First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
IT Business Owner- CEO
I just updated my tire size. I left my powerteq bypass plugged in. Is this fine for normal operation or should I put the two cables back? THANKS!
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There should be no functional issue with leaving the cables disconnected from the SGW and having the bypass cable install. I would put things back to stock if you ever have to take it in for warranty work to avoid confusion.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There should be no functional issue with leaving the cables disconnected from the SGW and having the bypass cable install. I would put things back to stock if you ever have to take it in for warranty work to avoid confusion.
This -^
and add - the SGW is a firewall.
If you are concerned about security or theft - put things back to at least slow down anyone wanting to connect and mess with you. I have found that I can connect my phone to my adapter from outside my garage so I seldom leave the bypass in place. For diagnostics, only the bluetooth adapter or tool is needed. The bypass is only needed for changes.
Since I've seen someone could possibly connect to my truck as I lock it and walk away going into a store........ it's made me think about my choices.

But - what Hootbro said for the short answer.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
If you take it in for service, you'll need to reconnect the cables to the SGW. They use a dongle at most dealerships that bluetooth's all your car's data to their service terminals so they don't have to write it all down (VIN, mileage, etc). If you have the SGW bypassed, their dongle does not work.

Before I bought the z-automotive extension cables, I had to reconnect mine sitting in the service line and held everyone up for 10 minutes trying to get my fat fingers up in there. The tech tried twice and could not get his OBD dongle to work. As soon as I reconnected the SGW it all worked fine.

OP
OP
Jbump30

Jbump30

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Business Owner- CEO
Thanks, everyone! I will hook it back up like stock. May not need to change it again, anyways. No need leaving an open door from a security perspective.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
This -^
and add - the SGW is a firewall.
If you are concerned about security or theft - put things back to at least slow down anyone wanting to connect and mess with you. I have found that I can connect my phone to my adapter from outside my garage so I seldom leave the bypass in place. For diagnostics, only the bluetooth adapter or tool is needed. The bypass is only needed for changes.
Since I've seen someone could possibly connect to my truck as I lock it and walk away going into a store........ it's made me think about my choices.

But - what Hootbro said for the short answer.
I know you’re right, but boy, is it irritating. I’d actually thought about leaving the bypass in place and never once considered this… and I work in the tech field. Thank you!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’d actually thought about leaving the bypass in place and never once considered this… and I work in the tech field.
I can relate - network admin, gov't job - in charge of security of the network and all endpoints.
And I was leaving mine in for convenience, then all of the "what-ifs" started............

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I can relate - network admin, gov't job - in charge of security of the network and all endpoints.
And I was leaving mine in for convenience, then all of the "what-ifs" started............
Sounds like you’ve lived many lives there. Not a bad thing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you’ve lived many lives there. Not a bad thing.
I attended the wedding of a friend/co-worker several years ago. Our high school auto teacher was a friend of the bride and her family as well. We sat at the same table and caught up a bit. He made a similar comment when I told him of each "career" I've had........... but with my affliction, it's not uncommon, I guess.
(I bore extremely easily - and when I get into it, I'm into it 200% - until I get bored)

OP
OP
Jbump30

Jbump30

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Business Owner- CEO
And that time when I needed the jaws of life to free my right hand when it got stuck pulling the second cable free...

That's the real reason I was gonna leave it. It seemed to be made by and for tiny handed people. These softball mitts do not fit! LOLOLOL 🤣.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And that time when I needed the jaws of life to free my right hand when it got stuck pulling the second cable free...

That's the real reason I was gonna leave it. It seemed to be made by and for tiny handed people. These softball mitts do not fit! LOLOLOL 🤣.
I used to have fantastic manual dexterity. People were always asking me to reach things, manipulate parts, whatever. Those days are gone - infections from fingers being smashed in axles, table saw mishaps, arthritis, and more. I've pulled my hand out of that gateway area with blood striping my fingers.
I bought the EXTENSION cables finally. Now I can take the bypass cable and OBD adapter out and never again have to reach up to that gateway (unless I trade trucks again - I had them in my 2020 and removed them when I traded)
I may have to keep this truck forever just so I don't have to reach up for those cables again.
The extension cable set is great for anyone with taser, without taser, with any device that needs the gateway bypassed. You can remove and reinstall taser in seconds, same for the bypass cable with the OBD bluetooth adapter, you can remove and reinstall it with your fingers intact. No more calls to 911 or begging your wife to come rescue you from the mean alligator jaws of that dash.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS

Definitely buy the extension cables!!! I (and many others) have the scars to back that up
Sponsored