Sponsored

Towed my camper today

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
I have the overland, which does not have the max tow package. That said, I think it’s good up to 6k lbs, which is fine for my small camper.

That said, I was pretty disappointed in the lack of power. My old Grand Cherokee did a better job pulling my camper. There is not a ton of power....

Also, I realized that they don’t have trailer brakes built into the tow packages, which is a major bummer too.

But what engine was in the Grand Cherokee? Guessing something stronger than a peashooter 3.6L V6.
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
What do you all think about towing a camper with a max weight of 3500? I think even loaded up it will be less. Probably 2500-3000. Also, thinking of getting a manual if that matters.

jeeprscreeprs

First Name
brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 cherokee
I think that the 3.6 Pentastar was adapted to the JT just for its release. I expect that it will be swiftly replaced by the diesel option and upcoming inline 6 jeep is making. I suspect both of these future engines will offer a more satisfying towing experience for the gladiator.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
I would love a diesel too, but since I saw more than one report of some of the bearings in the engine exploding at 150k miles and causing significant engine damage. Yea that's a hard pass for me. Besides diesel usually costs way more and is less available at gas stations in addition to the headaches that is the new emissions control systems. For roughly the same cost as buying the diesel upgrade I can put a stage 2 prodigy turbo on the pentastar, get slightly less fuel economy than the diesel which wont matter since the fuel is cheaper, but have almost double the horsepower of the diesel and just slightly less torque.
Per what I've read the towing capacity of the diesel Gladiator will be less than the base gas engine, anyway. Which makes no sense to me, but evidently due to cooling issues.

z06surfer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
I would love a diesel too, but since I saw more than one report of some of the bearings in the engine exploding at 150k miles and causing significant engine damage. Yea that's a hard pass for me. Besides diesel usually costs way more and is less available at gas stations in addition to the headaches that is the new emissions control systems. For roughly the same cost as buying the diesel upgrade I can put a stage 2 prodigy turbo on the pentastar, get slightly less fuel economy than the diesel which wont matter since the fuel is cheaper, but have almost double the horsepower of the diesel and just slightly less torque.
I had the def sensor in my Diesel GC go bad after 48,000 miles. The sensor is built into the tank so it was literally over 3k to fix, for a GD fluid level sensor. Not doing Diesel ever again. What savings you build up in mpg and other engine parts you will spend on these complicated emissions parts.

Sponsored

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your thoughts on what a stage 2 prodigy turbo will do to the Gladiator towing capacity and fuel economy?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think that the 3.6 Pentastar was adapted to the JT just for its release. I expect that it will be swiftly replaced by the diesel option and upcoming inline 6 jeep is making. I suspect both of these future engines will offer a more satisfying towing experience for the gladiator.
fingers crossed......for me and my gator anyway.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I read it is the cooling that is a big factor. That and the engine is good for a wrangler sized vehicle, not for anything bigger. Lumbering, potentially hot, but does the job on and off road towing.

Sponsored

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
What are your thoughts on what a stage 2 prodigy turbo will do to the Gladiator towing capacity and fuel economy?
If it provides an 8 psi boost at 4k+ rpms, I would expect the same performance as it is on the JL. Mid 300s for torque, and high 300s for hp. Fuel economy wise, I dont think it will do quite as well as a JL since the truck is heavier. So I would suspect like maybe 23 or 24 hwy, 19 city and like 21 combined if you are gentle on the throttle. Maybe a little better since my JK gets 20 city right now (though it's a manual and I boarderline hyper mile the jeep).

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it provides an 8 psi boost at 4k+ rpms, I would expect the same performance as it is on the JL. Mid 300s for torque, and high 300s for hp. Fuel economy wise, I dont think it will do quite as well as a JL since the truck is heavier. So I would suspect like maybe 23 or 24 hwy, 19 city and like 21 combined if you are gentle on the throttle. Maybe a little better since my JK gets 20 city right now (though it's a manual and I boarderline hyper mile the jeep).
It would be interesting to see an actual real world test on towing capacity and fuel economy with a stage 2 prodigy on a Gladiator.

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
A lot of people are going to be disappointed and blame FCA when their trucks are breaking down left and right <100k because they regularly load the whole family and their luggage, towing trailers just a couple hundred under capacity.

Jeep guys in 2019 are proving themselves to not be accustomed to hauling/towing.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m having a hard time reading all this whining about what the Gladiator can’t do...

Realistically, if you regularly tow over 5000 pounds a mid size truck, any mid size truck, is not your best bet. Many half tons will struggle with 7000 pounds behind them. The fact of the matter is that 90% of mid size truck owners will never tow anything and the majority of those who do tow will tow nothing more than an 18-20 ft. boat which will gross about 4000 pounds and the Gladiator will do just fine.

The Gladiator, like any complex vehicle, is a series of compromises and I think the Gladiator is the best “compromise” in the mid size market. If you don’t believe it go to the Taco or Colorado forum and complain there about their inability to do what the Gladiator can do...

Rant over!
Sponsored