Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
:CWL:
im still nursing a shoulder after surgery and figured mounting a smaller/ lighter winch to the ceiling would be easier. Then I see this set up with the pulleys and think “duh” just wall mount the hoist!

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Why are y’all using such big winches? I bought a 110 lb winch today to construct a hoist like this but I feel like I need to return it for something more powerful after reading this thread.
Also what are the pros and cons of ceiling mounting the winch vs wall mount with pulleys?
Do they make anything with less than 220 lb single line pull? The HF shown is 440 double line.

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
Northern tools 110 lb but the 220 lb was on sale and less money I just figured the smaller winch was easier to deal with..... honestly I’m thinking of going get a boat trailer hand winch to keep things more simple..... thoughts?

Sponsored

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Cajundoc, I looked at about 50 examples of different lift methods that people have put together. Several used the boat crank that you show along with every imaginable form of powered winch. I ended up with a solution that best fit my needs and garage space. There is no wrong way to do this.

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Why are y’all using such big winches? I bought a 110 lb winch today to construct a hoist like this but I feel like I need to return it for something more powerful after reading this thread.
Also what are the pros and cons of ceiling mounting the winch vs wall mount with pulleys?
I liked the Harbor Freight Winch with the 8 foot remote cord. It allows me to stand next to the top while raising or lowering and guide it EXACTLY where I want it to land. The wall mount and pulleys actually gave me more clearance with a really low (8’) ceiling in my garage.

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
I liked the Harbor Freight Winch with the 8 foot remote cord. It allows me to stand next to the top while raising or lowering and guide it EXACTLY where I want it to land. The wall mount and pulleys actually gave me more clearance with a really low (8’) ceiling in my garage.
That makes sense... standing next to the top to guide it down. Pulley thing makes sense also to give more
Clearance. Now I just need to figure how to mount the winch so it doesn’t trigger the safety stop when wall mounted. The smaller winch may actually crank/ move slower which would be a plus.

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed

Sponsored

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I almost bought that one as well. However, after a couple of trips to the local store and reading on the box that these winches (vs. hoist) are not recommended for vertical load holding I went with the hoist. Now, having said this I've seen them used in several of these applications, so maybe that's just there for their lawyers.
I load tested mine by grabbing the cross bar and doing a few pull-ups and then had my wife joint my 200+ lb ass up off the ground with it....the disclaimer is from the lawyers. If it will do a 1200 lb plus horizontal pull it’ll do a 2-300 lb vertical pull very easily.

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
Well mounting a hoist on the ceiling will not be an option.... not enough clearance. I’m gonna return the hoist and I guess go with the harbor freight winch

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
Can anyone tell me where to put the top pulley. Of course centerline but how far front to back

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Can anyone tell me where to put the top pulley. Of course centerline but how far front to back
See Pic. Right above the corner of the upper and rear door area.

F434E800-2DC3-49D5-AB17-A5DAD4A6DD70.jpeg
Sponsored