Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Hello Fellow Gladiators!

I've had my '21 Hydro Blue Gladiator now for a couple months and put around 3k on the clock. I've really enjoyed the truck and it always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I wanted to discuss a quirk that I've had with my rig, and see if the rest of the community could confirm or refute this being how your Jeep drives.

I have a pretty steep driveway down from where I live. When I drive down the road in the morning, I find that the truck automatically downshifts the 8-speed transmission to help with engine breaking. This isn't a huge deal, although it can sometimes be more aggressive then I'd like. I could always override this with the manual function, but I'd rather it just allow for more coasting, even when the break is slightly applied.

What can definitely be irritating is when it shifts from 3rd down to 2nd at the very end of the steep driveway; this is when I have to come to a complete stop before proceeding. The truck tends to have a very ungraceful lunge feeling as it shifts from 3rd into 2nd. If I break more aggressively (not preferred) for longer down the hill, it tends to stay in 2nd and doesn't have the lunging effect.

This kind of shifting behavior is noticeable during deceleration on really any slight decline driving down the road when coming to a stop. I really don't feel anything strange when climbing hills or coming to a stop on level ground. I love the ZF-8 auto in this truck for its smoothness and responsiveness otherwise.

Does your Gladiator do this? Do you feel this type of aggressive engine breaking effect/surge when going down any slight grade while breaking?

I'd love to hear what the community has to say on before taking it to my dealer, or asking to drive another model to see if it's within normal spec and can be replicated.

Cheers!

Jeep Gladiator Jerky Downshift to 2nd Gear Going Downhill Big_Blue
Sponsored

centra28

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Hydro Blue Pearl Coat
Mine also has this aggressive downshift in low gears. At first it was a little off putting, but after thinking about it more it would be very handy in off road situations controlling hill descent. Anyways, I think there are threads on the auto transmission behavior.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Mine does it too. IMOP it’s the 4:10 gears and the 8 speed auto. I have the Max Tow with Rubicon take off rims and tires.
Sponsored