Sponsored

Rear seat power/charging

TacticalRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I don’t have any 12v power in the back for the kids so I was thinking about adding a small inverter. Nothing crazy big. Just enough to charge phones and maybe a laptop or Nintendo switch. Has anyone done this? Should I have a switch inline to turn it off? Please post pics if you have. Thanks!
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I don’t have any 12v power in the back for the kids so I was thinking about adding a small inverter. Nothing crazy big. Just enough to charge phones and maybe a laptop or Nintendo switch. Has anyone done this? Should I have a switch inline to turn it off? Please post pics if you have. Thanks!
For those devices adding a 12volt outlet would be more efficient since they all take DC power for the most part. My JT has a standard plug back there but I have wanted to add a 12 volt there as well.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
You should have a pair of USB A/C ports in the back of the Center Console. See page 69 in the manual. Those can charge phones and some laptops that use USB C for the rear seat passengers.

If you need a 12v port back there I would just get a a splitter for the front 12V port and add an extension to send 12v to the rear seat area.

Like this: Cigarette Lighter Socket 3 USB Charger Splitter 12V Outlet Power Adapter Car NEW | eBay

Or as you said if you need 110v then get an inverter, plug it to the front 12v, then plug the necessary items from the back seat the inverter in the front along the bottom of the seat between the seat and the center console.

OP
OP

TacticalRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should have a pair of USB A/C ports in the back of the Center Console. See page 69 in the manual. Those can charge phones and some laptops that use USB C for the rear seat passengers.

If you need a 12v port back there I would just get a a splitter for the front 12V port and add an extension to send 12v to the rear seat area.

Like this: Cigarette Lighter Socket 3 USB Charger Splitter 12V Outlet Power Adapter Car NEW | eBay

Or as you said if you need 110v then get an inverter, plug it to the front 12v, then plug the necessary items from the back seat the inverter in the front along the bottom of the seat between the seat and the center console.
I’ve looked all through the back and can’t find any usb chargers back there. I was under the impression not all models have that. Is that true?
And I’d rather not have wires running all over the place. I guess I’m looking for a little more permanent.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
If you have them they should be right under the rear window buttons on the back of the center console.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Under the batteries in the firewall, there is a place to pass through a fair size battery cable. It is easiest to access it through the fenderwell by partially or fully removing the passenger side liner. I ran a 4awg to under my back seat to use for many things like audio, charging, lighting, and whatever else comes up. For my charging circuits, for the kids. I added an 80 amp switched relay From stinger (amazon) and a Blue Sea fuse box. The switch signal comes from the aux panel wiring under the passenger side dash. ARB and other companies make the automotive sealed aux power pods, you can load with a number of DC chargers. I found some quick charge variants like the apple and samsung turbo chargers. They are not fancy and lighted but most things charge in 20 minites or less. Kids love them. Issue I have now is I need lighting. They cannot find them at night.
Jeep Gladiator Rear seat power/charging 20200224_221027
Jeep Gladiator Rear seat power/charging 0715202003_HDR
Jeep Gladiator Rear seat power/charging 0715202004
Jeep Gladiator Rear seat power/charging 0715202003c_HDR

OP
OP

TacticalRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Under the batteries in the firewall, there is a place to pass through a fair size battery cable. It is easiest to access it through the fenderwell by partially or fully removing the passenger side liner. I ran a 4awg to under my back seat to use for many things like audio, charging, lighting, and whatever else comes up. For my charging circuits, for the kids. I added an 80 amp switched relay From stinger (amazon) and a Blue Sea fuse box. The switch signal comes from the aux panel wiring under the passenger side dash. ARB and other companies make the automotive sealed aux power pods, you can load with a number of DC chargers. I found some quick charge variants like the apple and samsung turbo chargers. They are not fancy and lighted but most things charge in 20 minites or less. Kids love them. Issue I have now is I need lighting. They cannot find them at night.
Exactly what I was looking for thanks. Where did you get the usb charger pod? Thanks

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Only issue is the ports in the JT are absolute garbage. They can't even put out 15 wats, let alone 18w pd on the USB-C ports. Can't do a laptop or fast charge a samsung, a nintendo switch would even have issues not running down the battery on these. Its a shame, but I tested every port and get almost the same low specs. For some reason the usb-a port in the console actually put out the most power in my testing.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Awesome write up and idea. Only part that would give me hesitation is kids spilling their drinks in the usb ports since it's right by the cupholder, but otherwise slick install!

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Awesome write up and idea. Only part that would give me hesitation is kids spilling their drinks in the usb ports since it's right by the cupholder, but otherwise slick install!
Yeah that was a thought but they are easy enough to replace. My kids take the whole house with them so I figured they would keep this space clear for their water bottles, which they seem to do. The priceier chargers are IP67 so far so good

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
I want to add USB but keep oem look.I found the part number and it looks to have three plugs (via images from eBay). Two micro USB and one plug I'm assuming to utilize AA or carplay... Has anyone successfully installed the oem USB plugs? I onky want to use the ports for charging Part number 68453787AA. I
Sponsored