First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
If the dealer wants to do a computer update and you have a Tazer Mini installed, don't let them perform the update without first disconnecting the Tazer.

I had this happen to me today when I was in for a TPMS sensor replacement. They didn't have the necessary part but took it upon themselves to do a computer update as long as they had the vehicle. The software tried to update and failed because the Tazer somehow inhibits the process. This left the computer with a "partial install" and turned the Gladiator into a $50,000 brick as the engine would no longer start.

Ultimately, they realized the issue, unpluggged the Tazer, performed the update, plugged the Tazer back in and everything worked fine and my Tazer-adjusted settings remained intact.

You can bet the Service Advisor got some "feedback" for performing a service I didn't ask for or consent to. Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a "bash the dealership" thread; I simply wanted those with a Tazer Mini installed to be aware that this can happen.

Forewarned is Forearmed
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Always disconnect the Tazer before dropping off for service. No reason to complicate things and no reason to give them reasons to void anything.

It's not uncommon to do updates like this without customer consent (and no, they do not require your consent acting in good faith because it's included warranty work) so either tell them you don't want anything else done ahead of time or be prepared for them to do them.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Doesn’t Tazer say to revert the “tune” back to original and remover the Tazer before doing anything. Thought I saw it on a video somewhere saying so.

Easy one to miss indeed.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Yep ....here it is. Unmarry is what they call it.

forward to about the 5:30 mark .....

OP
OP
HooliganActual

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Always disconnect the Tazer before dropping off for service. No reason to complicate things and no reason to give them reasons to void anything.

It's not uncommon to do updates like this without customer consent (and no, they do not require your consent acting in good faith because it's included warranty work) so either tell them you don't want anything else done ahead of time or be prepared for them to do them.
I have to challenge you on the point about consent. They do not have the right to install or remove anything that I have not agreed to, good faith or not. Good faith could be construed to them saying that my 37’s aren’t good for the drive train, pop them off and throw on stockers.

Sponsored

Sikjeep2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Updating the computers is pretty standard procedure at most dealers. Make sure you uninstalled electronics tied to the factory computer before taking to dealer.

Last edited:

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I have to challenge you on the point about consent. They do not have the right to install or remove anything that I have not agreed to, good faith or not. Good faith could be construed to them saying that my 37’s aren’t good for the drive train, pop them off and throw on stockers.
If it were to ever go to court, they would generally like at it from the standpoint of what a “general person could reasonably expect”. Swapping tires out is unreasonable. Updating software probably not.

Also, I suspect that service manager would win if they voided a warranty for a tazer, regardless if they just noticed it in there. Even more so because it impeded software updates, which probably fall under the warranty requirement for regular maintenance.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
You don’t really need to unmarry but you need to remove the tazer as that’s what blocking the software because that’s why the need to be plugged into the security gateway

OP
OP
HooliganActual

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
If it were to ever go to court, they would generally like at it from the standpoint of what a “general person could reasonably expect”. Swapping tires out is unreasonable. Updating software probably not.

Also, I suspect that service manager would win if they voided a warranty for a tazer, regardless if they just noticed it in there. Even more so because it impeded software updates, which probably fall under the warranty requirement for regular maintenance.
If they want to void my warranty, that is understandable and I would begrudgingly accept that. But that vehicle does not belong to them, and they should be informing me of anything that they do that is other than what it was brought in for. It was not routine service. It was in for a failed TPMS sensor replacement which they didn’t even have and should have told me when I scheduled the “TPMS sensor replacement”. They really had no right to do anything other than what I brought it in for.

NOTE FOR ALL: I am not trying to be defensive with your comments but I am also not some 17 year old driving daddy’s Gladiator. I currently own 2 Wranglers and a Gladiator which are my 6th, 7th and 8th Jeeps. My day job is as the Director of Maintenance & Reliability for a Fortune 100 company overseeing 60+ manufacturing sites. The equipment I oversee are typically million dollar plus units and contractually our service providers cannot get away with this randomness. I am very clear and precise with the Service Advisors at the Jeep Dealerships of my expectations. This was against what I had explicitly communicated at the time I handed my keys over.

OP
OP
HooliganActual

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You don’t really need to unmarry but you need to remove the tazer as that’s what blocking the software because that’s why the need to be plugged into the security gateway
Yes, that is exactly what they said.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HooliganActual

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Moral of this story is do your homework in regard to aftermarket accessories you install. Had the OP, done his homework, this issue would not have happened..

Routinely.... not unusual when a vehicle is at the dealership... assigned to a Tech.... that the vehicle is hooked up to the wiTechII.. More often then not... it is a given....

When the Tech hooks up the vehicle, the vehicle Vin is recognized and this info, is at that very moment is relayed to FCA.

The wiTechII then lets the Tech know if there are any update(s) that FCA says is a must they perform...

IF the Tech does not do said updates, more often then not, the wiTECHII cannot continue....cannot do what the Tech needs to have updated, etc... Actually in a way FCA, dictates what the vehicle gets or does not get update wise.

IF you do not want the Tech to hookup to the wiTECHII or you have any other points you want to mention/stress.... you better make this very clear with the Service Writer... I myself find it best to ask to speak with the Tech before the tech drives into the garage with my vehicle. Service Writer's, more often then not, drop the ball so to speak.
What you have said is exactly my issue. It is not that I should have done my homework, rather I was very clear with the Service Advisor that they were not to do anything else. If they needed to do anything other than remove my tire and replace my TPMS sensor, they should have consulted with me.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That's a complete fallacy. Software is intangible and falls under an entirely different set of rules than physical property. You can challenge all you want but my dealership (as in my employer at the time) was sued over exactly what you describe and the courts found in favor of the dealership. As long as it's in good faith and not against the customer's stated wishes, software updates are generally allowed without consent.

What you have said is exactly my issue. It is not that I should have done my homework, rather I was very clear with the Service Advisor that they were not to do anything else. If they needed to do anything other than remove my tire and replace my TPMS sensor, they should have consulted with me.
Rule #1 of the shop: If it's not on the ticket, it doesn't exist. You can tell the service writer all you want but unless it's on that ticket that gets assigned, the tech won't know and is going to in all likelihood hook it up to check. It was standard practice for us even even 20 years ago because for every person like you who is pissed we did an update, there were 5 more pissed we didn't do an update.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
That's a complete fallacy. Software is intangible and falls under an entirely different set of rules than physical property. You can challenge all you want but my dealership (as in my employer at the time) was sued over exactly what you describe and the courts found in favor of the dealership. As long as it's in good faith and not against the customer's stated wishes, software updates are generally allowed without consent.

Rule #1 of the shop: If it's not on the ticket, it doesn't exist. You can tell the service writer all you want but unless it's on that ticket that gets assigned, the tech won't know and is going to in all likelihood hook it up to check. It was standard practice for us even even 20 years ago because for every person like you who is pissed we did an update, there were 5 more pissed we didn't do an update.
If I were to visit the dealership for say a LOF and tire rotation, I hope they would install any updates. Even if I forget to specify they do it.
If they were to install some sort of tracker or something malicious that's a whole different story, not what this thread is talking about.

So yes... I am one who who be pissedd if I was in for service and a recommended update was not installed. I guess they could ask, but for every few asks is probably one customer with questions and lingering confusion on part of the recommendations. Just do it.
If I have a Tazer hooked up, that's my responsibility to unmarrie and remove.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Are we done? Or should I get more popcorn?
Sponsored