First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Okay, here in Canada things are worded a bit differently.
The sticker on window of the vehicles is known as the mfg's MSRP.
Nobody ever pays that.
Dealer invoice is exactly as it sounds, what the dealer pays.
The dealer can and usually does add doc fees, I have seem them up to $500.
If you can get a new vehicle $249 above the dealer invoice...do it.
Unless of course they are adding "other" fees for docs, $80 locking lug nuts, and $200 for mud flaps, and $200 for floor mats, etc.
Those are so much cheaper after market or a negotiating point.
Best deal I ever got was a big cash back offer (applied to the MSRP), and 0% financing and
$100 over dealer invoice. It is well known the dealers make their money on used or your
trade.
Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
There is nothing that marries you to having maintenance and warranty work done at the dealer you purchase at. If a dealer treats you different because you bought your Jeep somewhere else, they prove themselves fickle and untrustworthy, in my mind. It’s THEIR job to earn your business each and every time you need something, not the other way around.
Yes you can go to any authorized FCA dealer, BUT, preferential treatment is usually given to
those that purchased at that dealer. Loaners, time to get in, etc.
Regardless of where you buy it, the dealer is paid by FCA for warranty work you have done.
But non warranty work can be cheaper to the dealerships own customers, by better shop rates and or discounts on parts.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
For those not traveling to far away lands to get the 6-ish percent under invoive deals and who are instead starting with affiliate/tread lightly pricing (only 1 percent under invoice) as the maximum price you are willing to pay, how do you plan to get more money off? I assume there will be no additional rebates to stack with this for this new of a car, especially one that is getting ordered.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Yes you can go to any authorized FCA dealer, BUT, preferential treatment is usually given to
those that purchased at that dealer. Loaners, time to get in, etc.
Regardless of where you buy it, the dealer is paid by FCA for warranty work you have done.
But non warranty work can be cheaper to the dealerships own customers, by better shop rates and or discounts on parts.

That may be true in Canada but in the US the service department usually doesn’t know where the car was bought and could care less. The service department is where a dealership makes the bulk of its money and the hourly rate paid by the customer is the same if you bought the truck there or elsewhere.
Same for loaner vehicles etc.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That may be true in Canada but in the US the service department usually doesn’t know where the car was bought and could care less. The service department is where a dealership makes the bulk of its money and the hourly rate paid by the customer is the same if you bought the truck there or elsewhere.
Same for loaner vehicles etc.
Well when they run the VIN here, it tells the selling dealership.
Yes the service department does make s good chunk of revenue here too.
Worked the same way when I was in the RV business, and being such a silly seasonal
business, those that purchased from us, took precedence over those that did not.

Jeep you tips up

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 2.0
Be good to see the order guide once released with retail vs. dealer pricing. Don't forget that factory orders are easier for the dealer as well (allotments not effected, clawback, and a lot of other crap I don't really understand).
I did not push too much on the JL pricing. I too am 100% commission in my job, so I might see a higher value in the service aspect...like the fact that the dealership owner came to my house pre-delivery with the JL, took off the hard top (August delivery) - complimented me on the awesome storage stand I built for it - took the Jl back to the dealership and delivered the vehicle with the my soft top installed - saving me the hassle of that hot mess.

I DID however let him know, that with the JT came out, I would be shopping hard.

Having now a better understanding on the dealer benefits of factory orders will only help as well...so wait for the pricing guide to be posted - you'll know what the dealer is making off you (because after all, they got to make some money as well).

*EDIT added* The dealer also honored the trade in on my wifes beat up 150,000 kms Patriot, even though we put 25,000 kms on it in the 4 months between order and delivery.
Sponsored