www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 Rubi is on the way. My initial plan is to run Nitto 37 Trail Grapplers on a Metalcloak 3 1/2" Gamechanger lift. The lift will be ordered with the MC driveshaft as well. Full skid plates, probably Metalcloak. Most likely going to 4.88 gears.

We live in Florida but tow a camper out west to explore and hit better trails. I want the capability to run harder trails than we have done in our JKU. The Rubicon trail is on the list. I am generally pretty tough on equipment and want to figure out what else I should be adding for capability and reliability. Any suggestions appreciated.

We will be carrying a good bit of weight with a storage system, rack, winch, etc.

FAD delete? Strengthen the axles somehow? I don't want to spend $15k on fully upgraded axles alone so other solutions would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Drive smart.. been across the Rubicon 3 times, all on 35" tires or smaller no problems .Drive dumb =big problems .

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Drive smart.. been across the Rubicon 3 times, all on 35" tires or smaller no problems .Drive dumb =big problems .
I have done pretty well with open differentials on 35s and smaller as well. The harder trails can cause things to break even when driving smart though. Nothing wrong with beefing up the axles and such. We also end up on our own quite often so I prefer as bulletproof as possible.

Just went up the wall at Poughkeepsie a month or so ago while out west. Nothing like the Rubicon of course, but you can do a lot if you drive it right. Even with 3:21 gears, 35s, and open diffs.

Sponsored