First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ram 1500, 2019 wrangler JL US.
Occupation
Engineer
Hi everyone first post. Haven't joined the JT family yet but I have a 19 JLUS. Here is my dilemma. I currently have a 18 ram 1500 crew cab 4x4. I occasionally tow my TT about 31 ft overall 5800 dry closer to 6500 when towed. (Note I never put water in the tanks) from ohio to the beach thru the mountains. The ram has zero issues with the hemi but the gladiator doesn't off it. I know the tow max has the highest tow rating but I'm only interested in the ecodiesel. My question is anyone with the eco towed in this range? From what I have seen it seems the limited rating is due to cooling not capability. Also I'm not new to forums or life so please refrain from telling me it it's not legal or I'll exceed the layload or anything. Looking for actual experience. Depending on answers it may not happen.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
My eco is on order so I can tow a 28ft 5100lb camper. I am jumping in with both feet also.

OP
OP

Ohio5pt7

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Hoping it's capable. Love the gladiator. Granted it's not often it will tow we have a permanent site but I'd like the ability to. I have a 07 tahoe as a last resort but I'd rather take the top off and hit the road lol.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Diesel maxes out at 6500 lbs, but that's because of cooling AND the additional weight of the engine. The gas Max Tow has a rating of 7650 lbs with the automatic, which tells you what the basic vehicle is really capable of.

Back when tow ratings were dictated by marketing requirements, a lot of people got into the habit of de-rating the real maximum to 80% of the claim.

With the new testing requirements for tow rating, no manufacturer is going to fib about capability. If you know the trailer will stay within the 6500 lb max, I'd tow it.

OP
OP

Ohio5pt7

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
No one has any experience?