Retractable Tonneau Cover

Detroit Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Master of Time & Space
So i thought i had time to research after market stuff for my ordered JT. Dealership said 8 -12 weeks and it showed up in my driveway in 4....so now I'm in panic mode.

Thought I was going to add a cap/topper but now I'm leaning towards a retractable (not roll=up) tonneau cover..

any thoughts?
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The box into which the cover retracts is located below the cover and inside your bed space. It takes up some room. The JT bed is not big to begin with, so just check that out. It might not be a problem for you - just depends what you want to put in your bed. The aluminum retractable covers I was shopping 4 years ago were really nice, and could support a lot of weight when closed. They also provide much better security than most other tonneau covers. :like:

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I had a Roll-N'-Lock cover on my last truck, they make one for the Gladiator too. It was very nice, but I decided to go with the Bak Revolver X4 instead. It's a similar hard roll up, but it goes above the rails. Due to the smaller Jeep bed, I didn't want to give up the 8" or so for the roll up box. If I ever need the full space, based on installation time, I should be able to take off the roll in a few minutes and 4 nuts and bolts.

OP
OP

Detroit Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Master of Time & Space
I was thinking an advantage to the retractable is being able to cover part of the bed.....like carrying something at the rear of the bed that was taller than the bed. If that makes sense.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I was thinking an advantage to the retractable is being able to cover part of the bed.....like carrying something at the rear of the bed that was taller than the bed. If that makes sense.
I also have the Bak Revolver X4, and the way it locks into place you can have something in the back by the tailgate, roll the cover up to the item you have sticking up and lock the cover in place.
To do this you just have to use bungee cords or something to pull down on the side rail locks. It will keep the cover from rolling back. I can post a picture later if you would like.

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if you look at pic 1 it shows the track that the cover rolls out on. Second picture is the aluminum rail that comes out to lock the entire tonneau cover. So I figured out that if you hold down the aluminum rail it will lock the cover in place. Cannot roll forward towards the cab. It can however roll back but where's it going to go?
So what I did was drill a small hole in the arm where the cover pushes down to lock itself in place, added a small bungee cord to keep the arm locked down when I need to transport something but still want to keep most of the bed covered.
What's nice is locking the cover down this way you have almost unlimited adjustment.

20210407_133532.jpg

20210407_133559.jpg

20210407_133728.jpg

20210407_133904.jpg

20210407_133829.jpg

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Great idea, never thought of that. :) I have the same wheel well toolbox too (though I only have one) biggest issue with them and the bedcover is that you need to open the bedcover and swing them out for full access to the lid.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
So if you look at pic 1 it shows the track that the cover rolls out on. Second picture is the aluminum rail that comes out to lock the entire tonneau cover. So I figured out that if you hold down the aluminum rail it will lock the cover in place. Cannot roll forward towards the cab. It can however roll back but where's it going to go?
So what I did was drill a small hole in the arm where the cover pushes down to lock itself in place, added a small bungee cord to keep the arm locked down when I need to transport something but still want to keep most of the bed covered.
What's nice is locking the cover down this way you have almost unlimited adjustment.
Wow that is nice. Is the cover relatively waterproof when closed up?

My wife wants an ARE cap like as soon as we get the truck, but I'm trying to convince her we can hold off and maximize lockable storage with something like this. I'd be more inclined to go ahead and get the cap if I could lay down in the bed but since I can't I don't really see the rush.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Mine is very water tight, along both sides there's a nice rubber gasket that runs the full length of the bed. There's a foam gasket at the front of the bed and at the top of the tailgate. Installation is not difficult either. The cap I had after the roll-n-lock always leaked at the corners :)

Sponsored

rowbarre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ, 2020 JTR
What is the measurement from the floor of the bed to the bottom of the Bak Revolver X4? I'm curious how much space there is for a fridge and fridge slide underneath.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great idea, never thought of that. :) I have the same wheel well toolbox too (though I only have one) biggest issue with them and the bedcover is that you need to open the bedcover and swing them out for full access to the lid.
I modified the swing case stop so that I only need to unlock the Tonneau cover and can access the box. It does not hit the truck.

20210407_183737.jpg

20210407_183613.jpg

20210407_183541.jpg

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Man, you're just full of good ideas. Got any hot stock tips :LOL:

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech

Jeep Gladiator Retractable Tonneau Cover 20210407_183541

What bed rack is this? The Bak Revolver works okay with it as far as rolling up? any water leaks under the cover because of the rack mounts? Great setup

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What bed rack is this? The Bak Revolver works okay with it as far as rolling up? any water leaks under the cover because of the rack mounts? Great setup
It's the Voodoo Max Modular rack. The Revolver works great, rolls all the way up.
No leaks for me. But I did add extra weather stripping to my setup.
Sponsored