Sponsored

Not seeing any overland pictures

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
all you have to do is look at my attached window sticker to see why this is a High Altitude Overland ...
2021 MODEL YEAR
JEEP GLADIATOR HIGH ALTITUDE 4X4
THIS VEHICLE IS MANUFACTURED TO MEET SPECIFIC UNITED STATES REQUIREMENTS. THIS
VEHICLE IS NOT MANUFACTURED FOR SALE OR REGISTRATION OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.
MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE OF
THIS MODEL INCLUDING DEALER PREPARATION
Base Price: $40,890
JEEP GLADIATOR OVERLAND 4X4
Exterior Color: Granite Crystal Metallic Clear–Coat Exterior Paint
I get your point, but I'm still not seeing why this seems to be a thing with HA owners to say they have a "High Altitude Overland". Yes I see they took an Overland trim and added the HA trim to it or "Customer Preferred Package 24N" per the window sticker, but the same is true with all of these special trims as well and I'm not seeing folks referring to these as "Freedom Sport", "80th Anniversary Sport", or "Texas Trail Sport". Yet just like the HA window sticker they all are built on an another trim (sport for these).

Caveat: there is a Willys trim and a Willys Sport trim(both built on sport).

And for what it's worth I'm not particularly singling you out, I've seen a handful of HA owners say the same. I'm just genuinely curious why this is. Did the dealer call it that? advertising? The Illuminati?
Sponsored

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I get your point, but I'm still not seeing why this seems to be a thing with HA owners to say they have a "High Altitude Overland". Yes I see they took an Overland trim and added the HA trim to it or "Customer Preferred Package 24N" per the window sticker, but the same is true with all of these special trims as well and I'm not seeing folks referring to these as "Freedom Sport", "80th Anniversary Sport", or "Texas Trail Sport". Yet just like the HA window sticker they all are built on an another trim (sport for these).

Caveat: there is a Willys trim and a Willys Sport trim(both built on sport).

And for what it's worth I'm not particularly singling you out, I've seen a handful of HA owners say the same. I'm just genuinely curious why this is. Did the dealer call it that? advertising? The Illuminati?
Here ya go - when they are LISTED as such, the DEALERS call them that, and a Google search shows dozens and dozens of pictures "results for Overland High Altitude" then what's expected?
It's an Overland with wide axles and appearance items - makes sense.

When you BUY an Overland High Altitude Jeep from the dealer, what else will you call it? It says "Overland" on the window sticker - it's an Overland, eh? So - the dealerships got that from somewhere - perhaps their marketing materials? Why do dozens of dealerships call it that?

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-6

OBVIOUSLY from their ads this dealership uses "stock photos" of all of their trucks - even all of their RAM trucks look the same and are the same color ->

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-5

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-4

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-3

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-2

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures ha-1

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I would expect the HA to be higher priced because of the painted bumpers, door handles, etc. so I assume if a person didn't care about or want those, the Overland with options would be the cheaper way to go.
Building an identical equipped Overland to a base High Altitude on the Jeep site:
The Overland is $51470
The High Altitude is $51485

So the Overland is $15 less.
Assuming you want what the HA has you don't get all the painted parts, Special interior, Wider Axels, sport tuned shocks, 20" wheels and wider/lower profile tires

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Building an identical equipped Overland to a base High Altitude on the Jeep site:
The Overland is $51470
The High Altitude s $51485

So the Overland is $15 less.
Assuming you want what the HA has you don't get all the painted parts, Special interior, Wider Axels, sport tuned shocks, 20" wheels and wider/lower profile tires
That also makes sense - we did a lot of comparing when my wife decided 2.5 years was trade time for her Grand Cherokee.
We found the level she wanted was CHEAPER to buy than to take another level and add the options.
It's cheaper to buy a package in many cases than take another level and add the options you want.
That's sort of why I say if the HA had been around in 2019, I might have it because it's about the same price but has wider axles (I don't care about the painted bumpers and door handles)
My wife's current WK2 was cheaper than any other Jeep we built with the same options and it's loaded - because it came loaded. I think there were only 2 other packages you could add to it.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go - when they are LISTED as such, the DEALERS call them that, and a Google search shows dozens and dozens of pictures "results for Overland High Altitude" then what's expected?
It's an Overland with wide axles and appearance items - makes sense.

When you BUY an Overland High Altitude Jeep from the dealer, what else will you call it? It says "Overland" on the window sticker - it's an Overland, eh? So - the dealerships got that from somewhere - perhaps their marketing materials? Why do dozens of dealerships call it that?

OBVIOUSLY from their ads this dealership uses "stock photos" of all of their trucks - even all of their RAM trucks look the same and are the same color ->

Weird, it doesn't seem to be how they are advertised here though. I just bought my JTO in June, before that I spent a while searching the inventory at all the local Jeep dealerships (we have a lot of them in the Austin, TX area) and never came across them being referred to as an Overland until I joined this forum. So I was surprised the first few times I'd seen it. Now doing some more research yes, I see YouTube videos, etc. In truth I was never really looking at HAs as an option.

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures 1628003074161

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures 1628003342691

I have no doubts there are multiple sources out there calling them "Overland", but still my question is why? It's marketed as a different trim all together. If you went out of your way to buy the most luxurious trim, why not let everyone know and just say High Altitude? The name High Altitude even evokes images of being above everything else. What value does adding the name Overland add? Why is this nomenclature apparently unique to the HA and none of the other specialty trims? As I shared earlier all of the specialty trims show on their window stickers that they are also built upon another trim, a sport, so why are they not referred the same by the dealers?

I guess I simply just don't get the logic. Usually when you buy a high trim level in any vehicle you want others to know (especially the dealerships). The King Ranch on the F150s is basically a Lariat with different leather and some badging. The High Country on the Silverado is an LTZ with the same treatment. If you tell that to those folks though, they of course are quick to point out they paid a much higher price tag. So why not just drop the Overland and proudly say HIGH ALTITUDE?

For consideration, when I bought my previous LTZ Silverado in '15, I got an outstanding deal on it. MSRP was $50k and I paid $36k before trade in. ( I just traded it in for the JTO for $32k, crazy) The salesman explained they had a hard time selling them as they were too much money for those looking to buy an LT trim(middle of the road trim), but only a few thousand under the highest trim of High Country. So buyers either splurged the extra money to get the highest trim badging or saved some money by buying an LT with less features, but still not a base truck. So those now mid-high trim trucks just sat in their inventory until they discounted them.

If it wasn't for the current car market I imagine we would be seeing something similar with the the JTOs. The problem like I stated, is for the folks who have the cash and want the highest trim, they will immediately buy the HA or a fully decked out Rubi/Mojave. This leaves a lot of other trims in the middle area for buyers to buy for less money than a decked out JTO. That's why I don't see the point including "Overland" on the name to HAs. In essence you're devaluing it. Will they advertise as such when it comes time to sell?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Weird, it doesn't seem to be how they are advertised here though. I just bought my JTO in June, before that I spent a while searching the inventory at all the local Jeep dealerships (we have a lot of them in the Austin, TX area) and never came across them being referred to as an Overland until I joined this forum. So I was surprised the first few times I'd seen it. Now doing some more research yes, I see YouTube videos, etc. In truth I was never really looking at HAs as an option.

I have no doubts there are multiple sources out there calling them "Overland", but still my question is why? It's marketed as a different trim all together. If you went out of your way to buy the most luxurious trim, why not let everyone know and just say High Altitude? The name High Altitude even evokes images of being above everything else. What value does adding the name Overland add? Why is this nomenclature apparently unique to the HA and none of the other specialty trims? As I shared earlier all of the specialty trims show on their window stickers that they are also built upon another trim, a sport, so why are they not referred the same by the dealers?

I guess I simply just don't get the logic. Usually when you buy a high trim level in any vehicle you want others to know (especially the dealerships). The King Ranch on the F150s is basically a Lariat with different leather and some badging. The High Country on the Silverado is an LTZ with the same treatment. If you tell that to those folks though, they of course are quick to point out they paid a much higher price tag. So why not just drop the Overland and proudly say HIGH ALTITUDE?

For consideration, when I bought my previous LTZ Silverado in '15, I got an outstanding deal on it. MSRP was $50k and I paid $36k before trade in. ( I just traded it in for the JTO for $32k, crazy) The salesman explained they had a hard time selling them as they were too much money for those looking to buy an LT trim(middle of the road trim), but only a few thousand under the highest trim of High Country. So buyers either splurged the extra money to get the highest trim badging or saved some money by buying an LT with less features, but still not a base truck. So those now mid-high trim trucks just sat in their inventory until they discounted them.

If it wasn't for the current car market I imagine we would be seeing something similar with the the JTOs. The problem like I stated, is for the folks who have the cash and want the highest trim, they will immediately buy the HA or a fully decked out Rubi/Mojave. This leaves a lot of other trims in the middle area for buyers to buy for less money than a decked out JTO. That's why I don't see the point including "Overland" on the name to HAs. In essence you're devaluing it. Will they advertise as such when it comes time to sell?
Like I said - I see them advertised as Overland HA - and it's dealers saying that - but where THEY got it is a mystery. Some simply call it HA - which I agree, evokes the senses that it's a notch up, better, not just a "package on the Overland base".
I get it - but also get why some people are calling them that - because Google agrees, dealers advertise or list them that way.
And THAT begs the question - why? Was it in some training material? Marketing? Classes? Sales people can opt to go to classes on these things. I spoke at length with a dealer sales guy, the top dog sales person at a big dealership here - and he went to all the top classes (on his time and his dime apparently) and could it be that to help explain the HA - the training says "it's based on the fully loaded Overland with these added features" ???
GOOD QUESTIONS.

It's easy to see why the common person calls them that or refers to them that way - dealers do, or SOME do - but why do some dealers do that?
It had to come from somewhere - you don't just make that stuff up.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Like I said - I see them advertised as Overland HA - and it's dealers saying that - but where THEY got it is a mystery. Some simply call it HA - which I agree, evokes the senses that it's a notch up, better, not just a "package on the Overland base".
I get it - but also get why some people are calling them that - because Google agrees, dealers advertise or list them that way.
And THAT begs the question - why? Was it in some training material? Marketing? Classes? Sales people can opt to go to classes on these things. I spoke at length with a dealer sales guy, the top dog sales person at a big dealership here - and he went to all the top classes (on his time and his dime apparently) and could it be that to help explain the HA - the training says "it's based on the fully loaded Overland with these added features" ???
GOOD QUESTIONS.

It's easy to see why the common person calls them that or refers to them that way - dealers do, or SOME do - but why do some dealers do that?
It had to come from somewhere - you don't just make that stuff up.
It says it on the window stickers. High Altitude is a package on the base Overland (24N) not a "loaded" one.
Just like the Sport S, 80th, Willys, Freedom, are all packages on the base Sport.

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures HA sticker

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It says it on the window stickers. High Altitude is a package on the base Overland (24N) not a "loaded" one.
Same thing in the end - same results.

Easier to use the base to start with for their records and accounting methods, but the end result, the same.
Same features that mine has - compare the HA to mine and you'll see mostly appearance items being the difference (save for the wider axles)

But to tell people it's a base Overland implies that there must be bigger differences or that you can't get that stuff with Overland - you can (save for appearance items and axles).

Mine has everything the HA has other than axles and appearance items (and the wheels are more for appearance because people equate tall wheels, skinny tires, with luxury and sport)

Their use of the base Overland as a starting point is tracking and accounting. That dates back decades.

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
guess i do not understand what the point you are trying to make is ... here is the factory "build sheet" for my Overland .. open it and read the heading

Attachments

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like the Sport S, 80th, Willys, Freedom, are all packages on the base Sport.

Jeep Gladiator Not seeing any overland pictures HA sticker
This was really my point. If it's just as simple that the HA is built upon the Overland trim than why is this same nomenclature not also used on those other trims built upon the Sport? Just seems odd that owners and dealerships would do that.
guess i do not understand what the point you are trying to make is ... here is the factory "build sheet" for my Overland .. open it and read the heading
I appreciate the build sheet and the window sticker, I can see your point on how you came about your Jeep being an Overland High Altitude. I'm also by no means trying to insinuate that there is anything negative with owning a High Altitude. This is most likely a personal peeve, I have plenty of them BTW. It's obvious Jeep views the HA as a package built on top of the Overland. I don't have any issues with that, I just find it odd that it's advertised as a separate trim by Jeep themselves no different than the other trims that are built on the Sport. Yet it doesn't appear they are referred by their owners or dealerships as being "Sport Freedom" or "Sport Texas Trail" editions. Everywhere seems to leave the sport off other than the window sticker and I assume the build sheet. So it's intriguing that the HA gets a different treatment for some reason. That is what I am curious to, not to whether or not it was built on top of the Overland trim as it's base.

So if the argument is that the HA is just an Overland with a HA package, than why remove the Overland badging? The HA package supersedes many Overland features. There is no Overland tag on the tailgate. The Overland interior is replaced with a different color stitching and seats. The painted bumpers, fenders, mirrors, and handles are unique to the HA, as are the wheels. I'm just curious why a visually different package would still be referred to the platform it was built on top of. This seems kind of odd to me in the car world. Usually if an optional package is chosen and supersedes the previous package, the base package is usually not identified. I just don't know if I have ever seen this before.

What makes it even more confusing is why the Overland itself doesn't show it's built on the Sport platform. There is really nothing different on the Overland from the Sport other than cosmetic or electronic options. I can get the argument why Rubicon or Mojave would not be "built" off of a Sport. There is enough different mechanically to be different.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What makes it even more confusing is why the Overland itself doesn't show it's built on the Sport platform. There is really nothing different on the Overland from the Sport other than cosmetic or electronic options. I can get the argument why Rubicon or Mojave would not be "built" off of a Sport. There is enough different mechanically to be different.
So you are saying only the cosmetic or electronic options are different from a sport?
Wheels, tires, springs, shocks............(and cosmetic things)
What's different on the NA - wheels, tires, springs, shocks axles (and cosmetic things) I'd bet the seats are the same, just different covers. The dash looks the same other than color/stitching (or is the top of the dash actually different?)

Seriously, isn't the Rubicon built on the Sport S max tow with added lockers and sway bar disconnects?

Bottom line - it's marketing. It's accounting.

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
What value does adding the name Overland add? Why is this nomenclature apparently unique to the HA and none of the other specialty trims? As I shared earlier all of the specialty trims show on their window stickers that they are also built upon another trim, a sport, so why are they not referred the same by the dealers?
i asked my Alexis those very questions and the dam thing will NOT shut up ... go figure

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase