Moab or Big Basin

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Kids (11 and 7) have Spring Break in the middle of March, and I’m milling over going to either Big Bend or Moab with them and the wife. This wouldn’t be solely a wheeling trip, we’d do some sightseeing, hiking, and other tourist things

which one would be better for the family? There’s a lot more lodging in Moab (wife won’t camp) but I kinda want to save Moab for a pure wheeling trip. Then again, it’s only 7ish hours away anyway

what do you all think?
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Both are great, don't forget death valley. That is a great trifecta.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Kids (11 and 7) have Spring Break in the middle of March, and I’m milling over going to either Big Bend or Moab with them and the wife. This wouldn’t be solely a wheeling trip, we’d do some sightseeing, hiking, and other tourist things

which one would be better for the family? There’s a lot more lodging in Moab (wife won’t camp) but I kinda want to save Moab for a pure wheeling trip. Then again, it’s only 7ish hours away anyway

what do you all think?
Moab is amazing. We’re also close at 5+ hours away and went twice last year. Us and the kids. As a family, our trips are not exclusively trail driving either, but we did do poison spider one day in October. Arches and canyon lands have great 4x4 driving and easy family hikes everywhere. We’ll go at least twice this year as well. We camp and love it, so can’t answer hotel questions. Moab has become one of my favorite places in the country.

Sambo Rambo

First Name
Samson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Green Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Detective
I grew up near Moab and I drive back every year from San Diego. It's worth the 12-hour trip. It's a Mecca for outdoor enthusiast. You have world class hiking, rock climbing, white water rafting, and four wheeling in one location. Hard to beat in my opinion. Plus the Moab brewery is one of my favorite breweries in the country and they started making spirits! Their whiskey alone may be worth the trip. The only problem with Moab is that you can't see 5% of all the trails on one trip and your definitely going to have to go back.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Moab ....definitely. 😁

Great trails and 2 spectacular national parks and 1 state park right there.

6083D37A-DE43-4121-BA2F-9E18D6F8CE58.jpeg

Sponsored

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Both locations will be a madhouse at spring break, but both would be great trips.

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
We were in Utah last March and it wasn't too crowded. We are supposed to be there this March between the 13th and 20th. Moab diner has the best green chili breakfast burrito. Now, I mainly camp but years ago I stayed on the Apache Motel in the John Wayne Suit. That was where he always stayed when he filmed there.

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
I grew up near Moab and I drive back every year from San Diego. It's worth the 12-hour trip. It's a Mecca for outdoor enthusiast. You have world class hiking, rock climbing, white water rafting, and four wheeling in one location. Hard to beat in my opinion. Plus the Moab brewery is one of my favorite breweries in the country and they started making spirits! Their whiskey alone may be worth the trip. The only problem with Moab is that you can't see 5% of all the trails on one trip and your definitely going to have to go back.
and don't forget mountain biking.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
I have been to both,
Big Bend is great if you want solitude, not sure if the kids would like it. If you go you can combine it with Carlsbad caverns and Roswell, maybe White Sands. I think they would like the caverns more than BB.
Other options in the BB area I would recommend are closed canyon, Santa Elena Canyon,
Christmas Mountains High Point if you can get a pass, Indian Lodge at fort davis state park to stay...
Black Gap is the only real technical road there and not by much.
BB also fills up on spring break so check the Texas universities calendar.

Big Bend is the quietest, darkest place I have ever camped (Glenn Springs). Much more so than the white rim in canyonlands.

I think your kids would like Moab better, I loved BB but for kids not so sure. I did get diverted last trip to Moab off US40, went by El Morro National Monument, I want to go back to that area, if may be on your way also.

Jeep Gladiator Moab or Big Basin bb
Jeep Gladiator Moab or Big Basin Big Bend

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
i think arches np has timed entry now, you may need to make a reservation now.

I also recommend the back way in so you miss any lines at the gate

Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator Mojave
Im doing the moab thing with wife and kids at end of may. Also going solo, going to do easy to moderate trails with some nice sights (stock Mojave). kids cant wait..neither can I!

Last edited:

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Big Bend is desolate as hell. I would keep that in mind if you’re bringing kiddos.

I worked near there a few times and it’s definitely the most beautiful part of Texas and one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Just really far from civilization lol.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
We ended up going to Moab

highly recommend