First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
retired
my new ARE topper finally came in but without clamps. ARE says they are back-ordered and they do not know when they will be here. I asked what kind of clamp will work. ARE acts like it is a special clamp made to fit the Gladiator? I looked at Youtube and it looks like a C clamp to me installed in each corner, ARE says if I do not use their clamp, the topper will not be covered by warranty, but they can"t get them. Is there some kind of special camp for the Gladiator?
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
i will sell you mine. I elected to drill and bolt my ARE cap down.

OP
OP

cmh

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
retired
I do not have the trail rail. Thought about drilling and bolting Too. How many bolts and size did you use on each side?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 flanged 10.9 bolts on each side, about 3/8 in size, large fender washers tops and bottom. I used the existing holes in the cap used in shipping. But my OCD drives me nuts cause ARE didn't make the holes symmetrical to each other, if i did it again I would drill new holes. Had to grind the sides off the fender washers for the bottom to fit flush underneath.

I would also remove the cap, drill the holes in the cap, put it back on, mark the holes on the bed, remove the cap and drill. Pay attention to how the under side of the bed rail is, I drilled through a lapped seam and lower fold distorted and I had to squish it flush again with a bolt, washer and nut.

Also look up fiberglass drill bits, they are pointier and don't chewy fiberglass up as bad as a chisel tip bit.

I asked the local ARE guy who has sold thousands of these things over the years and he thought 4 bolts would work fine.

These are basically what came with the cap
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CALHOME...llation-Set-of-8-Clamps-K-8pcs-3LBS/315807469

Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, these are the same style clamps Softopper uses for theirs and mine has been backordered for two months because of it. Whatever company makes these clamps is hurting a lot of other businesses by not getting them produced fast enough.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have mine, I should post them in the classified section for sale.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Is there a clamp system that mounts to the trail rail?

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
When bolting it to the bed a large size plate, top and bottom would be a good idea to spread out the pressure. Caps built but no way to mount it to the bed that doesn't void warranty, cool, is that a plan.
Sponsored