Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
What’s the test to confirm that it’s diff fluid vs. some other fluid? If wiped on a paper towel, it looks dark like diff fluid, not red, green, nor orange; yet no distinct smell. No visible wetness anywhere higher than the mud flinger.
For that. Location. It's coming out of the axle tube.
Sponsored

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Got it back from the dealership. They said that both front axle seals were leaking, and they changed out both sides, all under warranty. I'm really happy to have them both replaced at the same time, and really happy that they took a look at both sides. They even claimed that they had to order a second set of seals b/c the first set that was delivered came with one defective.

That said, when picking up the JTM, I immediately noticed loose steering, and brought it back to the dealership w/in 10min; told them that it was scary on the highway, and told them to take it on a test drive on the outer road. They did, and gave it back, stating "no issue found". After driving 30min on interstate/hwy, with terrible ability to control my direction, I pulled off into a gas station, and there I found the issue. They had partially removed the front track bar to take off the front diff, but never re-tightened the track bar bolt, putting me in a deadly situation. For anyone that doesn't know, the track bar on a factory JT is a major component in isolating the left/right movement of your front axle when force is induced by steering or road-feedback. Luckily no one was injured. The dealership did have a guy call me, and try to make it right, so kudos for them for that, but I can't personally find it in myself to trust them going forward.

Please let this serve as a public service announcement, for anyone having work done on their front suspension components. If you feel loose steering after having work done, and the shop can't find any issues, please don't drive it. Just pull over, get a ride to go get some tools and start checking bolts, it's not worth someone's life. Once in a safe place, should you find anything, you can torque to spec.

558F2E8C-2DDC-4ABD-B0E9-BCA0C124F988.jpeg