Sponsored

Rain Gutter Roof Rack on hard top- Safe or not?

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Hey,

Looking for a roof rack / crossbar combo for my JT. I'd primarily like this to carry kayaks and possibly a basket in the future.

I see some folks saying that you won't have any issues if you stay under the weight capacity, but also have read others that say you shouldn't haul anything up there - especially kayaks.

Is it safe to mount x2 Pelican Kayaks (39#'s each) to a roof rack on top of the hard top?

Been looking at this basket: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTRK.html

Been also looking at Mopar Cross bars: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/m...meT0yMDIwJnQ9YWx0aXR1ZGUmZT0zLTZsLXY2LWdhcw==
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

Looking for a roof rack / crossbar combo for my JT. I'd primarily like this to carry kayaks and possibly a basket in the future.

I see some folks saying that you won't have any issues if you stay under the weight capacity, but also have read others that say you shouldn't haul anything up there - especially kayaks.

Is it safe to mount x2 Pelican Kayaks (39#'s each) to a roof rack on top of the hard top?

Been looking at this basket: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTRK.html

Been also looking at Mopar Cross bars: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/m...meT0yMDIwJnQ9YWx0aXR1ZGUmZT0zLTZsLXY2LWdhcw==
I have the Thule rain gutter feet with aero bars. I have no trouble hauling 4 bikes up there. I do choose to leave them behind the freedom panels on the main hard top. But I move the front one forward in the winter to haul skis and snowboards. They don’t move at all. Youlll be fine if you stay under the weight rating.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the low $$ Hook roof bars from Amazon, one on freedom panels the other on back edge of hardtop with 2 100w solar panels mounted on them. Not much weight but a solid flat "sail" in wind, so not much help on hauling kayaks or hard cases. On my MJ I used Thule roof bars on it's short roof to haul a canoe around in Germany tied to front and rear bumpers. I tied off on bumpers to prevent wind lifting and twisting off roof.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
The "others" that don't advise it are MOPAR engineers. The load bars can handle the static weight of the kayaks, but what they can't handle is high winds (highway speeds) hitting the kayaks causing massive forces to be dumped into the gutters. The only way I'd feel comfortable mounting a kayak to them would be if I strapped the front of the kayak to the front bumper and back to the tiedowns in the bed to limit how much the kayaks can move, but even then it's at your own risk.

Jeep Gladiator Rain Gutter Roof Rack  on hard top- Safe or not? Screenshot_20230102-223843

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The "others" that don't advise it are MOPAR engineers. The load bars can handle the static weight of the kayaks, but what they can't handle is high winds (highway speeds) hitting the kayaks causing massive forces to be dumped into the gutters. The only way I'd feel comfortable mounting a kayak to them would be if I strapped the front of the kayak to the front bumper and back to the tiedowns in the bed to limit how much the kayaks can move, but even then it's at your own risk.
Hmmm I think you and I both are thinking the same things on that. I kinda said that about when I was hauling a canoe around on my MJ. :like: :giggle:
FYI a link to a prior thread on this subject. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ully-carries-2x-10ft-kayaks-on-highway.59258/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sigz

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Thanks for the replies.

So basically what I am getting is - there is a risk, but (as usual) if you take the right precautions you should be fine.

Precautions as in:

Don't exceed (150lbs static weight with Mopar rails)

Attach cross bars to HARD TOP ONLY verses Freedom Panels....

Secure/tie down the bow and stern of the kayak to prevent wind drag/lifting effect from highway speed forces.

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
I could swear I've seen multiple posts that the dynamic load limit on the rain gutter itself was only 88lbs...

Beach Buggy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Utility Engineer
It works, but I thing the key is to minimize front overhand to keep lifting forces low. Keeping static loads reasonable makes sense too. I put a 9’-3” SUP on traditional Thule racks regularly, but set it as far aft as I reasonably can. Feels secure and not overloaded. Photo show was moving my daughter back to campus after the end of last summer.
Jeep Gladiator Rain Gutter Roof Rack  on hard top- Safe or not? 1681945512149
Sponsored