Patagonia Tread Tearing Off

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Is this normal? Or dangerous? The tires have about 8,000 miles and a fair bit of wheeling. This is the worst of them, but there are several lugs and other features completely missing or severely damaged. The discount tire guys are earning every bit of that $20 lifetime maintenance keeping these balanced.
Jeep Gladiator Patagonia Tread Tearing Off 0BE5A30C-87D2-4C48-887D-0B69B08121C5
Sponsored

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
I am no tireologist but it sure doesn’t seem right (or safe)...

I bet a post of that picture on all of their social media accounts asking if that is normal and safe would get you a pretty quick response and remediation of the situation :)

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I am not a tire expert but theres no way I would run that tire on the road.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
That is not good nor safe...........and I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few years ago.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Ditch that thing.. that’s said I’ve heard of this happening before. Caused by running too low of pressure on the street. If you did a chalk test with these tires your too low.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Was that tire like that when the discount tire store balanced the tires? They should not have let you leave, they should have warrantied the tire or denied it a abuse and sold you a tire or two? ......jack

OP
OP
khockey02

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ditch that thing.. that’s said I’ve heard of this happening before. Caused by running too low of pressure on the street. If you did a chalk test with these tires your too low.
Thanks, that’s what I would have thought too, but I run these 35-40 psi. I run about 15psi on the trails and maybe should just chock this up to trail damage. Either way I’m looking into new tires now.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, that’s what I would have thought too, but I run these 35-40 psi. I run about 15psi on the trails and maybe should just chock this up to trail damage. Either way I’m looking into new tires now.
35 should of been fine. Everything I can find is thats where these should be. I hear of the lugs coming off from being ran sub 20 on the road which is what it takes to get it to cover in a chalk test.

You werent in that range... Ignore me & wish me luck.. I have 4 of these being delivered friday

OP
OP
khockey02

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was that tire like that when the discount tire store balanced the tires? They should not have let you leave, they should have warrantied the tire or denied it a abuse and sold you a tire or two? ......jack
They offered to give me credit on it, but I’m not sure if I want to stick with the pats after this.

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I have 7,000 miles on my tires after 8 months of daily usage. I did see a Jeep near Johnson Valley with lugs torn off and I figured it was from hard rock usage. The guy bought the set second hand. I use mine a few times on the trail every month, and have not had even a tire chunk of me. But, I have seen the images and they make me nervous about running these far from home (Death Valley for example).

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had Patagonia on my JL and never had any issues when I wear out the tires the Gladiator came with Ill be buying a set. When it comes to tire damage like that there are too many variables is it the owner, is it the manufacturer and so on unless I see wide spread complaints and I haven't Ill still get a set when needed.

OP
OP
khockey02

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 7,000 miles on my tires after 8 months of daily usage. I did see a Jeep near Johnson Valley with lugs torn off and I figured it was from hard rock usage. The guy bought the set second hand. I use mine a few times on the trail every month, and have not had even a tire chunk of me. But, I have seen the images and they make me nervous about running these far from home (Death Valley for example).
That’s roughly where mine are. Do yours look dry rotted at all?