Rear view camera

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I have not used a rear view camera until I got the Gladiator Rubicon. Is it normal for objects to be considerably closer than they appear? I mean I think if I was to backup to something into the red that I would hit that object before I even get into the red. The first time I noticed it, I backed up and a large dumpster was a fair distance back in the camera but I looked in my side mirror and almost sh*t myself. I almost hit the dumpster! So I am back to relying on my mirrors again.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Just something you'll get used to with some practice. I didn't like it and still don't love it, but there is utility in a rear camera. EVERY person who has gone for a ride or driven my JTR has commented on what an amazing camera the Jeep has!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have not used a rear view camera until I got the Gladiator Rubicon. Is it normal for objects to be considerably closer than they appear? I mean I think if I was to backup to something into the red that I would hit that object before I even get into the red. The first time I noticed it, I backed up and a large dumpster was a fair distance back in the camera but I looked in my side mirror and almost sh*t myself. I almost hit the dumpster! So I am back to relying on my mirrors again.
You should never rely on just the camera. This is the first vehicle I ever owned with a camera. I had to learn to use and rely on mirrors. I have found this camera to work very well. I can back right up to a wall without hitting it.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
The backup camera is most likely better than the ones used to dock the old early space shuttles to the space stations. So it is useful. Real time. If you don't hit what ever your backing to in the camera, your not hitting it. Directly in back I mean. It is better than a rear view mirror. But it must be used in conjunction with with the side mirrors and head turn as necessary. You just need to get accustomed to it.

The business I am in has had a 50% drop in backing accidents since back up cameras installed. Most of the other 50%... the driver states they were looking in a side mirror, or not looking at all because they didn't think any thing was back there.
Sponsored