Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's not hard. Just measure the fattest part of the sidewall in front of the tires, then again on the back side at the same height off the ground. Set the toe to 1/8" less on the front side and you should be right about where you need to be. Good luck!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what's above -

I modify that a bit.......
I use the ribs on the tire face - I hook a tape measure to the tread, bit of tape to hold it in place. Measure to the same place on the other tire so I have a measurement of say center rib to center rib of each tire at the front.
Then I do the same at the rear which on these works out pretty well because you can actually get a tape measure through under the truck.
Ideally you measure exactly half-way up on the tire, dead even with the center of the spindle, same height front and rear.
When I did alignments years ago we also used a spreader bar to push the wheels apart at the front to simulate the road forces shoving the tires outward. Ended up more accurate.

The long red line on the side of the tire indicates half-way up, measure here both front and back, if not possible, get as close as you can, but do the same front and back.

The other is where I hooked a tape measure (and a bit of duct tape to hold the end in place)
Easier with tires with straight ribs. Where-ever you choose to measure, choose the same exact spot both sides, front and back of the front tires, to keep it even.
Choose a spot on the tread face or the outside edge of the tire, which-ever is easiest on your tires and your truck. As long as you use the exact same spots each time, you'll be fine.
IF you measure 50" on the front, you want 50 1/8" at the rear of the front tires. A 1/8" difference, whatever your measurements are.

Jeep Gladiator Need Help! Track Bar Bushing Going Bad? toe-measure-spots

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
It's not hard. Just measure the fattest part of the sidewall in front of the tires, then again on the back side at the same height off the ground. Set the toe to 1/8" less on the front side and you should be right about where you need to be. Good luck!
does the front end NEED to be off the ground, with the front suspension suspended, to do that? thats one of my sticking points where I find conflicting info as I peruse the internet.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
If you want accurate toe measurements, they should always be taken off the wheels (after confirming each wheel runs true).

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
does the front end NEED to be off the ground, with the front suspension suspended, to do that? thats one of my sticking points where I find conflicting info as I peruse the internet.
No, on the ground, with the wheels as straight as possible. After setting the toe, you can re-center the steering wheel via the drag link adjustment if necessary. Both adjustment collars only have a single 15mm head pinch bolt.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what's above -

I modify that a bit.......
I use the ribs on the tire face - I hook a tape measure to the tread, bit of tape to hold it in place. Measure to the same place on the other tire so I have a measurement of say center rib to center rib of each tire at the front.
Then I do the same at the rear which on these works out pretty well because you can actually get a tape measure through under the truck.
Ideally you measure exactly half-way up on the tire, dead even with the center of the spindle, same height front and rear.
When I did alignments years ago we also used a spreader bar to push the wheels apart at the front to simulate the road forces shoving the tires outward. Ended up more accurate.

The long red line on the side of the tire indicates half-way up, measure here both front and back, if not possible, get as close as you can, but do the same front and back.

The other is where I hooked a tape measure (and a bit of duct tape to hold the end in place)
Easier with tires with straight ribs. Where-ever you choose to measure, choose the same exact spot both sides, front and back of the front tires, to keep it even.
Choose a spot on the tread face or the outside edge of the tire, which-ever is easiest on your tires and your truck. As long as you use the exact same spots each time, you'll be fine.
IF you measure 50" on the front, you want 50 1/8" at the rear of the front tires. A 1/8" difference, whatever your measurements are.

toe-measure-spots.jpg
I learned using one of these gauges, that I got from an ex-girlfriend's dad in the early '90s. He was sure to ask for it back after we broke up.
Jeep Gladiator Need Help! Track Bar Bushing Going Bad? 1634930982967

Jeep Gladiator Need Help! Track Bar Bushing Going Bad? 1634930935790

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I learned using one of these gauges, that I got from an ex-girlfriend's dad in the early '90s. He was sure to ask for it back after we broke up.

A laugh for you saying he he asked for it back, a like because - yeah, we learned on what some consider basic or primitive stuff - until I got into a shop with Bear, and then later, even more expensive stuff.
Luckily, my first father-in-law didn't ask for anything back after his daughter and I divorced. Not that he gave my thousands of dollars of stuff and many many things, but I still to this day use some of the things he gave me back then.

100% agree - wheels on the ground, as straight forward as possible (I use a string line as I'm OCD).
Because of what's called "toe out on turns" or "TooT" you want the wheels straight ahead when measuring toe because as you turn the wheels, the toe OUT is supposed to increase because the inside wheel takes a tighter circle so is turned tighter than the outside wheel on turns. They may be toe in to start with, but turning a few degrees changes that.

While taking the measurements off the wheels is indeed perfection, you can literally get right-on with your home brew stuff. The proof is in the fact that I set mine at home, then had the dealer check it - my alignment sheet image is posted here somewhere.
They said it was good, leave it alone.
Ha, it was good after I didn't leave it alone.
I set toe and centered the wheel on mine after the first steering box swap. It was good, right where it should be according to their alignment check.

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
Is this too much play in the track bar bushing? I am experiencing slight death wobble at highway speeds, all other suspension bushings seems solid. Only 10k miles on the steersmarts adjustable track bar.

That looks like too small a bolt on the track bar or REALLY bad bushings.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like too small a bolt on the track bar or REALLY bad bushings.
Bolt diameter/size would not matter if the clamping force was adequate to hold the bushing squeezed in place. The bolt only clamps it. Yes, you want the correct size bolt in place, but in theory, if it was clamped tight enough, it couldn't move even if the bolt was half of the diameter needed.
The bolt shank doesn't hold it, the bolt's clamping force does.
(of course a bolt too small likely could not be torqued tight enough to provide adequate clamping force...........)
Sponsored