OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Sounds like Max Tow is the way to go for you. The Rubicon has similiar towing ability really - but your looking at budget and the incentives for the Sport are so much better then the Rubicon. Your going to be able to get a real good deal on the Max Tow (likelyhood of same discounts on a Rubicon are slim unless you find dealer that really wants to get rid of some).

If going for budget. I would still get the 8.5" stereo upgrade if possible, of course the Max Tow package, cold weather, and Aux switch options.
Yea those are the additional shooting for. I will seek out the most truck I can get but keep it in my price range. I don't want to get into a deal of paying more than I am comfortable monthly just to say I have a more fancy truck. To me its just being able to have the jeep truck even if that means I got to go sport, sport s, etc. If I keep it to $40K and put down around $10K will work for me. I currently owe $18,500 on my 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn which is in excellent condition and 40K miles. I haven't looked at Blue Book value yet so maybe can sell it outright or work a deal of sorts. Will see.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to try to go Soft Top if possible. The idea of me getting the jeep truck is so I can open it up when riding and of course still being able to cover up quickly in the South Texas and Louisiana rain storms that pop up at any time.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Everything except the tow rating...
If you get anywhere near 7,000 lbs. behind a JT you’re not going to be worried about that 650 lbs. I can assure you. As someone who spent yesrs towing goosenecks loaded with steel all over the southeast, boats, loaded trailers with equipment well-beyond safe max with pickup trucks, trust me...You get more than 6,000 lbs. behind a JT with a V6, you’re not going to want to go any heavier...I promise.

I owned a 23’ wakeboard boat that weighed in at 6,500 lbs. with the trailer... And I still knew it was behind my 2500 Cummins with 600 HP & 1100 lbs.ft. TQ.

If you don’t believe me, you’ve never really towed anything. Go hook up 7,000 lbs. behind your JT and video your 0-60 times, and how hard your Jeep will be running to pull that much weight.

Evperyone is always proudly proclaiming that extra 660 lbs. towing capacity the Max Tow has over the Rubicon... But let’s see it in action... I bet money we never will. :like:

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you get anywhere near 7,000 lbs. behind a JT you’re not going to be worried about that 650 lbs. I can assure you. As someone who spent yesrs towing goosenecks loaded with steel all over the southeast, boats, loaded trailers with equipment well-beyond safe max with pickup trucks, trust me...You get more than 6,000 lbs. behind a JT with a V6, you’re not going to want to go any heavier...I promise.

I owned a 23’ wakeboard boat that weighed in at 6,500 lbs. with the trailer... And I still knew it was behind my 2500 Cummins with 600 HP & 1100 lbs.ft. TQ.

If you don’t believe me, you’ve never really towed anything. Go hook up 7,000 lbs. behind your JT and video your 0-60 times, and how hard your Jeep will be running to pull that much weight.

Evperyone is always proudly proclaiming that extra 660 lbs. towing capacity the Max Tow has over the Rubicon... But let’s see it in action... I bet money we never will. :like:
I tow a lot and have towed vehicles with the Gladiator myself. Most recently was about 6,000lbs (pic attached)...had the cruise control on and got about 15mpg. I have a 2012 JKUR that weighs approx 5,300, my trailer 1,400lbs...if I had bought a max tow that would change a 95% tow weight (with my JTR) to an 87% tow weight (with a Max Tow)....and every % matters with mid-trucks and V6's. For further reference if we were able to grow that Max Tow the same 8% in its favor the truck would be rated at an impressive 8,300lbs towing capacity. In other words...the numbers do matter.

But...to your point (sort of) the 650lbs of difference doesn't matter that much to me. Its a product of a slightly heavier rig coupled with higher heat temps that are generated due to the larger 33" tires (final gearing). I'm not towing in the mountains, so those extreme ratings aren't worrisome to me. Of course we could also discuss the change in lifts and tires and any other mod that changes weights, drag and final gearing...which pretty much throws the stock ratings out of the window anyway.

Jeep Gladiator Like a kid in a candy store 97744249_10217671265036474_408101259820662784_n

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That car and trailer setup is nowhere near 6,000 lbs. Maybe 4,500 tops...

And 15 MPG? Sorry, not buying that..

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
That car and trailer setup is nowhere near 6,000 lbs. Maybe 4,500 tops...

And 15 MPG? Sorry, not buying that..
Not really interested in what you’re buying.

As for the weight - vehicle weighs 3600 empty. Trailer 1400 empty (edit, my bad...1460). That alone is over 5k. Plus the trailer has a loaded tool box, 2 extra spare tires...as does the Accord had a full tank and a bunch shit in it. It’s easily north of 5500.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not really interested in what you’re buying.

As for the weight - vehicle weighs 3600 empty. Trailer 1400 empty (edit, my bad...1460). That alone is over 5k. Plus the trailer has a loaded tool box, 2 extra spare tires...as does the Accord had a full tank and a bunch shit in it. It’s easily north of 5500.
Whatever you say slick... It’s your story, you tell it like you want.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Facts are hard to understand.....in Alabama.
“And so I said to him...“The truth IS what I say it is!”...” :CWL::LOL::CWL:

It always gets laughable when the personal attacks start.

The facts might be “hard to understand in Alabama“, but apparantly math is hard to understand in San Antonio... :CWL:

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
“And so I said to him...“The truth IS what I say it is!”...” :CWL::LOL::CWL:

It always gets laughable when the personal attacks start. Hahaha!
As tho "slick" wasn't intended to be disparaging. Or attempting to call me a liar, ignorant or whatever it was you so terribly worded up there.

This discussion is lowering my IQ, so this is the last response to it. But have at it, hero -

1460: https://www.bigtextrailerworld.com/...g-at-2379.html?inventory_id=18603&user_id=454

Curb 3600: https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2009-Honda-Accord-3.5_EX_L__4dr_Sedan/specs/

Even if that was everything behind the Jeep (which it isn't) thats over 5K (Like I said). Of course, like I also said, facts aren't of real importance in your neck of the woods apparently.

Only real unknown variables here are any additional weight factors (like I said), like whether or not Honda includes a full tank of gas in their curb weight definitions (it ranges per manufacturer). If they don't thats another 100lbs...along with the tool box, tools, sway bar system, extra spare tires, straps, jack, weight of the bedliner the trailer in equipped with and all my teenage girls shit in there with it. So while, when itemizing it all out, it might be a stretch to call it 6K....its much closer to that than "4500 tops". Only real way to know is to weigh it, which isn't something I cared to do.

But those pesky facts...they really get in the way of the town wanna-be know-it-all with 15min of experience with Jeeps. I can't even believe I decided to type out that Wal-Mart level information.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, hell, I must have been wrong... Sounds like you had about 10,000 lbs. you were towing. Damn fine job for a JT, if I do say do myself. :clap:

As for my “15 minutes of Jeep experience”, that has shit to do with the other 18+ years of towing and off-road truck building experience. So, just keep assuming I’m an ignorant hick... I love being underestimated, it shows your own level of capacity.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys no need to get into it over some towing. Its all good and thanks for all the info. Will just see what I can get and I will be plenty happy. As I said regardless what model I will be like a kid in a candy store just to have one.
Sponsored