Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Well what do I know.????????

Well been divorced three times.... been bankrupt once..bet the family farm once and lost.

Came close to living in my car several times...

Then read a couple books on gaining wealth.. followed solid rules....laid down by smarter people before me... like don't borrow what you don't have in hand cash.. never lease..

And now my cash on hand is more than most average people make in a year, have over a million in equity...have a pretty good stock portfolio own my own home outright. own anything I want within reason. Wife is happy. All in 20 years.

And still borrowed a little on the latest vehicle to keep my credit number up, even though i could have paid cash.

Yea don't listen to me....Math never lies.. however I have met more than my fair share of car dealers who do.....
I think it's good advice, and it works for some people.

I think the advice is, don't borrow/spend what you don't have. It's good advice. Clearly that worked for you, and it's the same advice that worked for me. I no longer live check to check, over-drafting my account every week.

Actually it's the point those two linked articles make. But, yea, it sounds like in your position, financing or leasing are probably not the right course. You might purchase out right...

The point is - we must all do the math for ourselves. :like:
Sponsored

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
I was coming here to post this. This is a great idea on their part. Wow.
90% residuals are VERY strong... We all know Jeeps hold value, but WTF with that!?

I would guess that this is a ploy by FCA to get many, many butts into Gladiators as possible coming out of the gate here early on. It also explains some of the strong messaging from FCA w/r/t Affiliate discounts (Tread Lightly), as they don't want so many discounts to diminish the net take on leases.

My plan has been to wait to see what develops with the diesel, but with this deal I may lease a Sport S for the two years and then consider a Rubi Diesel at end of that lease. Takes care of the diesel waiting game and allows first year kinks to be ironed out before I commit to a purchase. The real questions/dilemmas for a lease on a Jeep are about mods (not a good idea) and possible trail damage (very bad idea).

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
90% residuals are VERY strong... We all know Jeeps hold value, but WTF with that!?

I would guess that this is a ploy by FCA to get many, many butts into Gladiators as possible coming out of the gate here early on. It also explains some of the strong messaging from FCA w/r/t Affiliate discounts (Tread Lightly), as they don't want so many discounts to diminish the net take on leases.

My plan has been to wait to see what develops with the diesel, but with this deal I may lease a Sport S for the two years and then consider a Rubi Diesel at end of that lease. Takes care of the diesel waiting game and allows first year kinks to be ironed out before I commit to a purchase. The real questions/dilemmas for a lease on a Jeep are about mods (not a good idea) and possible trail damage (very bad idea).
Wow I wasn't even thinking about that. If you got the car at 1% under invoice about 6% under MSRP. Which would mean that your cost for a two year lease is 4% of the MSRP plus 2 years interest on 96% of MSRP.

Aka if you had a trade in worth $4750. You would have a no payment 2 year lease of one of the hottest trucks out.

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Wow I wasn't even thinking about that. If you got the car at 1% under invoice about 6% under MSRP. Which would mean that your cost for a two year lease is 4% of the MSRP plus 2 years interest on 96% of MSRP.

Aka if you had a trade in worth $4750. You would have a no payment 2 year lease of one of the hottest trucks out.
If one could get < invoice and the 90% residual together, it’s a very strong proposition for anyone who is testing the waters or awaiting diesels, two doors, or other unicorn build specs.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
If I was a billionaire, or a millionaire I probably would not be on this forum at all. I'd have minions trolling forums for me - and minions for my minions. Actually, no, I wouldn't even know about forums. I'd be talking to the Mark Allen's and Michael Manley's of the world directly. I'd have minions building my wants...
6ceb5fbdd91e1c7b13125cbdde90340d.gif

You also would probably be driving a 6x6 Mercedes AMG G-Wagon, or just flying your helicopter everywhere, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Human's. We love giving advice, and, sometimes, blindly taking it...
beautifully said! funny thing, when i started this thread i was like WTF, i would never lease a jeep. Then after reading/researching, and coming across the https://www.motor1.com/news/346432/jeep-gladiator-insanely-low-lease/amp/ article, it struck a cord with me.

Well what do I know.????????
Sounds like you don't know the point of @ralphjjr's post. Everybody is different man. What works for you and your authors that helped you gain wealth, isn't necessarily what EVERYBODY else needs.

If one could get < invoice and the 90% residual together, it’s a very strong proposition for anyone who is testing the waters or awaiting diesels, two doors, or other unicorn build specs.
OH MAN! that's what i'm saying!
I'm new to jeeps/overlanding. If i work with a dealer like @Travis@TriCityJeep and get great lease terms on a JT for a 24 month, even a stripped down stock as a rock Sport, it'll be LIGHT YEARS better than driving my 2008 GC....no not grand cherokee, its a GRAND CARAVAN.

So i "throw money away" at a 2 year lease and have no assets to show for it, and i'm out like $4,000-$8,000 24 months later, what do I get for that?
I get:
  • To test out my dream truck for 24 months
  • stop driving my GC for FOREVER, BYE FELICIA, you were a good little van (don't tell her we're about to break up). :whew:
  • keep researching and figuring out what mods I want to do, maybe even doing some that can be undone when lease is up and swap the parts to my new JT.
  • Wait for the possible 3.0L turbo (tornado I think) motor that's rumored.
  • Wait for the possible PIHG (plug in hybrid gladiator)
  • Figure out if I really want/need a Rubicon, or if I'm content with just a sport or overland by hanging out with cool dudes like @pilotpat
@ralphjjr is a smart dude! I'd rather blow $4,000 per year (at this point in my life given all of MY circumstances) and wait and see, than make a $50,000 decision that I might not be in love with in 2-5 years. (yes i know you can sell the asset and they hold value very well, but i don't want to sink money like that at this time)

Oh, one day I will buy a JT and try to keep it forever, but I don't think that's what's best for ME today. Thanks @ralphjjr , i'm seriously considering the 2 year lease options with Travis now instead of waiting 2 years while all you guys are having all the PLYWOOD fun. :champagne:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anybody know why the online build/price tool only shows 36 or 48 month leases when the mopar1 article says it was a 24 month?

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
beautifully said! funny thing, when i started this thread i was like WTF, i would never lease a jeep. Then after reading/researching, and coming across the https://www.motor1.com/news/346432/jeep-gladiator-insanely-low-lease/amp/ article, it struck a cord with me.

Sounds like you don't know the point of @ralphjjr's post. Everybody is different man. What works for you and your authors that helped you gain wealth, isn't necessarily what EVERYBODY else needs.

I'm new to jeeps/overlanding. If i work with a dealer like @Travis@TriCityJeep and get great lease terms on a JT for a 24 month, even a stripped down stock as a rock Sport, it'll be LIGHT YEARS better than driving my 2008 GC....no not grand cherokee, its a GRAND CARAVAN.

So i "throw money away" at a 2 year lease and have no assets to show for it, and i'm out like $4,000-$8,000 24 months later, what do I get for that?
I get:
  • stop driving my GC for FOREVER, BYE FELICIA, you were a good little van (don't tell her we're about to break up). :whew:
  • keep researching and figuring out what mods I want to do, maybe even doing some that can be undone when lease is up and swap the parts to my new JT.
  • Figure out if I really want/need a Rubicon, or if I'm content with just a sport or overland by hanging out with cool dudes like @pilotpat
@ralphjjr is a smart dude! I'd rather blow $4,000 per year (at this point in my life given all of MY circumstances) and wait and see, than make a $50,000 decision that I might not be in love with in 2-5 years. (yes i know you can sell the asset and they hold value very well, but i don't want to sink money like that at this time)

Oh, one day I will buy a JT and try to keep it forever, but I don't think that's what's best for ME today. Thanks @ralphjjr , i'm seriously considering the 2 year lease options with Travis now instead of waiting 2 years while all you guys are having all the PLYWOOD fun. :champagne:

Very well said. My family has always said, "if your spending money, have something to show for it" , which is why I wasn't a fan of leasing, other than business vehicles. But yea, considering the same thing for same reasons, on either the JT or a JLU.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I

I get:

Im questioning myself on the lease as well. I get to get my truck I want with lower payments but I will want to keep it and everyone keeps saying if you definitely want to keep the truck don't lease. Why is that...? Say I lease the truck and say I want to keep it then I will be purchasing a used truck will payments be higher than new or significantly lower?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I

Im questioning myself on the lease as well. I get to get my truck I want with lower payments but I will want to keep it and everyone keeps saying if you definitely want to keep the truck don't lease. Why is that...? Say I lease the truck and say I want to keep it then I will be purchasing a used truck will payments be higher than new or significantly lower?
i'm not 100% sure how that works, but i believe you would essentially be buying (with conventional financing) the used lease vehicle from jeep.
So your payments on buying your leased vehicle would then be less than buying it new, because its depreciated to 90% residual.

So with such a high residual, the lease payment is super low. That's why i'm attracted to this so much.

Combine this with a no-money down lease, potentially % below invoice and pay like $300 taxes included lease payment. Neato!

Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
i'm not 100% sure how that works, but i believe you would essentially be buying (with conventional financing) the used lease vehicle from jeep.
So your payments on buying your leased vehicle would then be less than buying it new, because its depreciated to 90% residual.

So with such a high residual, the lease payment is super low.
That's what I'm thinking. I know either I'll have to save up and drop a ton of cash to buy new for at least a 700 month payment but if I leased I put down a low amount of cash and half of what if be paying if I bought instead of leased and when the lease is up and I buy it as used maybe payments will be around 6 or 700 a month .

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I'm thinking. I know either I'll have to save up and drop a ton of cash to buy new for at least a 700 month payment but if I leased I put down a low amount of cash and half of what if be paying if I bought instead of leased and when the lease is up and I buy it as used maybe payments will be around 6 or 700 a month .
and then you get to enjoy the truck NOW, and still own it for a similar or lower monthly cost later.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6ceb5fbdd91e1c7b13125cbdde90340d.gif

You also would probably be driving a 6x6 Mercedes AMG G-Wagon, or just flying your helicopter everywhere, lol.
airplanes bro. I'd have several dozen. single prop, jets, bi-planes...
cars are for plebeians...

:LOL:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I get:

This is exactly the point. Yes it might cost you more in the long run, but, it works for you...

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)