New to towing, never towed in my life. Need help

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
So I picked up my Jeep gladiator rubicon a little over a month ago and now I’m looking into purchasing a rev trailer to pull. What range should I look in for length and weight? Also is the trailer brake controller necessary and what else do I need?
Sponsored

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
So I picked up my Jeep gladiator rubicon a little over a month ago and now I’m looking into purchasing a rev trailer to pull. What range should I look in for length and weight? Also is the trailer brake controller necessary and what else do I need?
You will get all kinds of opinions on this.
Assuming you have tow package and a automatic transmission, then your tow capacity is 7000 pounds. There are other specifications to look at outside of tow capacity, such as GVWR, payload capacity, and GCVWR.

There are other threads here that talk about towing capacities also.

There are lots of other variables also (towing with full RV tanks or empty tanks, how much stuff will be in the RV, and how many people/stuff will be in the Gladiator), but a good start would be to not exceed a RV dry weight of 5000 pounds.

In my opinion, when using a jeep gladiator to tow a RV (a RV with a loaded weight of 3000 pounds or more), a brake controller is a must, and a weight distribution hitch is a must.

Shawn

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I have to agree with @sroberts1519 . There are a lot factors to consider. Just because it says it can tow 7000lbs, assuming you have the tow package, doesn't mean you should get a trailer that's 7000 lbs. And that's with a stock vehicle set-up.

Once you start adding lifts and larger tires, your towing capacity goes down. And then you have to consider all the gear in your trailer and in your truck, including people. Doesn't mean people haven't maxed or overloaded their towing capacity and survived, just means your risk of something going wrong gets a lot higher.

I should also add that a brake controller is mandatory in many states with trailers over 2000-3000lbs.

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)
Here is an excellent resource for everything towing. It will help you understand the terminology and each element that others reference in their comments to help you evaluate all factors of safe weight and safe towing. Trailer weight is ONLY ONE factor to consider.

https://www.curtmfg.com/understanding-towing

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Thank you all. I do have the tow package and automatic. Also have the mopar 2 inch lift and 35s. I’ve been looking at rv’s 18-20 inch and 3500 to 4500 lbs. I’m guessing something closer to 3500 would be the best bet then.

Sponsored

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
3 must-haves from my past experience. All worth the $$$.

1. electric tongue jack on the trailer
2. Blue Ox weight distribution hitch
3. Andersen leveling ramps

Trust me. Worth the $$$

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Here is what I tow and I chose the Max Tow option:
Jeep Gladiator New to towing, never towed in my life. Need help JTScamp1.JPG

Here is the Cat Scale readout with truck loaded for camping:
Jeep Gladiator New to towing, never towed in my life. Need help CatScale

First half shows the total weight 7560# The second part shows the truck disconnected weighing
5360# So the trailer weighs 2200# and the tongue weight of 240# is included on the truck weight of 5360#.
It's a fiberglass Scamp 16' trailer. No WDH needed, it has electric brakes, crapper, fridge, hot water heater. EZ to hook up and go. I get 18+ MPH on flat. It is good for just the two of us. It's not an off road trailer.
Look at the GEO Pro trailers, they look like a good camper and they come in different sizes.
Sponsored