Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? 1599490690965

Technology has certainly changed in the last 50 years. The internal combustion engine would have succumbed to environmental regulations long ago if not for the microchip and processors.

The contraption above is an example of an advanced analog invention from the early 60s. It’s a rally “computer” driven off of a speedo cable. Through an infinitely variable “gearbox” (no gears, ball and disc) it rotates a stopwatch counterclockwise. The net effect is that when the programmed speed is maintained, the second hand of the stopwatch stays stationary.

Nothing to with a naked bed though.....
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Love that meter on the left, too! Temperature? Those are cool.

Speaking of technology, engineering, regulations...........

2 HP Chapman (Canadian engine, RARE!!) clever fuel system using engine vacuum to pull fuel from tank into a chamber to keep fuel level constant.
Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? engines-garage-2

I've since sold several of these, gave one to a friend........ so it's a bit less crowded in there now. I have two belt-drive power hacksaws in the mix.
These aren't exactly emissions friendly. They are lubricated using grease cups on the crankshaft mains and rod journal, and the piston and rings are lubricated by a drip oiler that drops a single drop of oil down a pipe onto the piston skirt every few seconds. The excess oil ran down and out a drain at the back of the engine.

Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? DCP_2841

7 HP Chapman. Weighs 2,000 pounds. Each flywheel is about 300 pounds. I had to use my engine hoist to remove them. Muffler is cast iron. I paid 3500 for it in about 1998, picked it up from an old fellow in Kansas. With this and the horse-drawn engine cart in the back of the pickup, my F250 rode like a Lincoln on the way back home.

Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? chap7_1

The battery/coil box is an original I got from an older fellow in Canada. He loaned me fuel system parts so I could get the plumbing duplicated. I sent his parts back and he asked if I had ever seen a Chapman battery box. Nope. He asked for my address and mailed this one to me....... free.
Absolutely amazing work of engineering and technology for 1914 when it was made. The fuel system is ingenious. It has a timing lever to change ignition timing on the fly.
Jeep Gladiator Is there an argument for a naked bed? chpmn98 (1)

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

2 HP Chapman (Canadian engine, RARE!!) clever fuel system using engine vacuum to pull fuel from tank into a chamber to keep fuel level constant.
engines-garage-2.jpg

I've since sold several of these, gave one to a friend........ so it's a bit less crowded in there now. I have two belt-drive power hacksaws in the mix.
These aren't exactly emissions friendly. They are lubricated using grease cups on the crankshaft mains and rod journal, and the piston and rings are lubricated by a drip oiler that drops a single drop of oil down a pipe onto the piston skirt every few seconds. The excess oil ran down and out a drain at the back of the engine.

DCP_2841.jpg

7 HP Chapman. Weighs 2,000 pounds. Each flywheel is about 300 pounds. I had to use my engine hoist to remove them. Muffler is cast iron. I paid 3500 for it in about 1998, picked it up from an old fellow in Kansas. With this and the horse-drawn engine cart in the back of the pickup, my F250 rode like a Lincoln on the way back home.

chap7_1.jpg

The battery/coil box is an original I got from an older fellow in Canada. He loaned me fuel system parts so I could get the plumbing duplicated. I sent his parts back and he asked if I had ever seen a Chapman battery box. Nope. He asked for my address and mailed this one to me....... free.
Absolutely amazing work of engineering and technology for 1914 when it was made. The fuel system is ingenious. It has a timing lever to change ignition timing on the fly.
chpmn98 (1).jpg

You know, I don't recall ever seeing a U-haul trailer towed behind a hearse.

Just sayin' ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You know, I don't recall ever seeing a U-haul trailer towed behind a hearse.

Just sayin' ;)
Now that would be a hearse of a different color............
Do hearses even have hitches?
Guess you can't get a hitch in your getalong if not.

Patent Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Not so sure I agree with the whole “bed scratches” theory you got going there. A bed is a place to haul shit. What kind of shit? That varies person to person. I have a beat up ass 2500 long bed Chevrolet to haul tons of gravel, firewood, and shit like that in. I’m not interested in f***ing up the bed of my JT if I can help it. I had my bed sprayed with LineX being there is a chance I’ll haul loads of rock, tools, lumber, etc in my JT.

As far as buying a JLU, having a bed is so much easier for accessing whatever shit you’re hauling. Plus, I can add a bed cover and your shit is safe from the elements just like in a JLU.

JT>JLU all day errday.
Maybe I may sound stupid, but what is JLU?

Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Yes.

Many years ago my uncle flew in to town for a visit. He had many light planes over the years; this time I think it was Piper Tri-pacer. He was meticulous about his pre-flight check.

These Lycoming engines had completely redundant ignition systems. Two magnetios, two spark plugs in each cylinder. There was switch on the dash for either system or both. As he was preparing to return home, in the pre-flight check RPMs would drop slightly on one ignition system. So he removed spark plugs, took them to a garage and had them sand-blasted, replaced them, and everything was fine thereafter.

He flew a lot. Ironically, died in a car crash which was his fault.
I learned to fly in a Tri-Pacer, nice old aircraft, you serviced the plugs every 100 hours sand blasted and checked the gap and reinstall. Those old Lycomings were like VW engines they all used oil and fowled the plugs.

Firemedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter paramedic
I can't wrap my head around why a pick up truck's bed would ever be painted, and the fact that a protective "spray in bedliner" is an additional option. Those tough bedliners that can take a beating should be the standard, and then getting a body color bed is the upgrade, much like it is for the hardtop.

To me, the bed is a tool. I wouldn't put a fancy paint job on the head of my hammer. You swing at one nail, and there goes your paint job on the hammer.

So I don't get it. Is there an argument the other way? Why would you WANT a body color bed?
I agree completely I don’t use mine as a work truck by any means however even a baby stroller has scratched my paint to h$*%.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone bases what others SHOULD want based on their own wants or preferences.
World doesn't work that way and obviously there are thousands who want options.
It's like "what size tires should I get" - the answer will obviously be whatever the person who answers is running.
The truck bed needs to be painted first, as explained earlier.
What is put in it after is up to the buyer, not those arguing that no one should have a painted truck bed.
Frankly, if I had it to do over again, I would not get the sandpaper that's in mine. It stains badly, it rips anything you try to slide on it and ain't fun to kneel on in short pants when scrounging in the back of the truck.
Why does everyone try to tell others their preferences are wrong or theirs is the only way a truck should be made?

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Everyone bases what others SHOULD want based on their own wants or preferences.
World doesn't work that way and obviously there are thousands who want options.
It's like "what size tires should I get" - the answer will obviously be whatever the person who answers is running.
<snip>
Why does everyone try to tell others their preferences are wrong or theirs is the only way a truck should be made?
Good points and good question.

The Jeep Gladiator is intended to be a multi-use vehicle, designed to appeal to a wide spectrum of end users. That should be obvious. As such, it has many ways it can be optioned. No one way is right or wrong. But you would not know that from some of the threads on this forum.

Awhitebuff

First Name
Buff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
My bed is just the paint still. Really don't plan on using it for more than carrying supplies or groceries. Maybe occasional lumber for a project. I took my Tacoma rubber mat and cut it to fit. I have a Tonneau cover so nobody sees it anyway. My feeling is if it ever does get scratched up I can always get it spray lined down the road.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
because manufacturing efficiencies
This.

A painted bed will meet everyone's base expectations.

1. Enthusiasts who take care of their vehicles over all things
2. Normal folk who need basic transportation
3. People who will use the "truck" part of the truck occasionally
4. People who will use the "truck" part of the truck regularly and want added protection can add it without issue.
5. People who don't like bedliners or the feel of spray-in liners

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I actually found more utility in having a plastic drop in liner in my old truck. The grit in the spray in is nice to keep the load from shifting, but sliding things in and out like a 150lb fish house sled is much easier with the drop in. I wouldn’t want to pay the extra money for lineX because I don’t want the grit tearing my canvass apart.

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
This is an interesting thread.
I've been plagued by the difficulty in choosing something to protect the shiny new bed over the years. Tried everything, spray in, liners, bedmats, etc.

Ultimately, I always end up going back to using a good old bedmat.
I like the look of the painted bed, but being realistic about hauling, I discovered the rubber bedmat provided me the best combination of non-slip, and bed floor protection while still maintaining a bare bed look as much as possible.

I do get some minimal scratches around the edges, but for the most part, it does a decent job of protection, and a superior non-slip surface to keep cargo from flying around.

I added a bedrug tailgate protector to make it easy to slide stuff across the tailgate.
It does a nice job of protecting the gate without having to drill any holes for a mat type cover.
I too added a horse stall rubber mat to my painted bed. I intend to use the bed and mats save dings and was $49 not $500. I put a rubber mat screwed onto the tailgate too because why not? If I ever sell the truck is the next buyer going to say "We would have had a deal but a screwed in tailgate mat is a deal breaker"? I certainly got over drilling it so will the next owner.

I've owned trucks with LineX. Good stuff just didn't feel I needed it.
Sponsored