into why it gets painted. Also the evolution of trucks- back in the day there were no bed liners I don’t believe. Maybe a sheet of plywood cut to fit for some protection but trucks were trucks and beds got scratched and that’s how it was. Enter the Bedliner 25 years ago?? and now it is basically its own industry and an industry that until recently was almost entirely aftermarket I think? And there are different applications of bed liners for different customers so the default is paint it and let the customer decide what they want. Paint gives initial protection and helps with the shiny new look that helps sell the truck to non construction buyers. I guess my two cents are above for a topic I have never contemplated until now.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m not 100% sure but I believe my mid 2000 Tacoma had a composite bed and it was black textured like a lineX. If so, Toyota sees it the same way. Not sure what the Tacoma bed is made of these days.
Toyota still uses composite bed in Tacoma. Smarter, but still not quite as durable. Needless to say, they still have their followers. Still pretty tough.

As for the argument, I semi agree with OP. Especially since these days pickem ups are more so bought as status symbols. Real life example: i was at a gmc dealer looking at a canyon when out rolled a new sierra at4. All black, some chrome trim, beautiful truck meant for 4x4 action. Buyer then said, "it will never see dirt"... smh

I agree the bedliner should be standard, looks more finished, but it does come down to cost and ease of manufacture. I worked for line-x, and between 2 guys working, we only did 2 trucks a day. Easily about 2 hrs of prep, 20-30 min to spray, and 30-45 min trim and cleanup.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I did get the bedliner - but mostly to help keep stuff from sliding around so much.
My first two trucks, one I bought when I was 16, had wood floors in the bed. The first was pretty abused when I got it, the second was mint - not a mark on it. Why? The guy had carpet he slid in when doing messy stuff, and otherwise he used it for a camper which didn't mess up the bed floor at all. The bed floor wood was pristine when I bought the truck at 24,000 miles when I was 19.
It stayed pretty nice for several years - I used it to haul my antique engines around. It did get scratched up from the steel wheels rolling in and out, but was still decent when I traded it for my Comanche in 87 at 100,000 miles.
I hauled a lot of things in bags in the comanche - it was my farm truck for a year or so. The bed didn't get scratched that much - but I still got a rubber mat that was fitted for that truck - to keep things from sliding around and helped protect it a bit.
My Ford truck got used fairly hard but the bed still wasn't too badly beat on - and had a lot of paint still in it when I traded it. Use doesn't mean it will be scraped bare of paint!
My Chevy had a bed liner - nice enough but SLICK, stuff slid around.
The bed liner in my JT looks like heck - spills stain it, dirt is hard to wash out.
A truck can be used like a truck and still not destroy the paint or finish in the back. Hauling 5 bags of concrete wouldn't have done much to paint. Hauling lumber won't damage it much.

I guess I don't see the issue - a truck can haul thousands of different things - it's not always rocks, scrap iron, gravel, sand or bricks.
I was sort of torn on the bed liner - but then thought, ok, it would help keep thin

Frankly, this load wouldn't have done much damage to paint - not in the long run. I could have also slipped bits of cardboard or carpet scraps under the wheels like I did with my second pickup with the perfect wood floor back in the 70s.
I think a painted box also looks cool. Wish I could paint the bedliner truck color.
And the tires I hauled from Omaha - wouldn't have damaged any finish.

Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? 20200211_163116

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
why is this even a question...what truck comes standard with a bed liner or spray?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
why is this even a question...what truck comes standard with a bed liner or spray?
Because someone decided all trucks should come a certain way - period. Sort of like the key fob I suppose?
A vehicle is a personal thing - it should be up to the BUYER/owner. I wanted body color fenders and roof - it's my truck, no one else has to look at it.
Sponsored