Sponsored

Newbie: Are the gladiator steel overland running boards acceptable?

rmtn03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Probably a dumb question but want to ask those more experienced: Are the Overland steel running tubes acceptable as rock sliders? They seem really sturdy to me, I like the way they look, and honestly my bank is sobbing from all the Jeep things I've been buying (new jeeper and f*cking love it).
Sponsored

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
Do you meant those stock running boards in your picture on that Overland? If so, the answer is no. They would get destroyed on rocks not to mention the way they are mounted you would trash your pinch seams. Now, could you get into some rocks and have fun? Sure, but don’t expect to land or drag those running boards on rocks and have them survive. When your Jeep slips off one rock and lands on another, that is a lot of force. Dragging them across a rock would not only damage them but could rip them off as well in a very extreme situation.

The bottom line is if you want to rock crawl you need real rock sliders.

Calidiver777

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Do you meant those stock running boards in your picture on that Overland? If so, the answer is no. They would get destroyed on rocks not to mention the way they are mounted you would trash your pinch seams. Now, could you get into some rocks and have fun? Sure, but don’t expect to land or drag those running boards on rocks and have them survive. When your Jeep slips off one rock and lands on another, that is a lot of force. Dragging them across a rock would not only damage them but could rip them off as well in a very extreme situation.

The bottom line is if you want to rock crawl you need real rock sliders.
The stock running boards on the Overland are plastic. They wont last.

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Stock running board example...

309F15B8-0BF4-482C-B4DA-7B087B910403.jpeg

CB52491D-EF6E-4A11-AFF0-539F00C40233.png

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Agreed with all, they are entirely plastic. Great for getting into Jeep, but not for protection.

Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

Agreed with all, they are entirely plastic. Great for getting into Jeep, but not for protection.

Justst the like rear and front bumpers on the sports. I'd recommend anyone buying a sport or sport s to do a fully steel front and rear bumper. I got rear ended and the damage is way more then it would of been.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Yeah just the like rear and front bumper on the sports. I'd recommend anyone buying a sport or sport s to do a fully steel front and rear bumper. I got rear ended and the damage is way more then it would of been.
Unless you get the optional steel bumpers, this is true for all trim levels.

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
^oem steel isn’t that strong. I’ve had the 10a bumper on my jk and brushed off a rock slightly and it dented the endcaps. Sold that bumper and I went with PS ...my neighbor backed into my Jeep only scuffed off the powdercoat.

OP
OP
rmtn03

rmtn03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My running boards are aluminum, I think they are a dealer add-on. I'll get rock sliders thought, thanks for the info y'all!

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
My running boards are aluminum, I think they are a dealer add-on. I'll get rock sliders thought, thanks for the info y'all!
Mine are aluminum as well and they are factory as far as I can tell. They are on the build sheet and the window sticker. $250 option. Not dealer installed and definitely not plastic.
Sponsored