Sponsored

Let me see it.....Wow that things huge (winch woes)

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Ok I just picked up a 13k orcish winch and its enormous. 70lbs of massive heft. I thought the amazon delivery people were dropping off some lead stones when I grabbed it off the door step. I dont want to install something this massive. Are there any other options that arent 1k wimpy ATV winches that are somewhat more compact? I just cant believe they cant get the size down to something less obtrusive. Does anyone know of a like low profile or compact winch thats at least 9.5k or above? I Have a portable 7.5k winch that is only about 27lbs and is a 1/4 of the size of this thing.
Sponsored

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I just picked up a 13k orcish winch and its enormous. 70lbs of massive heft. I thought the amazon delivery people were dropping off some lead stones when I grabbed it off the door step. I dont want to install something this massive. Are there any other options that arent 1k wimpy ATV winches that are somewhat more compact? I just cant believe they cant get the size down to something less obtrusive. Does anyone know of a like low profile or compact winch thats at least 9.5k or above? I Have a portable 7.5k winch that is only about 27lbs and is a 1/4 of the size of this thing.
The lightest one I found is the Warn Evo 10s....and it comes in at 66lbs....

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Badland Apex 12,000 is about 80-8 pounds. It was fun lifting it into place.

You could just carry about 25 to 30 snatch blocks and a long rope and just pull your truck out yourself. lol
Naw, do the Red Green thing and have a bare rim welded to one of the back axles, wrap the rope around it and then as you spin, you winch yourself out.

OP
OP
athous

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I think the Badland Apex 12,000 is about 80-8 pounds. It was fun lifting it into place.

Naw, do the Red Green thing and have a bare rim welded to one of the back axles, wrap the rope around it and then as you spin, you winch yourself out.
Thats just crazy! I guess Ill just stick with my portable winch and throw it in the bed for when I need it. I swear looking at other peoples setups their winches are smaller. Test Mounting mine nearly covers the entire radiator. That cant be good for cooling. Or perhaps get one of those front hitches and mount it to that so I can remove it. However after I modified the bejesus out of my skid plate so itd work with my new bumper I wont be happy about now just tossing it.

FYI the skid plate on the mojave is pretty substantial and ate threw 2 14" cutting disc before I broke down and got a diamond cutting disc which still took forever.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like them down in the bumper. I was going to use a receiver winch mount but scrapped that plan. I plan on putting the front receiver back on this if I can figure out how to get it mounted with the brackets that are on the frame now. I still need a front receiver for moving trailers around.

Jeep Gladiator Let me see it.....Wow that things huge (winch woes) 20201017_135829_HDR

OP
OP
athous

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I like them down in the bumper. I was going to use a receiver winch mount but scrapped that plan. I plan on putting the front receiver back on this if I can figure out how to get it mounted with the brackets that are on the frame now. I still need a front receiver for moving trailers around.

Jeep Gladiator Let me see it.....Wow that things huge (winch woes) 20201017_135829_HDR
that looks really clean. Not so in your face like mine.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't want to interrupt air flow as I still hope to tow with this thing if there's car shows again next year.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I see the ad copy now. "Step on up Folks and check out the new RG approved beadlock/recovery wheel device. It Keeps the tire on the rim while utilizing an outer section that allows for recovery rope use. Two round turns and low gear is all you need."

There could also be a device that fits the wheel lug pattern. Oh the possibilities!

DJ_Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2021 JTR Diesel

Please post if you locate a front receiver that works.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My Badlands 12k winch weighs 62 lb. with the stock steel cable.
Sponsored