Sponsored

Lightweight "Tonneau Cover" using Fence Mesh?

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
As most truck owners can attest, having a chase rack/sport bar and a tonneau cover on at the same time is virtually impossible unless you go with one of the few manufacturers that just so happen to make both, or do some customization to one or the other to make both fit.

I eventually want to get the Rugged Ridge sport bar for my Gladiator, but haven't really seen any tonneau options that looked like they would work with it (aside from the one brand [A something?] that supposed makes ones that fit inside the bed rails, which is fine, but I haven't seen 100% confirmation that they are compatible).

This got me thinking... What if there were a way to use the polyester/pvc mesh that you usually see used for sunshades (like Spiderweb Shade, Shadeidea, Alien Sunshades, etc) as a lightweight tonneau cover?

Let me get the OBVIOUSLY stuff out the way:
  • Anything soft isn't going to be as secure as a hard cover, but that's a sacrifice that comes with adding racks and accessories to the bed. Not the point here.
  • It's not going to be completely weatherproof, as it wouldn't seal to the bed. If I care deeply about something, or am carrying something that absolutely cannot get a single drop of rain on it, it rides in the cab in the backseat.
The idea would be just to have "something more than nothing" between whatever I have in the bed and the open sky above. Like, if I have groceries or some small boxes back there, having a shade to keep some light rain off of them would help. Or if we're out riding around, having something to block our cooler from the sun would also be nice. Again, I'm not looking for top notch security, just minor protection without breaking the bank.

I came across this site, that makes customized mesh screens for chain-link fences. They can do them in tons of colors, can add grommets 12" apart, and appear to be very affordable ($35+). I'm thinking this, plus some bungee ball cords attached to hooks/rings in the bed side mounting holes...

Fence Privacy Screen for Chain Link - 90% Blockage | FenceScreen

I know it sounds stupid for most Gladiator owners, but I just thought it seemed like a neat option that I haven't seen anyone else try before.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
  1. I am assuming that, unless it is pulled super tight, there would be a bit of buffeting from wind. Maybe a crossbar underneath the middle section as a support might help?
  2. Is there a good way something like this could be removed quickly and easily (or, at least, not pain-in-the-assingly) in case you need to reach the front of the bed, or need additional vertical space?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rockymountainhigh

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Custom
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I know it sounds stupid for most Gladiator owners, but I just thought it seemed like a neat option that I haven't seen anyone else try before.

Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound stupid at all, in fact I quite like it! Something simple, easy to affix, and most importantly, available! So many things on backorder. I agree, it would provide just the right amount of sun protection for a short trip or light rain, etc. Then easy stowage behind the backseat or something. I like your thinking!

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Jeep Gladiator Lightweight "Tonneau Cover" using Fence Mesh? A6FDAA99-B6F6-40B3-94B2-956A4373BEBD

That is a very good idea the way I see it. Quick trips to the mountains or beach to escape the heat and you donā€™t really need the security like being in town. Quick easy access. Keeps your cooler cool. I like it.
They have some colors that would go well with our selections of paint choices it looks like.
I may configure one just to see what Iā€™d be out.
Being as I havenā€™t taken possession yet, does anyone have the box size that we would need to order with?
Very good idea @cafecito. Lots of us on here are ā€œbudget consciousā€, or ā€œtight assā€ as my wife calls it.šŸ˜†

OP
OP
cafecito

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Jeep Gladiator Lightweight "Tonneau Cover" using Fence Mesh? A6FDAA99-B6F6-40B3-94B2-956A4373BEBD

That is a very good idea the way I see it. Quick trips to the mountains or beach to escape the heat and you donā€™t really need the security like being in town. Quick easy access. Keeps your cooler cool. I like it.
They have some colors that would go well with our selections of paint choices it looks like.
I may configure one just to see what Iā€™d be out.
Being as I havenā€™t taken possession yet, does anyone have the box size that we would need to order with?
Very good idea @cafecito. Lots of us on here are ā€œbudget consciousā€, or ā€œtight assā€ as my wife calls it.šŸ˜†
Happy to help! lol

The bed is a hair over 5' deep, and the site says they shave 4" off to ensure a tight fit - so it would arrive as a 4'8" piece. As for width, I would go with 4 feet. The bed isn't much wider than 3 feet, and with their practice of shaving 4 inches off, I assume that would be about right.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
I really want the Rugged Ridge one. I almost bought it when it was 10% off the last couple days. But I think there will be situations where I need a tonneau. Or I could put a few of those 30gal or whatever size 'totes' in the back. I've been trying to find someone that has it and can tell me if they have to retighten the bolts. I pm'ed a couple people on here but they must have gone off the grid. The Fab Fours one is cool but way too expensive. I also like the Vanguard one. But that privacy screen is a great idea.

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Happy to help! lol

The bed is a hair over 5' deep, and the site says they shave 4" off to ensure a tight fit - so it would arrive as a 4'8" piece. As for width, I would go with 4 feet. The bed isn't much wider than 3 feet, and with their practice of shaving 4 inches off, I assume that would be about right.
I did 5ft by 4ft in beige (to match Gobi) and it came out to $65.
I may wait to see how yours fits before ordering. Iā€™m not sure about that 4 inches they tuck, although that might keep it taut at Highway speeds.
Youā€™re the Guinea pig, get that cover on order!šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
cafecito

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Corporate Tool
I did 5ft by 4ft in beige (to match Gobi) and it came out to $65.
I may wait to see how yours fits before ordering. Iā€™m not sure about that 4 inches they tuck, although that might keep it taut at Highway speeds.
Youā€™re the Guinea pig, get that cover on order!šŸ˜‰
Yea, it looks like there's a $25 upcharge for ordering a custom size. Still not bad considering Spiderweb Shades charges you that for one that only covers your driver and passenger roof.

I'll figure something out :)

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport & 2022 JLU Willys
Occupation
USAF Cyber
This is something I had never thought of til now, with all these random companies making shades for everything from side-by-sides and quads to Jeeps and Gladiators, Iā€™m surprised this isnā€™t already on the market! Hope it works out for you.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in the end of June, the Rugged Ridge Sport Rack was on sale for 10% off so I decided to get it from Rugged Ridge. It was delivered July 2nd and I put it on that day. It took me about 3.5hrs by myself. I have bad knees so I put some cardboard in the bed and just set it on the back of the truck and then carried the front piece to the front. It will kinda balance itself there until you bolt it into place. My Gladiator didn't have any threaded holes like the Gladiator in the install video so I had to use the provided nut plates. The front brackets had to be pounded into place a few times each side with a rubber mallet. I had read a review somewhere that someone else also had to do that. 2 out of the 4 felt pads were missing for where the side rails attach to the rack but I don't think 2 felt pads combined would have attached with the tiny bolts provided.

I'm thinking about how to use that mesh screen. When I put the crossbars on, maybe I can zip tie the screen underneath it. Then put a couple zip ties at the front corners around the front bars and maybe around the back. Probably get those thick heavy duty zip ties. But I think it just looks awesome. I'm glad I bought it.

20220705_170507a.jpg

OP
OP
cafecito

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Back in the end of June, the Rugged Ridge Sport Rack was on sale for 10% off so I decided to get it from Rugged Ridge. It was delivered July 2nd and I put it on that day. It took me about 3.5hrs by myself. I have bad knees so I put some cardboard in the bed and just set it on the back of the truck and then carried the front piece to the front. It will kinda balance itself there until you bolt it into place. My Gladiator didn't have any threaded holes like the Gladiator in the install video so I had to use the provided nut plates. The front brackets had to be pounded into place a few times each side with a rubber mallet. I had read a review somewhere that someone else also had to do that. 2 out of the 4 felt pads were missing for where the side rails attach to the rack but I don't think 2 felt pads combined would have attached with the tiny bolts provided.

I'm thinking about how to use that mesh screen. When I put the crossbars on, maybe I can zip tie the screen underneath it. Then put a couple zip ties at the front corners around the front bars and maybe around the back. Probably get those thick heavy duty zip ties. But I think it just looks awesome. I'm glad I bought it.

Jeep Gladiator Lightweight "Tonneau Cover" using Fence Mesh? 20220705_170507a
Dude I am so jealous! That rack is at the top of my wishlist. :)

I was imagining using something like these in the factory screw holes to just give the bungees (or caribiners, I suppose) something to grab onto. I guess it would depend which holes the rack occupies already as to whether or not it could work.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude I am so jealous! That rack is at the top of my wishlist. :)

I was imagining using something like these in the factory screw holes to just give the bungees (or caribiners, I suppose) something to grab onto. I guess it would depend which holes the rack occupies already as to whether or not it could work.
That's a great idea!
Sponsored