No Key - its it will still drive

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Interestingly, neither vehicle will let you use the outside touch/button lock if the key isn't close by. Putting the key on a table just 10' away prevents you from being able to use the exterior lock feature. The BMW knows if the key is inside the trunk, and won't latch the trunk.
There is an antenna in the right rear door, and one in the left rear door. Their job is to detect the fob outside of the vehicle. There are two antennas in the cab- under the center console, and on the rear wall. Their job is to detect the fob inside the vehicle. That’s also how fobik safe is possible. If you leave the fob inside the vehicle, the lock button on the inside door switch will be inoperable while the vehicle is running. If it’s not running, and you lock the doors with the inside switch, the doors will automatically unlock when the door is shut. The proximity lock button on the exterior handle is inoperable if the fob is in the vehicle.
Sponsored

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
It is possible to lock your key in the Jeep, I found out on my 2nd day of ownership.

I was showing it off at work and had different people checking it out. At one point I started it using the UConnect app, which automactically locks the doors. I shut the truck off using th app and went back into work. An our later, I went to show it to someone else and could not find my key on my desk. Figuring I left it in the truck I walk out and can't open the doors, and I can see the key in the center console, by the cup holders. I tried to use the Uconnect app to unlock the doors, nothing, I tried to start it with the app, nothing. The dash was also lit up and said Press Brake and push to start, but I could do was look at the damn thing.

I called the Uconnect hotline so they could unlock it, she said I had Sirius Guardian and she had to transfer me to another number, she hung up on me while transferring me. I ended up calling my girlfriend, so she could go to my house and bring me the spare, and then I was able to unlock it.

I will try this again to see if it will lock again with the key in it, but only when I know I have the spare on me.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I cannot duplicate this. One key inside the vehicle, another upstairs around 50' away (far enough it can't detect it for sure). Sent the lock command in the Guardian app three times. Every time, the app says "received" but the Jeep did nothing. Stayed unlocked.

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I rememebered I had both keys with me today, so I tried it again. With the spare key in the center console I tried to start it using the app. The first couple of times I got the same thing, "Request Recieved" but didn't start. After a couple of attempts, the horn beeped, doors locked and it started with the key inside. I was standing about 3 parking spots away with the other key in my pocket. After it started I used the app to cancel the start request, and it shut down.

After I canceled the request, the doors were still locked, and I was able to use the app to unlock it this time. It wouldn't unlock using the app the 2nd day I owned it.

It seems the app is a little finicky.
Sponsored