Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
and a hole in your wallet?
I have so many holes in my wallet it looks like a colander, kids, spouse, pets, toys, you know...life.
Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I towed three hay bales on a bumper pull trailer with my wife's Silverado 5.3 with 10 more horsepower than this engine but probably a decent amount more torque because of larger displacement and every overpass dropped two gears and the engine screamed. It was miserable. I have an F-350 with a 7.3 for Towing but not enough room for family. I don't expect to be doing much towing at all of this thing.

The answer is torque, and V6 N/A engines aren't known for it.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I didn't enjoy towing 5k lbs in my 2017 super crew f150. Off the top of my head, I don't think I'd tow more than 2500-3k with the gladiator. Just not made for it.

Brandon W. Snyder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be: Gladiator Launch Edition, Rubicon Recon, 02 Wrangler
Occupation
Law Enforcement (Deputy) Veteran
And you bring up another good point too. When towing AT MAX CAPACITY there is not a single vehicle on the market that doesn't struggle. Hook 11,000 lbs. behind a Ram 1500 Hemi and see what happens. Put 25,000 lbs. behind a Ram 2500 Cummins and see how slow it gets. There's nothing on the market that is going to tow "effortlessly" when at maximum capacity.

So, I think that the real problem here is that users have unrealistic expectations.

If you want to tow 6,500 lbs. without breaking a sweat, then you need a truck whereby 6,500 lbs. would only represent a fraction of it's maximum capacity, and the Gladiator in any form ain't it.
I completely agree with you. More or less what I was trying to articulate, you just did it better!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I didn't enjoy towing 5k lbs in my 2017 super crew f150. Off the top of my head, I don't think I'd tow more than 2500-3k with the gladiator. Just not made for it.
depends on how far you're going and how often.

Sponsored

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I tow my boat+trailer combination which weighs ~5k lbs all the time with the 2015 F150 and it makes light work of it. I do trips over 100 miles all the time without thinking about it. I'm a bit surprised to hear someone has trouble towing 5k with a new F150. I get 14mpg pulling my boat at 70 mph.

This is my major downfall with the Gladiator. I want the Gladiator but am skeptical about its ability to pull my boat. While it probably CAN do it, the question is how comfortable is it and how much extra work would I be putting on the motor. I wish they would have put a more powerful motor in the Gladiator....and no the diesel is not an option for me. Initial capital cost of the diesel is higher, maintenance is more, fuel costs more and the complexity due to the EPA junk is what causes failures/problems. You have to drive one of these things for 100k+ miles to likely even approach buy back.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I have the overland, which does not have the max tow package. That said, I think itā€™s good up to 6k lbs, which is fine for my small camper.

That said, I was pretty disappointed in the lack of power. My old Grand Cherokee did a better job pulling my camper. There is not a ton of power....

Also, I realized that they donā€™t have trailer brakes built into the tow packages, which is a major bummer too.
Well, someone's come out and agrees with my assessment - of course I was using my 2016 G.C. (power to weight ratio compared to "projected" JT's - which as it turns out is Heavier & Less wind resistant !

I have not test driven the JT yet because I'm waiting (anyway) for the Sport S version, and in no hurry - probably wait for the Sophomore edition and hope it doesn't get the Sophomore jinx (sports !) . Perhaps, as it's been suggested on some of the Many video's, the Brake Controller issue will probably be a Non-Issue in year #2 ! (?) . [< just for charlie's amusement ]

ps; side note to Stephen707 - have you seen the NEW SavageGeese video - on YOUR PHEV Pacifica - mostly hilarious with dry humor and real world insight thrown in for good measure ! Wish he'd sit in the rear of the ACTUAL vehicle, instead of that Volvo all the time . . . or wear that Maserati hat . . . stick with his own branded hat !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I think that is why I am seeing a lot of talk about aftermarket turbo or sc. I know I am heavily considering that prodigy stage 2 since I have seen reports of up to 400hp high in the rpm, torque in the mid to high 300s mid rpm, and mpg avg of 25 for cruising on JLUs.
Jeep just screwed up with the hp thing IMO - should of tuned the 3.6 From the Beginning with the G.C.'s 295 hp OR the RAM DT's 305 hp . Then it'd be fully warranted from the factory . That Extra 400+ pounds and the BrickHouse Front end is no MPG Friend . I know, I know I keep mentioning it - Not on purpose (?) but you guys keep suggesting the response due to the Postings - it's all your fault ? :LOL:

Sponsored

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The 3.6 has plenty of power to tow. You guys are just used to a V8 with low end torque not screaming like this 3.6 does to tow because itā€™s power is up higher in the rpm band. Itā€™s normal and itā€™s not going to break the engine. Get used to it but itā€™s got enough grunt. Of course we always want more power from anything.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I think that is why I am seeing a lot of talk about aftermarket turbo or sc. I know I am heavily considering that prodigy stage 2 since I have seen reports of up to 400hp high in the rpm, torque in the mid to high 300s mid rpm, and mpg avg of 25 for cruising on JLUs.
I have been eyeballing that kit also. But think I want the diesel more

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I have the overland, which does not have the max tow package. That said, I think itā€™s good up to 6k lbs, which is fine for my small camper.

That said, I was pretty disappointed in the lack of power. My old Grand Cherokee did a better job pulling my camper. There is not a ton of power....

Also, I realized that they donā€™t have trailer brakes built into the tow packages, which is a major bummer too.
THIS THREAD USELESS WITHOUT PICS :) :) :)

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator

Gshaw34

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

How much does your trailer weight. I have a kz spree escape it is just under 3k dry. I am hoping mine does ok for my 80 mile trips to the camp ground down the NJ turnpike.
Sponsored