Sponsored

Joined the 3.6 cylinder misfire club............

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
My JT has done this a handful of time so far...I cant catch the code and im all of 500 miles from the warranty expiring. So I doubt it will be a covered problem with a TSB anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Almost have to keep the software running on the phone or tablet while running it to catch it. Luckily, this one did it enough in the driveway AlfaOBD captured several frames. The guys at the dealership asked "what the heck did you use to capture those frames? Those reports you left us have things that normally only FCA tools can capture"
They were impressed with the multiple frame snapshots, each showing a misfire incident and what was going on with the engine at that time.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Almost have to keep the software running on the phone or tablet while running it to catch it. Luckily, this one did it enough in the driveway AlfaOBD captured several frames. The guys at the dealership asked "what the heck did you use to capture those frames? Those reports you left us have things that normally only FCA tools can capture"
They were impressed with the multiple frame snapshots, each showing a misfire incident and what was going on with the engine at that time.
Which obd device are you using? I tried look it up from your first post and couldn’t find one.

Id love to be able to just let it run and catch it since its so intermittent

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is the hardware:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the software:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S715LCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used software called "Torque" - it gave me this shorter report -

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: 1C4RJFBG...................
Vehicle Manufacturer: Chrysler
Vehicle Calibration ID: 68504960AD
D

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------

End of report.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
This is the hardware:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the software:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S715LCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used software called "Torque" - it gave me this shorter report -

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: 1C4RJFBG...................
Vehicle Manufacturer: Chrysler
Vehicle Calibration ID: 68504960AD
D

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------

End of report.
I ended up getting a different obd2 reader. And downloaded (and paid for) the jscan app before seeing this.

so far i can see misfires, but nothing like a report you have here. Are you familiar with jscan app at all? Id love to have more than just these screen shots to take to my dealer.

F0DA6A25-8619-4A38-ABBA-6E2983230DF1.png

E992B7B3-1F96-4E0A-865B-4C1FFAFB2FF5.png

EE5B61A8-2C67-4C56-B3C4-EA3CA7A89F1A.png

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have jscan on my phone. I used it to set up the passive entry on my JT and found the errors in the ABS that the brake controller triggered. I don't see any saved log in it, just the history of the passive entry changes I made as it allows you to reverse changes it made.
I'll have to look to see if I made any printout of any logs it it's been a while since I used it to check for the errors the controller caused.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Depending on the time frame that is not an alarming number of misfires. I have had my jeep on the dyno to adjust the timing map. Not sure if the timing maps are all the same or close, but there where some very ruff spots, in the lean cruise, light load areas. If you drive lightly the throttle will adapt to a light agression factor and the acceleration enrichment is not enough in cold weather to account for tip in. If you do an adaptive learn reset on the engine and transmission. It will go away for a while. If you do the reset and drive like a teenager it will go away for a long while. My guess is you where judicious with the throttle taking it to the dealer so it clipped up the agression factor and you had the needed fuel on tip in. I am not sure how FCA did the mapping on this latest go of the 3.6, but all the info I have seen so far would indicate they messsd up a bit

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on the time frame that is not an alarming number of misfires. I have had my jeep on the dyno to adjust the timing map. Not sure if the timing maps are all the same or close, but there where some very ruff spots, in the lean cruise, light load areas. If you drive lightly the throttle will adapt to a light agression factor and the acceleration enrichment is not enough in cold weather to account for tip in. If you do an adaptive learn reset on the engine and transmission. It will go away for a while. If you do the reset and drive like a teenager it will go away for a long while. My guess is you where judicious with the throttle taking it to the dealer so it clipped up the agression factor and you had the needed fuel on tip in. I am not sure how FCA did the mapping on this latest go of the 3.6, but all the info I have seen so far would indicate they messsd up a bit
i always drive conservatively so im not sure thats the issue. But is it really normal to have misfires like this? I notice them while driving and have them show on the app. Seems like its not normal to me but im far from an expert with engines

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i always drive conservatively so im not sure thats the issue. But is it really normal to have misfires like this? I notice them while driving and have them show on the app. Seems like its not normal to me but im far from an expert with engines
The counts are normal, if you are feeling them that is not acceptable. Is it broke not nessicarily. I have seen some information that unfortunately it is tuned to potentially run like this. The good news is at low powerit will not do any damage for a long while, and you can stop it if only temporary. The TSB software I have seen just dumbs down the diagnostics, which is not an acceptable fix.

To add to this most engines have some misfrire that happens as transients happen with throttle and shifting. As long as the counts don't accumulate under power, it usually is insignificant. They should also be mostly imperceivable. As it is a quick second on tip in or abrupt downshift. You actually hear this on modern muscle cars and people compliment the raspy exhaust

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
The counts are normal, if you are feeling them that is not acceptable. Is it broke not nessicarily. I have seen some information that unfortunately it is tuned to potentially run like this. The good news is at low powerit will not do any damage for a long while, and you can stop it if only temporary. The TSB software I have seen just dumbs down the diagnostics, which is not an acceptable fix.

To add to this most engines have some misfrire that happens as transients happen with throttle and shifting. As long as the counts don't accumulate under power, it usually is insignificant. They should also be mostly imperceivable. As it is a quick second on tip in or abrupt downshift. You actually hear this on modern muscle cars and people compliment the raspy exhaust
well that atleast makes me feel a little better. Im still going to have my dealer do a quick scan just to see if there are codes I am not seeing. Just seems odd that in addition to feeling the jutter ive lost 2mpg recently for no real reason

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I find that odd because mine logs no misfires - neither does my wife's 2021 now after the TSB.
Both smooth and the software doesn't show any misfires while it's running, and it stores no misfire codes.
The misfires with my wife's '21 GC were rough. It bucked, it was so obvious anyone would have asked "what's wrong with this thing.
Now when I plug in - it's clean. You note a hiccup during a moderate throttle upshift like 4 to 5 but otherwise, no misfires show.
Mine never had shown any. Not while I've been connected to it.
I grew up doing a lot of "tuning by ear" and can normally detect a misfire on almost anything.
Pre-OBD it's not uncommon and you can see it happen live on the scope (fuel OR ignition related, either way) and my 94 4.0 in my Eagle will now and then misfire at idle (it's got a cam that's a bit steep in the ramp), but the exhaust is normally smooth as silk.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I find that odd because mine logs no misfires - neither does my wife's 2021 now after the TSB.
Both smooth and the software doesn't show any misfires while it's running, and it stores no misfire codes.
The misfires with my wife's '21 GC were rough. It bucked, it was so obvious anyone would have asked "what's wrong with this thing.
Now when I plug in - it's clean. You note a hiccup during a moderate throttle upshift like 4 to 5 but otherwise, no misfires show.
I grew up doing a lot of "tuning by ear" and can normally detect a misfire on almost anything.
Pre-OBD it's not uncommon and you can see it happen live on the scope (fuel OR ignition related, either way) and my 94 4.0 in my Eagle will now and then misfire at idle (it's got a cam that's a bit steep in the ramp), but the exhaust is normally smooth as silk.
I feel like i can feel a hiccup or momentary loss of power, especially now that im paying more attention...but i just dont know if im making a mountain out of a mole hill. Or even just imagining it happening..
I will be swinging by my dealer in a couple hours. Hopefully its nothing or they find something since my warranty expires in 100 miles :surprised:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The TSB resets the adaptive learn and then slows down the adaptive learn. This keeps it from messing with the engine rating. Then they make the misfire monitor more tolerant. This will quell misfiring, not sure if it does it long term. The engine is set up to run LEAN.

I also have found the throttle dlictuates and causes what feels like a hesitation or misfire, but it isn't it is simply the throttle blades cyling during a steady state acceleration. I am fighting this on my tune right now.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like i can feel a hiccup or momentary loss of power, especially now that im paying more attention...but i just dont know if im making a mountain out of a mole hill. Or even just imagining it happening..
I will be swinging by my dealer in a couple hours. Hopefully its nothing or they find something since my warranty expires in 100 miles :surprised:
I would let the dealer see what you found, and check it out.
Sorry, but I disagree that a number of misfires like that is "normal" - especially when now that my wife's Jeep has been worked on, and my own JT since day one - no discernible misfires and the software sure doesn't list anything.
I learned to feel and hear such things over the decades, and only when my JT is switching modes after idling and warming up do I detect anything "rough" at all, and then it smooths back out. Driving - you can sit with it in gear and not feel so much as a light cough out of it.
When my security extension cables arrive I'll connect back up to my truck and drive it a bit. I have three apps on my phone I can use.
Last time I was connected with AlfaOBD I was running the truck to see if the auto high beam feature would ever show up by running it and messing with it - idled it a fair amount and it never caught any code of any sort.
P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire - of the last 0 is replaced by a number of 1 through 6, then it's a specific cylinder. In my wife's GC case it was always P0303 - cylinder 3
Sponsored