First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m just glad you guys are arguing about something OTHER than whether people should be staying home vs being told what to do, like I see everywhere else. So, thanks!
Discussion not argument. Bio and I have a lot that we agree on. This one discussion doesn’t change that.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Can you cite some research reinforcing your position?
I can only share the types of feedback that the EcoDiesel forums have produced. A failed DPF is not common. You're more likely to have a failed engine, failed EGR, or a tone ring failure than a DPF failure. We have, however, found ways to improve the DPF function and reduce regens.

Also please explain how that stuff helps preserve the after treatment system? I’m not saying it doesn’t work but the logic escapes me.
The title of this article is: How EDT and Diesel Extreme Can Correct DPF and Regen Issues:

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/blog/how-edt-and-diesel-extreme-can-correct-dpf-and-regen-issues/

I’m not trying to argue with you and I hope that is not how you are perceiving my comments. Knowledge is power and the more we have the better we are. As a man in a science related career we have to change how we think about things often. But to change our thinking we need evidence (evidence based medicine) to change our approach. Please point me to some literature so that I can do my own research and learn more about the system and process.
As I've said before, it boils down to application. That's the problem with research. A lot of research is biased. There's quantitative and qualitative research. That's why comparing tier four emissions doesn't make sense since the tuning application is different for each, plus the components that deal with the emissions is constantly changing and evolving. Quantitative research says that all 2020 diesels have the same tier four emissions requirements and components that the EcoDiesel has, therefore they will all experience similar problems and failures. Qualitative research says that heavy equipment, farming equipment, railroad locomotives, Ram's 6.7L Cummins, and EcoDiesels all have to meet or exceed tier four emissions standards, but they are different from each other and will experience different problems and failure rates.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m just glad you guys are arguing about something OTHER than whether people should be staying home vs being told what to do, like I see everywhere else. So, thanks!
There are two definitions for argument:

Definition #1 - an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.

Definition #2 - a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Just to be clear, we are definition #2.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Discussion not argument. Bio and I have a lot that we agree on. This one discussion doesn’t change that.
It goes back to intent. Your intent is to inform potential diesel buyers what to expect before purchasing a vehicle based on the knowledge that you have. My intent is to do the same. Your set of knowledge comes from what you have read, researched, and experienced. My set of knowledge comes from what I have read, researched, and experienced.

At the end of the day, people can read this and make their own informed decisions.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
It goes back to intent. Your intent is to inform potential diesel buyers what to expect before purchasing a vehicle based on the knowledge that you have. My intent is to do the same. Your set of knowledge comes from what you have read, researched, and experienced. My set of knowledge comes from what I have read, researched, and experienced.

At the end of the day, people can read this and make their own informed decisions.
I agree. For a minute I thought you were telling everyone my side was a bunch of number 2!

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My wife tells me I am full of number 2 every time I try to justify whatever I just bought for the Gladiator.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That is a little backwards. At low temperatures the SCR actually creates pollution so it is deactivated and EGR takes over.

And second one is arguing that very thing right now.
A dealership said DEF usage will be higher when idling or slowly driving and that's what I'm seeing on my Gen 3. If I drive it on the highway, tow with it, etc. the DEF needle never moves. If I spend a lot of time around town or idle more, it goes through DEF quickly. So I don't know... I tend to believe they're telling the truth.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Look through all of the links I posted. Several of them mention that EGT needs to be up to about 800F for SCR to be effective. At lower temps that catalyst is inactivated by sulfur reacting with the NH3.
Sponsored