Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm going to finally hit up Windrock Park in July. Just looking for some overall insight. My actual destination is technically Gatlinburg to my son's b-ball tournament. But I'm planning to have enough time to hit the park. Im traveling from Louisville KY so not too far. But I will only have a full day to play due to scheduling. So I'm more along the lines of passing through, but able to stay and play for a day. But because of that I'm limited on time and don't want to waste any.

In any case been doing a little research on Trail 51 specifically and have a couple of questions for maybe some of you locals or those who have experience with the park and that trail. With the park being so large I've noticed that a lot of trails (including panther rock) are not located near the main entrance area. Or even close for that matter. And that some take a bit of navigating to even get to the trail, let alone doing it.

So with that said. Im trying to plan out my route since I don't have a lot of time, I dont want to waste any simply trying to locate panther rock. I'm not trying to download the Windrock app either. Not a matter of being cheap. Ive just heard from many its not worth it, and is kind of a waste. Besides it doesnt give you way points to trails anyways, just shows your location within the trail system. You'd still have to navigate regardless.

I've heard you can get to Panther Rock from the North which is the route I'd be taking to get to Windrock anyways coming from KY. If true, it would make sense for me to hit Panther Rock before getting further south down into the main entrance area of Windrock near the general store and camping area. Since I know Panther Rock is located northeast of the main entrance.

So I guess my questions are for Panther Rock specifically...

1) Can it be accessed from the North? If so what's the best route from 116 off I-75 once past Briceville? Or can it only be access from the south/main WIndrock entrance area, and best route from there if so?

2) How possible is it complete in a semi stock Overland? Overland has a full Rubicon suspension with leveling kit, and 35s for the most part. Nothing else major, no lockers, disconnects etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I think the app is worth it, it is much easier to figure out where you are and where to go. We do still usually use the paper map too.

The attached image shows where you want to go. Not sure it is the easiest way to get there from your starting point, but it is the easiest way without going all the way through the park. Take New River Hwy to the intersection I circled. You might be able to enter from Vowell Mountain Lane through Rocky Top but some entrances are gated. The way I show it is always open.

If it is dry, you should be fine. There are a couple of bypasses for some sections that you should consider when you see them. Do not be afraid to turn around. I did it twice in my wife’s JLR with 35s, no lift. Winched the first time because it was wet and did it easily the second time when dry. I have not tried it in my JT yet.

Jeep Gladiator Panther Rock Trail 51 at WIndrock..A little insight anyone 54ABF680-90E5-47D5-A0B7-D65AD0B46BCB

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of possibly coming off Coal County Rd and Braden Flats Ln. from the North East of the trail and work South since Id be coming in from the main Briceville area since that leads off my path from 75S. Not sure how accessable itd be from there. But this gives me options at least.
@Mtpisgah

Nhjeep

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Occupation
Consultant
So I'm going to finally hit up Windrock Park in July. Just looking for some overall insight. My actual destination is technically Gatlinburg to my son's b-ball tournament. But I'm planning to have enough time to hit the park. Im traveling from Louisville KY so not too far. But I will only have a full day to play due to scheduling. So I'm more along the lines of passing through, but able to stay and play for a day. But because of that I'm limited on time and don't want to waste any.

In any case been doing a little research on Trail 51 specifically and have a couple of questions for maybe some of you locals or those who have experience with the park and that trail. With the park being so large I've noticed that a lot of trails (including panther rock) are not located near the main entrance area. Or even close for that matter. And that some take a bit of navigating to even get to the trail, let alone doing it.

So with that said. Im trying to plan out my route since I don't have a lot of time, I dont want to waste any simply trying to locate panther rock. I'm not trying to download the Windrock app either. Not a matter of being cheap. Ive just heard from many its not worth it, and is kind of a waste. Besides it doesnt give you way points to trails anyways, just shows your location within the trail system. You'd still have to navigate regardless.

I've heard you can get to Panther Rock from the North which is the route I'd be taking to get to Windrock anyways coming from KY. If true, it would make sense for me to hit Panther Rock before getting further south down into the main entrance area of Windrock near the general store and camping area. Since I know Panther Rock is located northeast of the main entrance.

So I guess my questions are for Panther Rock specifically...

1) Can it be accessed from the North? If so what's the best route from 116 off I-75 once past Briceville? Or can it only be access from the south/main WIndrock entrance area, and best route from there if so?

2) How possible is it complete in a semi stock Overland? Overland has a full Rubicon suspension with leveling kit, and 35s for the most part. Nothing else major, no lockers, disconnects etc.
Just did a bit of wind rock today. Huge ruts on trail 51 just after it starts. I am talking ruts that would need a 6" lift and 40s to get by with scraping. We had two stock Mojaves and a Rubi JLU with a 2" lift. We decided to pass. There is logging active in the area. Possible the equipment is affecting the trails. It was dry today two. Any rain and this trail would be a mess. The woman at the front desk warned us and said we should 🫴 nsidered trail26 for a badge trail. We should have listened. This is not an easy to moderate trail right now.

If you want to enter from the north though....we came in at the gate and crossed 116 on G9 to 50. The map says trail 9 is closed in the middle but it is not. It is open all the way through. It was a very nice easy to moderate trail. Head 9 to G2 to P1 to the country store. Get the app and map. It was very helpful on the trail.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a bit of wind rock today. Huge ruts on trail 51 just after it starts. I am talking ruts that would need a 6" lift and 40s to get by with scraping. We had two stock Mojaves and a Rubi JLU with a 2" lift. We decided to pass. There is logging active in the area. Possible the equipment is affecting the trails. It was dry today two. Any rain and this trail would be a mess. The woman at the front desk warned us and said we should 🫴 nsidered trail26 for a badge trail. We should have listened. This is not an easy to moderate trail right now.

If you want to enter from the north though....we came in at the gate and crossed 116 on G9 to 50. The map says trail 9 is closed in the middle but it is not. It is open all the way through. It was a very nice easy to moderate trail. Head 9 to G2 to P1 to the country store. Get the app and map. It was very helpful on the trail.
very helpful thanks.
Sponsored