FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Nice build, it's basically exactly what I'm contemplating. Love the hood decal and black grille.

Have the 35's been noticeably sluggish or not too bad? Gas mileage hit? Are you happy with no lift so far? Any idea how much sag from the bumper and winch?
With these Kendas, they seem like normal. I haven't noticed a difference.

The mpg is around 16-17 right now with a mix of highway and city 50/50.

When summer comes I bet it'll be closer to 18.

I'm content with the lift so far as it's not huge compared to my 37s and 2 inch on the Rubicon.

I also have a pregnant wife lol

I'll take some measurements for the front with the bumper.
Sponsored

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Jon, for the Kendas did you install a lift or not ? You mentioned earlier you might just throw them on without a lift.

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Okay thanks. This is what threw me off:

"I'm content with the lift so far as it's not huge compared to my 37s and 2 inch on the Rubicon."

BTW How much do they stick out ?

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay thanks. This is what threw me off:

"I'm content with the lift so far as it's not huge compared to my 37s and 2 inch on the Rubicon."

BTW How much do they stick out ?
Gotcha, yeah I meant the little extra the larger tires give.
Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 20211109_142655

Sponsored

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, they don't seem to stick out at all. Thx for the picture.
Can you give me the size numbers on those tires ?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Loose Steering Fix - For ME - Do it your own risk :CWL:

So after some research, and forum threads, by now you've probably learned the loose steering is commonly attributed to a few options:

1.) Alignment
2.) Loose Torque Specs
3.) Steering Box

1. I started the idea that my torque specs were off - so I had an alignment done, which push my tires out a bit (I didn't keep the sheet). I thought this would take care of 1 and 2 - which it didn't.

2. I then went with a steering stabilizer. This tightened up the steering, which I thought was perfect - not so much. Thanks to some forum members, I was informed how that actually just hides the problem but stiffing up the linkage, but not actually taking care of the slop in it's true form. So although this did help - it did not fix the problem near enough.

The golden fix, the steering box adjustment. There are countless threads on here regarding this, but I wanted to put my two cents in on how I did it - steps included - not a lot of pictures....

*********** YOU WILL SEE A GREEN MARK ON THE NUT AND ALLEN SCREW. PUT A BLACK MARK ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE ******************
  1. Remove the airbox, two screws (10mm) towards the front.
  2. Unclip MAF --> has two snap screws as well.
  3. Unclip hose from rear side of MAF
  4. Loosen airbox hoses (8mm)

5. Pull out airbox
  6. Put the wrench on the nut that is on top of the steering box (15mm)
  7. I used a pry bar, and leveraged the axle down below and pulled towards the front of the car - easy.
  8. Use the butane torch and heat the nut and allen up. It took my about 30-45 seconds being about 3 inches off the nut/allen, going in a circular motion to heat up the locktite inside the threads.

9. Lose the nut up exactly 3/4 of a counter clockwise motion.
  10. Place the allen wrench (t25) inside the screw.
  11. While holding the wrench in place, tighten the allen screw (clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. I did 1/4, then redid this all for a 1/2.
  12. When tightening back up, keep the wrench and allen together, so they over lap --> that way when you tighten the allen screw and nut, they tighten together.

13. When you are looking down you should see your black mark on the allen screw no lining up with the green from factory.
    Here is what it looks like at 1/4 turn. I didn't retake the picture, but hopefully you get the idea.
    Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 20211109_142655
For those trying this, just know this will more than likely void your steering box warranty, and possibly other things associated with it? I personally can't see how Jeep let this one slide. I just drove 8 hours (4 hour one way) in 48 hours, 20+ mph winds, and that was with a 1/4 turn. 1/2 made all the difference in the world.

Big shout out out to Anthony: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/members/joker4l.24417/

He gave me the clue on the heat and additional 1/4 turn.

All I have left to add - if it's a choice of feeling safe in my vehicle, and voiding a steering box warranty, than risking losing control in the snowstorms, I'd void that warranty every day.
Is anyone still doing this since the newer steel boxes?

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anyone still doing this since the newer steel boxes?
Not with the new boxes I don't believe so.

Been away for a while but I haven't heard anyone doing, also have not searched it..

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my heated blades from my last JT onto the Mojave:
Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 20211226_205214

We are at around 6" of snow, which my Kendas handed beautifully, and have another 6" expected.
Ive never heard of or seen heater blades. Pretty cool. Have a link?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Question: Why did you remove the overhead MOLLE panel? I'm looking at getting one for radios, so curious if there was something I'm not thinking of.
Have you considered Eddie’s CBBar? Mine should be in this week and will install next weekend. The thought of a cheese grader above my head is something I want to avoid.

The second vid, is an install of a switch system, but he added a new mounting plate. Awesome option for those of us without the Aux switches
and according to parts houses and the dealer, one cannot be added if you have the oil burner.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
One of my favorite mods, the AJT key fob :)
I don’t get it. What’s the deal with the key fob? Looks to be about the same size.

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t get it. What’s the deal with the key fob? Looks to be about the same size.
I can see that, but it when you're that small of an item the little specs do in fact seem to make a difference. And it's much lighter - again small differences but noticeable.
Sponsored