Overpriced aftermarket parts...

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Just saying, pretty sure every state has regulations that require a minimum of a drivers side mirror, some require both. It's probably only a small fine though of under $200 if you run into the wrong LEO. In AZ you could be safe, you have to do something pretty stupid to get pulled over (we've had 50+ days of 110 degrees plus this summer, who wants to write tickets) but I know plenty of people who have been cited in Moab and CA for stupid stuff like tires stick out from the fender flares, driving with windshield down, and yes no mirrors on the tube doors.
I live in SC. If it drives its pretty much legal. We don't even need to plate trailers under 3500lbs here. As long as I have a center one I am good. They have way bigger fish to fry here. Like the idiots doing the Carolina squat that legit can't see the road. And trailers that look like they will fall apart. I think the windshield down is even fully legal here.

AZ does not require side mirrors unless the rear view is obstructed. So just the single center mirror is legal here. CA requires two mirrors, and specifies one must be on the left side. Don't know about other states, those are the only places I go to regularly.

I use my side mirrors more often than the center, so I want them to be functional. It makes me crazy not to have them. Maybe because of so much time on motorcycles and towing, where those are my only mirrors.
I was missing them for a long time, but that in itself was part of the issue. If I am going to pay money for mirrors I want ones at the minimum as good as stock (a pretty low bar honestly). I couldn't find anything full size, everything seemed more compliance grade than a true full blown usable mirror. I want something I can tow with since thats how I leave my mirrors pointed all the time anyways.

Federal DOT regs require a mirror on the drivers side. I don't think any state can disregard this as it is a Federally mandated safety requirement. AZ probably doesn't enforce it, just like they don't enforce so many MVD/DOT regs unless someone is being an idiot.

As for whether or not another state can enforce their regs to out of state motorists is another question. All states have reciprocity with drivers licenses and registrations. Logically if your vehicle is legal in your home state it should be legal in all 50 but I can tell you that CA and UT will write you a citation if its not legal in their state. Now you can take the time and money to fight it but most people pay the $200 or so fine and forget it.

As for my center mirror, can't see anything out thru the back due to top and gear. Have a separate 1080p camera front and rear that displays over a full OEM type rear view mirror. But like you, I use my side mirrors more often than the center, it's a matter of safety.
I cross into NC a lot and never get a look and I think technically I am in some kind of violation there, but once again its that strange state thing. Like I can drive my plateless SC trailer in NC all I want, but they do have the right to pull me over if they don't see my SC plates on my truck or van.
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
It's like you said "they have bigger fish to fry". It all depends on if you are in an area with a huge number of rookies looking to ticket everything or in a jurisdiction with an unwritten rule about quotas. Here is AZ they seem to turn the other way on "minor" violations, however if you get into an at fault accident, you can bet the ticket book will be coming out if you have obvious safety violations.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
It's like you said "they have bigger fish to fry". It all depends on if you are in an area with a huge number of rookies looking to ticket everything or in a jurisdiction with an unwritten rule about quotas. Here is AZ they seem to turn the other way on "minor" violations, however if you get into an at fault accident, you can bet the ticket book will be coming out if you have obvious safety violations.
thats a good point. At fault accident and they could nail somebody for everything even down to tires sticking out.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Federal DOT regs require a mirror on the drivers side. I don't think any state can disregard this as it is a Federally mandated safety requirement. AZ probably doesn't enforce it, just like they don't enforce so many MVD/DOT regs unless someone is being an idiot.
I'm pretty sure those standards apply to new vehicles only, and the state can allow mods or custom builds as they see fit. I don't know this for sure, but have been told by a Constitutional lawyer that this should fall under state's rights, though she didn't know the vehicle stuff specifically.

As for whether or not another state can enforce their regs to out of state motorists is another question.
Well, they absolutely do, even if they might not be able to legally. CA does not have reciprocity on AZ registered UTVs like RZRs, and their laws specifically say so. They also don't observe our tint laws, and don't care that we're allowed to have uncovered offroad lights. That said, I've spent a huge amount of time in CA with my Jeeps and not a word. But two friends with UTVs were cited in the Imperial Valley for driving to the local gas station on 1/4 mile of road.

This is because CA has no other crime or problems, and these are their priorities for revenue generationlaw enforcement.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
As for my center mirror, can't see anything out thru the back due to top and gear. Have a separate 1080p camera front and rear that displays over a full OEM type rear view mirror. But like you, I use my side mirrors more often than the center, it's a matter of safety.
You know you can activate the rear camera while driving, right?

Actually, most state laws dictate that side mirrors are required only if the view is obstructed from the center mounted mirror.

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I am not missing them for safety reasons - I check over my shoulder regardless. They were convenient for parking/backing but without a top or doors that's a lot easier anyway.

Our state laws are pretty lax, but you do have to worry about some of the speed trap towns that like to cite for "careless driving" under a very, very broad local ordinance.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I am not missing them for safety reasons - I check over my shoulder regardless. They were convenient for parking/backing but without a top or doors that's a lot easier anyway.

Our state laws are pretty lax, but you do have to worry about some of the speed trap towns that like to cite for "careless driving" under a very, very broad local ordinance.
thats true. I could see some of those really remote places getting you for just about anything.
Sponsored