Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
KG5LXN de N6WT

I'm surprised you did not remote mount the radio with just the head unit mounted to the panel? That is way to much over my head. I would be very afraid, in a rollover, that I would be hitting my head.

That looks like a Yaesu 857D? I see you have an LDG antenna tuner? Did you not buy the Yaesu ATAS-120a antenna? What are you using for an antenna??

Just curious, I'm looking to buy that radio next month for the JT. It has been discontinued by Yaesu.
It is an FT857D. The radio is controlled through two apps on my Nexus 7 tablet. Instead of writing it all out, please let me refer you to a studio chat I made and attached to one of the parts of my TransAmerica Trail videos on comm gear (each of the ten parts covers a different subject, this one being about comm gear). Not mentioned in that video is I have a friend who found the ATS-120 to be unsuitable for a Jeep, and read a few similar reviews. Right now, the HF is used only when camped. I have a Buddipole I can use with it, but haven't really used HF much. Here's the link to the video. 12:19 if not forwarded automatically ...

Sponsored

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
It is an FT857D. The radio is controlled through two apps on my Nexus 7 tablet. Instead of writing it all out, please let me refer you to a studio chat I made and attached to one of the parts of my TransAmerica Trail videos on comm gear (each of the ten parts covers a different subject, this one being about comm gear). Not mentioned in that video is I have a friend who found the ATS-120 to be unsuitable for a Jeep, and read a few similar reviews. Right now, the HF is used only when camped. I have a Buddipole I can use with it, but haven't really used HF much. Here's the link to the video. 12:19 if not forwarded automatically ...
Mark

You are missing out on HF. Talking to people in other countries is great fun and kind of addictive!

I'm having a great time doing SOTA (summits on the air). I'm setting up my JT to get me to some of the mountain tops for this.

59350705_10216241828571868_5518318365816389632_o.jpg

68757156_10217039333708998_7801328332452134912_o.jpg

69626182_10217039335629046_2081892453643714560_o.jpg

78957588_10217987498612528_3211349628494544896_o.jpg

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Mark

You are missing out on HF. Talking to people in other countries is great fun and kind of addictive!

I'm having a great time doing SOTA (summits on the air). I'm setting up my JT to get me to some of the mountain tops for this.

I know. There's just so much to do when I travel because of the photography for my YouTube channel. Hours of work each evening, so not really much time to talk on the radio, and then just want to relax and enjoy time spent with the folks with whom I'm traveling. But, who knows, maybe one of these days I'll get back into it (I was a somewhat active Technician Class way back in the 60s and 70s--WB6MPD).

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
20191223_190224.jpg

Today received my Molle Platform Solutions center overhead molle and installed it this evening.

Mine should be here any day now :like:

How do you like the headliner? Really debating pulling the trigger on a set, but not sure if it really does all they sound, or if it's just placebo.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
20191223_190224.jpg

Today received my Molle Platform Solutions center overhead molle and installed it this evening.
Did you have to drill any holes, or does the Molle rack use existing bolt locations?
Cheers

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Mine should be here any day now :like:

How do you like the headliner? Really debating pulling the trigger on a set, but not sure if it really does all they sound, or if it's just placebo.
It's Hothead Headliner. I like it better than the OEM Mopar headliner I hand in my past JL. Yes I would purchase again. It does make it a bit quieter, but I like it best for summer heat insulation.

Last edited:

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Did you have to drill any holes, or does the Molle rack use existing bolt locations?
Cheers
Yes, and had to loosen the hardtop bolts and pivot it up a few inches over the sound bar to drill/fasten the back screws.

See this video on how how I did it.

Here are the install instructions for the JL from their website, works the same with a JT except just pivot the hard top above the sound bar as in the video.

JL JEEP OVERHEAD
MOLLE PANELS

1. “HARD TOPS”- Remove front freedom top panels,
unbolt the rest of the hard top and slide it back
about a foot.

“SOFT TOPS”- Flip the soft top back allowing you to
access the top of your roll cage.

2. “HARD TOPS”- Take note of the height location of
your front two latch tabs above the rear view
mirror. Remove those two tabs with a T30 bit.

3. “HARD, SOFT TOPS”- Set the rear of the panel in
place first. Then drop the front in place. You may
have to slip the rubber seal out of the way to be
able to drop the front of the panel down into place.

4. Center the panel up, and drill a 1/8” hole for the
screws, in the front slots and the rear holes.

5. “HARD TOPS”- REMOUNT your hard top latch tabs
in the same position they were before.

6. Place rubber seal back if removed.

7. Run the screws in and you are done.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but does anyone know if the hardtop molle panel work for the soft top and sunrider tops?

thanks!

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but does anyone know if the hardtop molle panel work for the soft top and sunrider tops?

thanks!
I have the hardtop version in my JK, and that Molle panel is designed to be compatible with the sPOD controller (it's a switch panel mounted above the mirror). The red arrow points at an opening that is necessary to allow access to the Freedom Top Panel release. Compared to the one in my JT, which is the soft top version, you lose that space for mounting gear. You can see that would not have been an issue for me, but losing access to the Freedom Top release would have been (I have dual tops for the JK). Remember, these shots compare a JK (dual tops) and a JT (softtop only). I expect if you were to contact Molle Platform Solutions, they'd confirm for someone who uses both tops on a JT, opt for the hardtop version. But don't hold me to that if you choose to order without doing so and it doesn't work out. You may find this page handy:

https://www.molle-platform-solutions.com/contact

JK molle rack, hardtop version ...
Jeep Gladiator Overhead Consoles? Wrangler GMRS Radio Install, Jul 20, 5_5495, Checking Mechanical Install

JK molle rack hardtop version ...
Jeep Gladiator Overhead Consoles? TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, Post-trip, 5_7139, Ham Install (front view)

JT molle rack softtop version ...
Jeep Gladiator Overhead Consoles? Gladiator, Dec 19, CP_135426, Final Overhead Molle Rack Wirin

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Cool, thanks! It looks like I’ll be sending them a message soon.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Hi. Did you have any install pics.? thanks
No install pics. It came with install instructions, it was a simple install. Assuming you have a hartop; just remove the freedom panels, remove all the bolts and electrical connections for hardtop, prop up the hardtop on the roll bar or scoot it back a little (pad the bottom with towels to prevent scratching.)
Sponsored