Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dropping the hitch ball was to try to increase the effective tongue weight,
With many dual axle trailers - depending on their suspension design, dropping the hitch down decreases tongue weight.
Raising the front of the trailer would increase tongue weight as it takes weight off the front axle of the trailer and puts it on the tow vehicle.
It's the opposite with a single axle trailer - dropping the hitch on a single axle moves more effective weight forward.

Think of it this way - trailer level, both axles carry the same weight (in the most simplistic view)
Raise the front of the trailer, you lift the front axle weight off and transfer the weight of the trailer to the truck.
You should always tow with a twin axle trailer as close to perfectly level as you can.
I tow 5,000 pounds with 500 pound tongue weight when my trailer is totally level - as measured with an actual 8' level.

It's going to depend on the type of suspension under the trailer, of course!

Here's the results of his testing - real world stuff -

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
With many dual axle trailers - depending on their suspension design, dropping the hitch down decreases tongue weight.
Raising the front of the trailer would increase tongue weight as it takes weight off the front axle of the trailer and puts it on the tow vehicle.
It's the opposite with a single axle trailer - dropping the hitch on a single axle moves more effective weight forward.

Think of it this way - trailer level, both axles carry the same weight (in the most simplistic view)
Raise the front of the trailer, you lift the front axle weight off and transfer the weight of the trailer to the truck.
You should always tow with a twin axle trailer as close to perfectly level as you can.
I tow 5,000 pounds with 500 pound tongue weight when my trailer is totally level - as measured with an actual 8' level.

It's going to depend on the type of suspension under the trailer, of course!

Here's the results of his testing - real world stuff -

That's exactly what the dude a Blue Compass said and what he achieved with mine once he was done.

hepcat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Interesting update: Yesterday, under the threat of hail I moved the Airstream to our storage barn, a few miles away. I raised the Blue Ox hitch head "two holes'" worth and adjusted the weight distribution appropriately, and the trailer was significantly better behaved. I'm going to continue with my plan to install the ProPride, but I thought the result was worth reporting. Thanks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting update: Yesterday, under the threat of hail I moved the Airstream to our storage barn, a few miles away. I raised the Blue Ox hitch head "two holes'" worth and adjusted the weight distribution appropriately, and the trailer was significantly better behaved. I'm going to continue with my plan to install the ProPride, but I thought the result was worth reporting. Thanks.
You likely had earlier taken hitch weight off when lowering the tow ball. Raising it you possibly leveled and put weight back on like it should be.
Sponsored