JTR upsize to 35" no lift

Burma Jones

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
When I purchased my JTR Diesel it came with the standard 33" Wildpeak MTs. I took one look and presumed I wanted ATs for my high mileage daily driver. I negotiated a set of 35" ATs (Toyo OC 35x11.5x17). Was proud of my negotating prowess and the tire "upgrade".

So occurred right before vehicle and tire shortages and had to wait a bit. Was surprised by quality of ride, wet traction, and quiet ride of the Wildpeaks. Assumed Toyos would be a hard surface upgrade on all fronts and was really psyched for a ride that I really presumed couldn't be as good as already was with MTs.

Anyway, long story longer, got the Toyos (no lift) and, as I hinted, shocked at how much better the Falken's were. The biggest difference is the noise. The Falkens were shockingly quiet and the Toyos have a very annoying high pitch whine that starts to kick in around 60 mph. Also, while unscientific their wet traction is inferior. Because I was so suprised by Wikdpeaks I started trying to find ways to make them slip in rain (safely) and really could't. I can make the Toyos without deactivating ABS/antislip.

Anyway, its not that Toyos are bad just really didn't expect an MT to perform on pavement like the Wikpeaks. Noise difference is most annoying. The only true upgrade is Toyo makes a 35x11.5 in a C load which Wildpeak does not (otherwise I might change back)...

The look isn't even all that different to me.

1st image is with new 35" Toyos.

I know... TLDR...I did my best

20210822_195606.jpg

20210330_121117.jpg
Sponsored

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
My JTR came with the BFG MTs from new which I find noisy and bobble the Jeep at slow speed. The 35" Toyo is where I was going, interested to hear other people's views.....

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
if only Falken made 35x11.5x17 .. my factory 33, AT are quite and suite my needs other than the wheel gap. I was considering this size Toyos as well & keeping the stock 7.5 wheels ... thanks for the update!

OP
OP

Burma Jones

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
My JTR came with the BFG MTs from new which I find noisy and bobble the Jeep at slow speed. The 35" Toyo is where I was going, interested to hear other people's views.....
The MTs definately had the hard turn bobble but didn't really bother me. I suppose I likely have a better turning radius with the Toyos as well.

OP
OP

Burma Jones

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
if only Falken made 35x11.5x17 .. my factory 33, AT are quite and suite my needs other than the wheel gap. I was considering this size Toyos as well & keeping the stock 7.5 wheels ... thanks for the update!
Yes, I looked forever and never found wheels I liked better than the Rubirims which is what led me to the Toyos. I wanted to stay in spec while moving to 35s and keep them tucked-in under the fender.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I have 33x10.5 Toyo OCs on my TJ and really like them. Ran KM2s for years before that. I liked those too though, lol. I was thinking of trying some of the Interco skinny 35s on the Gladiator after I wear out the stock 33s.
Sponsored