Sponsored

Limited production? Price?

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Whats the latest thinking about the Wrangler pickup. Is it going to be mass production or limited numbers? I'd like to see them go all out after the pickup market. There's a huge slice of pie to be had.

And how should we expect the pickup to be positioned in the Wrangler lineup price wise?
Sponsored

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
The cost for converting the Wrangler to a pickup is already being spent so why limit sales. The pickup market is going strong so I would think FCA wants to make it a permanent part of the Jeep line up.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
The cost for converting the Wrangler to a pickup is already being spent so why limit sales. The pickup market is going strong so I would think FCA wants to make it a permanent part of the Jeep line up.
+1 wanna know how many F series trucks Ford sold in 2015 in the US alone? 780,354!!!! And that's just F series pickups. Imagine if you added all the other popular pickups made by GM and Toyota.

Truck guys love their cars having a tough image, which the Wrangler has most of compared to any other utility vehicle available to consumers. FCA is gonna make a killing with the JP Wrangler pickup. They'll sell as many as they can make!

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
+1 wanna know how many F series trucks Ford sold in 2015 in the US alone? 780,354!!!! And that's just F series pickups. Imagine if you added all the other popular pickups made by GM and Toyota.

Truck guys love their cars having a tough image, which the Wrangler has most of compared to any other utility vehicle available to consumers. FCA is gonna make a killing with the JP Wrangler pickup. They'll sell as many as they can make!
Yeah, I agree with you, I bet the JT pickups will sell at least 50,000 trucks in its first 6 months of availability

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
Yeah, I agree with you, I bet the JT pickups will sell at least 50,000 trucks in its first 6 months of availability
I can see it selling tens of thousands in just a few months. But I wonder how much of those sales will be sales that would have otherwise gone to the 2 and 4 door Wranglers vs stealing sales from other pickup alternatives.

Sponsored

SuperWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Whats the latest thinking about the Wrangler pickup. Is it going to be mass production or limited numbers? I'd like to see them go all out after the pickup market. There's a huge slice of pie to be had.
Even if Jeep doesn't put a hard limit on production numbers for the Wrangler pickup it might end up limited just because of overwhelming demand. The Toyota Tacoma and Tundra for example are both gonna be production constrained in 2017 because the factories that make them are already running at full capacity. I could easily see this happening if demand is high for the JT, which I think it will be!

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I can see it selling tens of thousands in just a few months. But I wonder how much of those sales will be sales that would have otherwise gone to the 2 and 4 door Wranglers vs stealing sales from other pickup alternatives.
I highly doubt it will be cannibalizing any JL sales. Besides some shared design language I bet the JT is going to be a legit midsize work truck with average off roading ability. Most JK and JKU sales go to those who want a more rugged SUV and not looking for a pickup truck with a flat bed.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
I highly doubt it will be cannibalizing any JL sales. Besides some shared design language I bet the JT is going to be a legit midsize work truck with average off roading ability. Most JK and JKU sales go to those who want a more rugged SUV and not looking for a pickup truck with a flat bed.
Some sales cannibalizing will for sure happen. I can easily see there might be many who want a Jeep but figure hey why not add even more utility with a flatbed. This is assuming price isn't so different between the JT and JL/JLU of course.

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
Some sales cannibalizing will for sure happen. I can easily see there might be many who want a Jeep but figure hey why not add even more utility with a flatbed. This is assuming price isn't so different between the JT and JL/JLU of course.
and it will cannibalize Ram 1500 sales as well

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Sales cannibalization is always really overstated IMO. A Wrangler pickup has been in high demand for many years. Where there is a lot of demand and no supply the company is leaving money on the table. Like any model there will be cross shoppers from other models and brands, even within Jeep and RAM, but right now there is an untapped market of new buyers all of which will add to the Jeep halo effect. As we all know it's a hard bug to kick once you're in the club lol!

Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger

Just read that Ford sold 72,000 F-Series trucks in November! Industry wide, overall sales of trucks increased 4.9% and SUVs jumped 18.9%! Jeep will hands down sell every single Wrangler pickup they make.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
It'll be mass produced for sure. Not surprising why limit sales when the trucks segment just keeps booming. Its already been confirmed for international markets with production starting in 2019 and a year earlier for the U.S. market.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport

And how should we expect the pickup to be positioned in the Wrangler lineup price wise?
I've read around that sources said the JT won't be cheap. They have it pegged at starting over $30k which means most of them we see on dealer lots will be >$35k sticker. Question is gonna be how many people are willing to pay $35-40k for a midsize pickup truck.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Question is gonna be how many people are willing to pay $35-40k for a midsize pickup truck.
A lot! Toyota is not having a hard time selling $40K+ Tacomas, and GM is selling $40K plus Canyons (with diesels). So a base of $30K wont stop most buyers. Heck when the Ford Ranger comes back I bet it will start over $30K as well

Reactions: AWD

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Agree! Pickups no longer just serve as construction and pure utility vehicles. They've long also become lifestyle cars so people are willing to pay accordingly. You can see that reflected in the special editions and performance models offered these days. The F-150 is a good example -- it's got luxury editions like King Edition ($50k+) and hi-po models like the Raptor (starts at nearly $50k)!

The huge pickup market is ripe for Jeep to take a big bite out of even with a Wrangler pickup that starts at more than 30 grand.
Sponsored