First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
This is my recent experience, I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. I posted this question on my Facebook page trying to understand what was going on better. Here is the post and a few of the replies:

Anyone understand the car market right now? I have had three calls now with people trying to buy my 2021 Jeep Gladiator. They are offering $5-15K higher than what I paid for it new. First it was the dealer, then a buyer from the dealer, and today it was from a different dealer than where I bought it. I have 10K miles on it.

How can this be? There is inventory on the lots, not the exact same as mine, but close. What the heck is going on? This doesn't make any sense to me.

- No inventory on the lots.... and they can rope you into more payments on something else.

- The finance guy at a local place is a friend of mine. We just got more for my wife’s ride than new. Then they put her in a nicer model for less than the old one. The finance guy said it came down to credit. On the new one the manufactures have great pricing for those with great credit. On the used cars the terms aren’t as good, but credit doesn’t have to be as good, so they can sell the resale cars to people that don’t qualify for the new cars. People are paying for for used due to their own credit issues. You having low miles and likely great credit can probably make a good deal right now. I might give it a shot.

I have a '21 Rubicon Eco and the only things I have really done is a short antenna, full Armorlite floor, PRP custom seat covers, and a used Sunrider top from Jeep.

They dealer is telling me that he has a buyer who can't get a decent deal on a new one with an Eco because of his credit, but they can put him in my mine through the credit union. Go figure.
Sponsored

No Quarter

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Business Consultant
Buyers and sellers make the market. Prices harmonize with supply and demand. If someone wants to pay more and does not bargain shop, that is on them. If they could not sell them for that much, they would adjust the price accordingly.

Capitalism does not include a save-the-idiots-from-themselves feature.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) reports that the average gross profit for a used car is $2,337. That same data set puts the average gross profit for new cars at $1,959.

These numbers are compiled using historical data. I'd imagine that roughly $400 difference is at least tripled in this pandemic/chip-shortage climate.

Add that reliability ratings are higher than ever and that manufacturers are specializing in higher volume vehicles (GM and Ford focusing on trucks/SUVs, etc.) and the low mileage used car market is bonkers right now.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I don’t purchase cars on credit but I never answer the question from the dealers: are you financing or paying cash? They make money off of financing the vehicle as well as the little markups for vehicle lot storage and prep, tinting windows, adding ceramic coatings, interior protection for seats and warranties (big money maker for them).

I work the deal with financing option (how much per month do you want your payment to be? They ask 🤣) and then I cut out all the stupid dealer fees as well as any petty add ins they charge top dollar for. If they won’t cut that $ out I walk. When they are satisfied and give me an interest rate and monthly payment cost. I just start writing a check for the purchase price (I’ve had some say that I can’t do that… 😁 I just did, do you want the money or not). I also tell them I am interested in a warranty before I write the check. After purchase I let them put me in the warranty sales office then leave without a warranty. Most of the time it is less expensive to just keep the money in an auto maintenance account that is your money vs a car warranty. I rarely use any money from that account btw.

you can say people are stupid for buying cars now and financing, but there are good deals out there and I have financed cars in the past for 0% interest. I use their money that way but there are additional charges they add so it is a wash in most cases. I just hate car payments anyway.

Carvana, so I recently purchased a 2013 Mustang Convertible GT 6 speed manual with sport package and upgraded parts from previous owner with 20,000 miles on it. I looked at Carvana and they do work deals in a trust worthy fashion, but I decided to go with the lower cost VROOM deal I had and am very pleased with my purchase after about 4 months. VROOM, I will tell you the deal seems flat out shady at times, but in the end they delivered on the promise and I had 7 days and 250 miles to return and get all money back. I took the car to a trusted mechanic and he said I should take it and sell for a profit… he said the car is pristine! Of course I kept it and love it!

Internet car buying is a very satisfying experience, and I don’t have to play games and waste time.
Sponsored