First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
All dealers are different. Mine did a package of five oil changes for $80 flat. A steal. I had ten of them done on my Wranglers, never an issue, never an upsell. My filters were well cared for, usually changed in less time because...Jeep...dust. So they always just marked them off as "serviceable." The only annoyance was airing up my 35s to factory pressure, they needed to stay at 27 PSI. And it usually got an exterior wash, depending on how busy they were.

The only expensive thing they quoted was $600 for a radiator, installed. Hard to say if it's "too much," the job was a pain with two friends helping, and good radiators are $300-500.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I had my guard up after a Jeep Wave oil change at 3K, the only annoying thing the dealer did was put a sticker on my windshield for a change at 8500 mi.

I didn't buy from this dealer, but they are <1 mile from my office, and so far, so good. We'll see what they want for the steel Rubicon bumper, figure to give them a chance to get my business.

Man do I hate dealerships and they hate me. I get my oil changes done there because with coupons it is cheaper than even doing it myself. But man do they try to pull one over on me. The air filter scam is such a common one, I had to save my parents after honda tried charging them $65 for a cabin air filter because it is "hard to change". I had them time me, less than 2 minutes, lol.

Toyota keeps trying to scam me everytime that I am long overdue for the top end engine clean every 30k miles. They really try to push that useless service hard.

I can't wait to see the garbage FCA pushes on me, asuming I can even find a dealer I can sort of trust.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's not crazy expensive, but Holy Hell is it easy to change a radiator on a CJ/YJ in comparison!

All dealers are different. Mine did a package of five oil changes for $80 flat. A steal. I had ten of them done on my Wranglers, never an issue, never an upsell. My filters were well cared for, usually changed in less time because...Jeep...dust. So they always just marked them off as "serviceable." The only annoyance was airing up my 35s to factory pressure, they needed to stay at 27 PSI. And it usually got an exterior wash, depending on how busy they were.

The only expensive thing they quoted was $600 for a radiator, installed. Hard to say if it's "too much," the job was a pain with two friends helping, and good radiators are $300-500.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I paid $275 for another Rubicon/LE wheel to replace the steel on the spare, out the door. Best price online was about $30 less but without mount and balance. I know, mount/balance should be $15. But...I simply rolled in and they took care of it, washed it, and I hung around inside the shop talking Jeeps with the SA and techs.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Damn thats a good deal. would jump all over that.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, once the two years free with Wave is done, I'll sign up for that package again for sure.

I think this dealer tries hard to be unlike the stereotype we have of bad dealers. They aren't always super cheap or anything, but feel fair. Also they have free shuttles to/from home, even for the most basic service.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I still go to the dealership for certain things... but know I will argue with them almost every time trying to pull something. Most recently when getting an oil change and tire rotation the tech said I needed the tires to be balanced. I then asked ... why do you recommend that? He said well it’s easier to do them when they are off... quotes me $55. I then asked but what makes you think I need to get them balanced? He couldn’t come up with an answer and stuttered quite a bit. He then fit together “it would be cheaper to do it every time I have it in to balance so they don’t wear funny, so I don’t have to replace them”. I then said so your telling me to do something I don’t currently need? He then said, no you don’t need it.

He was a newby, but I get a kick of it everytime because every advisor/tech tries something. The best is them justifying simple things like Air filters and cabin filters and what they charge. I usually say so your trying to charge me $85 bucks to installed a $14 filter. They usually just stare at me... and I say no thanks. The last time I was in... they got this order guy on the air cabin filter... I told him to he could go to Autozone and they would slide it in for free... he said it wasn’t worth his time to save the $65 bucks or whatever.

That made me realize that’s why they do it... because they can to most patrons that come in who are either too ignorant, too polite to question, or simply don’t care how much it costs cause they have the money and don’t feel like dealing with it...
got charged $200 for wheel alignment. with this mask bs i could not understand the guy. last time I am doing that at the dealer. local guys charge 100 front and back and do a good job as I watch them do it. some things are not worth doing at the dealer.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Damn!! $80 at my dealer. Which is still expensive since very little is actually adjustable.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
got charged $200 for wheel alignment. with this mask bs i could not understand the guy. last time I am doing that at the dealer. local guys charge 100 front and back and do a good job as I watch them do it. some things are not worth doing at the dealer.
did you get the before and after specs of your alignment? Many times they act like they cant do the print out before and after. I would demand it.

I asked for it once at Honda when they were doing alignment specials for $79. There was like one thing a tab bit off, the alignment improved it... but didn’t change the category of being off. Needless to say when I asked for the before and after I didn’t end up paying for the alignment.

my local Firestone said they do lifetime vehicle alignments for $149, or 129 with a coupon. He said once they are aligned right there is only small tweaks needed thereafter....

But by the time you pay for alignments, rotations and balancing at the dealer.. you could but a new set of tires before yours even wear out!

I have a buddy who buys new mid to lower grade tires for his frontier every 2-3 years... he gets them from BJs, which comes with lifetime balancing and rotation Plus road hazard and he usually gets the coupon and it ends up being around $400 OTD. He then sells them to a local tire shop when they have about 50-60% tire tread left and he said sometimes he gets close to $100 for all 4 depending on the brand because they usually look brand new. His goal is to spend about $100 bucks a year on tires and always has a pair that has great tread left.

Wish my JT tires were That cheap!

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
We bought my wife's JKU about a year ago, from a dealer about an hour away from home. They talked us into buying a 5-year maintenance package, telling us that we would get free oil changes and tire rotations on a regular basis. Came time for an oil change so we went to our local dealer to ask about getting it done - they pulled up our contract on the computer and said the "free" oil change would cost us about $100! Apparently that 5-year package puts a cap on the price of the oil change: they allow $20 for an oil change, and the dealer charges $129 for the oil change!

We immediately called the selling dealer, and sent them an email, asking to cancel that package - they refunded our money with no problem! I have to problem doing my own oil changes for that kind of money!

We apparently get some free oil changes on my Gladiator for two years - hopefully they are really "free" and not $20 off their normal price! Once they are done I'll be doing them also!

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Life is too short to do what someone else can do for $40. But yes, all reports are that Wave is truly free.

Our BMW came with several years of truly free everything, including a loaner even just for an oil change. They get $150 normally.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Wait until you look for phone holders. lmfao.
For the BMW? The official one was outdated when it was made, so we went third party. It wasn't expensive, just stupid. Oh, also it hides the phone in the console, unacceptable. I want it up front in a holder within eye line of the road.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
For the BMW? The official one was outdated when it was made, so we went third party. It wasn't expensive, just stupid. Oh, also it hides the phone in the console, unacceptable. I want it up front in a holder within eye line of the road.
I was referring to the Gladiator. When I started searching for phone holders, I quickly saw the racket of selling 2 pieces and all kinds of complicated add ons. I couldn't justify 70 -100 for a phone holder.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Oh, I pay dearly for non-vehicle-specific docks from Proclip. I also have them on the motorcycles. I want a perfect fit and auto-connect docking. The Jeep adapter part was only $20. It's much cleaner than those ridiculous bar things.

Jeep Gladiator Overpriced aftermarket parts... IMG_6412
Sponsored