First Name
PTTHOR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport. 2006 Jeep X
Occupation
retired
Has anybody removed the whole glass without breaking it. I want to make a removable panel for summer
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Has anybody removed the whole glass without breaking it. I want to make a removable panel for summer
It was when I had a new rear window installed under warranty.

insanitize

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Commando, 07 Rubi JKU, 2024 MINI, 21 Gladiator+
Occupation
NYC-DOT, Retired
This is something I thought about, either a removable glass or hinged at the top

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Whatever you do, make sure when it gets put back in or closed, it doesn't leak. There are voids between the inside and outside of the top that can and will collect water.

I know this because when my rear window leaked water collected inside my roof and you could hear it sloshing around in there. Jeep fixed the window but is replacing the top because they couldn't get all the water out. Hoping it'll be in later this month (was ordered back in early December...)

I would guess that you could seal that area at the bottom of the window so water cannot get inside the top but still...be aware of this.

OP
OP

PTTHOR

First Name
PTTHOR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport. 2006 Jeep X
Occupation
retired
Thx. will do. am going to get a Bull Dawg hard top for a jk 2 door. cut up to fix half of the back bed. they make a top with side sliding windows. will post progress when I start

Sponsored

Black_Widow_Overland

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/max tow, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Whatever you do, make sure when it gets put back in or closed, it doesn't leak. There are voids between the inside and outside of the top that can and will collect water.

I know this because when my rear window leaked water collected inside my roof and you could hear it sloshing around in there. Jeep fixed the window but is replacing the top because they couldn't get all the water out. Hoping it'll be in later this month (was ordered back in early December...)

I would guess that you could seal that area at the bottom of the window so water cannot get inside the top but still...be aware of this.
My Jeep goes in for this same problem. Just got a big rain storm and ever time i turn a corner, I can hear water moving around. Took it to the dealer and It goes in so they can look at it. I hope they can get the water out and repair the back window.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My Jeep goes in for this same problem. Just got a big rain storm and ever time i turn a corner, I can hear water moving around. Took it to the dealer and It goes in so they can look at it. I hope they can get the water out and repair the back window.
They tried to get all the water out of mine but couldn't. This is why I convinced them to simply replace the top because (and I see you're in WY) come winter, it'll freeze in there, expand, and crack the top even worse than just a leaky window.

They will also replace the glass because they broke mine trying to get the glass out of the old top for the new one (fortunately they already had a new one on hand for just in case). Also, when they replace your top, make sure they have that fascia that goes above the rear window on the inside. They forgot to order mine but, they did as soon as I noticed it and, a week later it was in and they installed it.

They told me that they could do the whole thing in a day and I could pick it up the afternoon it was finished. I told them to take their time to do it right and that I'd pick it up the next day in the afternoon because I wanted to make sure the window sealant set well before moving the vehicle and subjecting it to any torsion (potentially loosening some of the 'still drying' sealant) that could cause a repeat of the problem.

Again, INSIST on a new roof under warranty because of the potential freezing problem. I have a great dealer who understood the complete picture and so it was easy to convince them to simply replace the whole roof. Mind you, the new roof was ordered in early December '21 and didn't show up until early April '22 so...be patient and you'll get there :)

Black_Widow_Overland

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/max tow, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
They tried to get all the water out of mine but couldn't. This is why I convinced them to simply replace the top because (and I see you're in WY) come winter, it'll freeze in there, expand, and crack the top even worse than just a leaky window.

They will also replace the glass because they broke mine trying to get the glass out of the old top for the new one (fortunately they already had a new one on hand for just in case). Also, when they replace your top, make sure they have that fascia that goes above the rear window on the inside. They forgot to order mine but, they did as soon as I noticed it and, a week later it was in and they installed it.

They told me that they could do the whole thing in a day and I could pick it up the afternoon it was finished. I told them to take their time to do it right and that I'd pick it up the next day in the afternoon because I wanted to make sure the window sealant set well before moving the vehicle and subjecting it to any torsion (potentially loosening some of the 'still drying' sealant) that could cause a repeat of the problem.

Again, INSIST on a new roof under warranty because of the potential freezing problem. I have a great dealer who understood the complete picture and so it was easy to convince them to simply replace the whole roof. Mind you, the new roof was ordered in early December '21 and didn't show up until early April '22 so...be patient and you'll get there :)
Thanks. I'll screen shot this post incase they try screwing me around (local Jeep dealer/dodge dealer is known for screwing people) I have a ARE topper I'm gonna remove so they don't mess it up.
Sponsored